Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
I think he knows what he's doing, but mistakes were made in Il-2 and the clouds here don't look realistic. The greyness of this justn't isn't representative of clouds. If clouds carry rain, they will not necessarily have the same colour all over. The clouds here look like that to me.
Is just my observation mate
And I thought you were joking.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
I live on the South coast of England and I see clouds as shown all the time. That's in the context of the ever changing skyscape that is real life. Once again this seems to be an attempt to analyse conditions through a frozen instant of time rather than waiting to see the unfolding scenario in realtime from your seat in your chosen plane. I'd prefer to wait until that comes around.

Anyway, comfort yourself by looking at shot #5 - notice that every cloud has a silver lining

brando
I can see what you mean. But it's hard to point out; there will be places in clouds like this that are whiter in relation to the darker areas and then there will be the dark areas which carry rain; in particular the dark bottoms of the cloud (which have been missing from any updates shown).
Anyway, it's just my observation. I too live in England, but have yet to see this type of uniform quality shown in every cloud in one area of sky
Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
You thought wrong Don't make a habit of it.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

Mr. Oleg,

The good news: You and your team have an incredible following.

The bad news: You and your team have an incredible following.

We are all obsessed with SOW and are having a hard time being patient. I paid $2,300 for a new computer in anticipation of running this game. OK, I needed a new computer anyway. Take all these semi-insane posts as a compliment and thanks for the video. My doctor called and he said I'm going to live. Bless you.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
What was the weather like at this point in the BoB?
Even if they were rain clouds, they just wouldn't look like that. My point is, they don't look like any clouds I have ever seen in Britain. You can argue all you want, but they just aren't 2010 standard (as far as the screenshots tell). Of course, as Oleg said, these could be old shots etc
But look at the work of REX or even the new DCS game and the clouds there look better IMHO.
This is just constructive criticism; I'm not whining about it as I said that these features can be changed later. It won't put me off buying the game, but it'd be nice for photo-relastic clouds and terrain. I'm sure it could be achieved in the game.

REX's clouds are 100% sure a lot less good than we just saw in the screens, and the clouds from DCS A10indeed look good, but those are finished and we didn't see them up close and HD like we did here. And the SOW clouds are still WiP I think. saying REX looks better blablabla isn't really constructive The clouds from REX have have large tga texture files and only have a couple of particles per cloud, they are verry 2D. The SOW clouds are almost fully volumetric, so they can't have that big textures.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

Some nice shots of terrain as well.

One of the first thing you learn when taking up photography: Your mind plays tricks on you.
So what you "see" is quite often not what you get.

Now combine all screenshots and update's from say the last year ......
extrapolate abit ......
Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

Wohoooo! They have changed the default colouring for the British markings! Thanks Oleg!

Visit No 79 Squadron vRAF

Petter Bøckman
Norway
Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Thankyou Oleg!

Please ignore the people with their ears closed. They do not matter.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Approved Member

first off, thanks for the update oleg, looking fantastic. particularly liking the implication that you can knock out the guns, not just gunners.
and you make an interesting allusion to the pilots helmets, or lack of them, having some effect...
good luck with the move, and thank you for your continnued posting of updates. i've been to many other game forums and the level of involvement from developers is usually near zero, occasionally some paid mouthpiece will make an appearance, but never the guy who is actually in charge of the operation.

people would do well to consider this when making demands. we don't have a right to anything whatsoever, and in the software industry weekly updates and discussion with the developer are rarer than hen's teeth being found in rocking horse sh*t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
Oleg,

Will it be possible to create "polished metal" skins for aircraft using the beautiful metal effect that can be seen where the paint is worn away on the Fiat G.50 fighters?

Thank you
i believe i have seen early screen of a bare metal spit, with a highly polished effect to it. it looked very shiny...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecke View Post
If that was the case, everything would be fine.
But I am sure this unfortunately is the real thing and I am not happy with it.
you are a whiny ingrate who has very little positive to say. 6 year olds that behaved like you would get a slapped backside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150GCT_Veltro View Post
I'm not really impressed too with terrain textures, but we need to wait for some video to better evaluate it.

Nice pics indeed but it's time for some video and more info. I need a start engine procedure video (with sound) with a DB601 to be really impressed. We can't wait to fly an advanced Emil over the Channel.
1. who cares if you're impressed or not.
2. you need. don't dare to ascribe others with your same ill manners.
3. that will come when it is time, and i don't believe you are the one with the development schedule in your hand are you.
4. you'll get that when you buy the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Im sure someone like Cannon could sort the terrain out in no time at all , his terrain for Il2 is better than what we are seeing here at this moment in time.
hahahahahah yeah. right. have you seen some of the airfields on the french side of the channel? calling them low res would be being very complementary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
Hmm.. I know what you mean - see 'shades of things to come' in vids section.
That map does have its own peculiarities though, and still has many of those strange IL2 woods.
I just have a feeling we're not being shown the full terrain for some reason, which is why I asked about add-ons and bugs.
because it's meant to be a teaser, a work in progress, not a collection of screenshots for the back of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
Some early video. Crew animation visible outside of aircraft. Glitches are present! This was recorded some couple of months ago for the test how it looks on the video (not all frames smoothly grabbed by a programm).
Here is two merged scenes. One gunner is moving from bottom to top and then side gunner moved in bottom turret.

No more today.

