Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

To be honnest, I am not really impressed... "Wings of pray" had better visuals of ground.

Generally, I was hoping for some last minute surprise in graphics of ground and clouds.
This is year 2011, so these visuals are OK... but not impressive.

I've been following screenshots updates for many, many months... I honestly can't see what is so new in these 2 videos - that we haven't seen so far in update screens ?

This is brand new project... and should look much better than moded "Il-2 1946" but, except dynamic lightning and cockpit graphics, it is not the case.

Simulation feeling will be great, Oleg is master, number 1 in that field... but I was expecting better, more realistic clouds and ground visuals...

Just my calm analyses... nothing more - nothing less...

( no need to start the third wolrd war by fan-boys... or forum "inquisition" cry: to ban the member who dared to analyse the presentation )

Last edited by Sasha; 03-04-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbnSolmyr View Post
Lol, northern France IS quite flat ! This is the flatest area of my country, with Aquitaine. So nothing's wrong here.
Very interesting! I can remember thinking the same thing of certain areas of France I have flown over, but others have reminded me of England, with there being a large patchwork of hedges. I have a picture of some Blenheims over France, and the variety of hedges can clearly be seen.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Approved Member

No worries. Everybody has his own preferences.

Oleg goes for realism.

Birds of Prey for fast lighthearted action with cinematic contrasts and effects.

As long as you don't claim BoP to look more realistic, IMHO that's just fine.

However, I prefer realism. That's why I prefer IL2:CoD over BoP any time.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye View Post
So have you actually ever fallen out of a plane? He is in the correct body position to fall stable. Granted he tumbles for a little longer than I would expect, but it is miles better than the sequences in IL-2.

I know this, because I am skydiver.
I know better cos' I am the pope.

Seriously: I don't mind his tumbling. His legs, arms and head don't move. He's a solid entity. He's a brick.

And I'm not only talking about the bailout situation, but about a convincing human animations in general. I haven't seen any.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
Better at jumping through hedges though LOL
On a more serious note Kye,how would the fall differentiate when it is an emergency bailout from a damaged plane to a more controlled one.
Have you seen this ,any thoughts anyone
There's lots of testimony and footage of tumbling aircrew. For one thing, a sports parachutist is leaving an aircraft that is travelling slowly, less than 100knots, through a door or from rails on the outside of the aircraft and is immediately going to adopt the 'D' postion to stabilise him or herself. It is possible to be stable immediately upon leaving the aircraft and this is very desirable for static line jumps to ensure a clean opening of the canopy for the novice. But if you're trying to get out of a cockpit in a aircraft that may be moving much more quickly and is probably out of control things are much more difficult, moving into the airstream is going to be problematic, and that crewman or pilot is very aware of the bits of aircraft to the rear of him that he may smash into as he falls so he is instintively going to adopt a fetal position to protect himself. Any asymetry to his profile, is going to induce spin and tumble.

I would say OM is trying to create the appearance of a tumbling crewman to give a sense of historical accuracy, but the model is configured for a stable descent.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post

However, I prefer realism. That's why I prefer IL2:CoD over BoP any time.
+1 I keep up with Oleg from the first release of Il-2 ...Just my expectations and hopes - were unrealisticaly high.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

WWII pilots were taught to stay 'tight' when exiting the aircraft, so as not to hit any part of it on the way out.
They were never taught to adopt a 'stable' skydiving position either. Once out of the cockpit they would remain in a tight position until clear of the aircraft and in a clear airspace, and then simply 'look and locate' the handle and pull.
This was explained to me by an RAF PJI when I did my jumps course.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatSpinMan View Post
Well, there's two in the first post.
Are we trying to be witty?...

My question was legitimate and I do not see why I shhouldn't be entitled to ask. Luthier said weeks ago we would drown in videos, which we haven't so far and that he prepared several that were in need of narration. These we haven't seen as well.

Before you jump on the "be greatful you lousy nobody" bandwagon, let me assure you that I am very appreciative of their work. Still, it incures displeasure to being hold out the prospect of something without it actually being offered. If there wouldn't have been word that we would "drown in videos" no one would have gotten his or her expectations up as it is the case now. That is all I am saying.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Oleg.

I do want to see even more....
Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnigruH View Post
I know better cos' I am the pope.

Seriously: I don't mind his tumbling. His legs, arms and head don't move. He's a solid entity. He's a brick.

And I'm not only talking about the bailout situation, but about a convincing human animations in general. I haven't seen any.

Ahh Ok. I understand you now.

The other two have answered for me, Gary. The fall is exactly the same. You still arch your back and spread your limbs. Although Trooper 117 has answered on a aspect I don't know myself.