And when you will ask again please remember, that said yesterday I will look is it possible or not.
I decided - not possible. Sound is one of the main reason. Second reason I see much better on computer and can't record it now...

I always see some comments even when I say some notice that is is not the things that you will see...

So the next videos we will post only when I will say I want it post.

Hope understand-able.
thank you oleg. how you maintain your patience is a mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
In other words, people look at screen shots and this video and criticize them even AFTER Oleg and company have said things like "these are old" or "these are WiP".

Thank you for posting the video. I caught some cool things in it but I am sure others will pick it apart even though it is months old.

Splitter
+1
Quote:
Some my thoughts

Strange people.
Said is impossible - ask to give anyway.
I post and speak to people.... again bad...
I post each week even when told that it will be hard for me...

I think would be much beter to make like others... several screenshots and advertizing video, corrected and re-rendered... or completely rendered not in engine.... That will be cool...
indeed. they confuse wip shots with finished advertising shots.
Quote:
Currently there is two systems of view. One like in Il-2, another new.
I'm thinking how it rework a bit... the second one.... and more and more see that Il-2 system was the best really.... But in Il-2 system is impossible to control some absolutely new things..

Some "non fixed" camera is in plan. But not ready. First we should fix the bugs, then try to think about such additional for filmmakers features.
i had been wondering about this. il2 has, in my view, the best external view system i've come across. it makes the game something easy to get into, and means you can appreciate the effort gone into the visuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanel View Post
Bad apples..?? Jerks???... ups, I think some of you guys are doing a mountain (big one...) with all this. So we can not ask for videos, what is clear after Mr. Maddox answer to my post, but you can insult some of us just for doing this?? And one moderator... astonished...

This is only my personal opinion; of course I am grateful to Mr. Maddox and the team for showing us this fantastic product development, but please do not miss the focus: this is a commercial product, we are going to pay for it and we have the rights to ask (always in a polite and constructive way, as some of us use to do), for some more information related to the sim. And of course, you have the right to answer or not.

But please, do not critizise for doing this... and much worse to insult others, like you are doing in your post. Respect other opinions.

Thanks.
1. should be the first thing that you say tbh.
2. no, no you don't. go visit some other fora, see the lists of topics complaining that the devs don't communicate, then come back and read through here and try to understand why we are lucky and how we could ruin a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanator21 View Post
Constructive criticism is not "The terrain sucks, looks like a watercolor, looks worse than 1946, the terrain has poor resolution, this effect is not up to standards"

The fact is that we're seeing the highest resolution terrain in a sim to date, with houses and trees added painstakingly by hand. Maybe you and I and other and Oleg don't agree about the colors, but that's no reason to bash someone's years of work to say that a child could have done better. Your computer probably won't run the game at all due to its sheer complexity, and the clouds are too grey.

Remember people, Oleg and team are not required to show us anything, they don't owe us anything. SoW could have been developed under covers without a single screen-shot posted.

Oleg said this week that he couldn't post a screen-shot because that would mean compiling the code and other things - too difficult because of the move. Well, he posts a screen shot anyway. He only said he might consider posting a video, and that nothing was promised. He posts a video anyway.

At least take the time to punch out a "Thank You".

So, thanks Oleg and team for all your posts and patience with all of us. Have a good week, good luck sorting out the move.

BTW, the screen-shots and video look great this week (and I sincerely mean it). Too many good things to say. (lighting, crew animation, paint flakes, bare aluminum, clouds in 5th pic look awesome - just as they should, etc....)
+many
Quote:
It's a computer program, not a made-to-order sandwich bar.
it isn't?!?!?!?!1!!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
you've been around long enough to know that when you think "is he joking?"...

he isn't.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
It's a computer program, not a made-to-order sandwich bar.
ROFL, exactly.

I'm paying $50 for this game so I get a say in it? Not likely.

I totally agree that giving helpful information to the development team is good for them as it probably saves them some research time. But, saying "that isn't up to 2010 standards" does nothing helpful for anyone (except maybe making the person doing the criticizing feel superior in some way).

However, feeling that because you plan to pay $50 for the game you are owed a certain change being made or a further insight into the game as it stands in Moscow today...well that's just silly and an example of an over inflated view of the worth of one's opinion.

Isn't it obvious to anyone else that we often get screen shots for what they are working on at the moment? And because what they are working on at the moment may not be compatible with something they have done in another area in the past, other aspects (like terrain, lighting, clouds, etc.) appear more rudimentary than they have in past screen shots? Isn't it strange to anyone else that in some past screen shots the terrain looks better than it does in some more recent screen shots? Do you actually think they are regressing? No, they are highlighting a certain aspect for this week.

For goodness sakes, READ the entire thread before spouting your opinion. You DO owe that to the rest of the community. How many times do we see a criticism on an item that has already been EXPLAINED by Oleg or Luthier in a previous post? They just haven't tied the "good terrain" to the "good lighting" (or whatever)...yet.

Lastly, and I promise to end this rant (ungrateful SOB's with feelings of entitlement grate my nerves, sorry), how stupid would it be for Oleg to throw all of his cards on the table for the competition to see? How dumb would it be for him to hold nothing back for the "great unveiling"? I dunno about you, but the gals I dated never showed up to a first date naked....a little mystery can be a good thing.

(ok, there was this one time that this gal...oh, never mind)

Splitter