Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Approved Member

I think there is a major point that is being missed here.

Weather real pilots use click-pits or not is pointless, this is a PC simulation we're talking about here, not the real thing. Yes there are pilots that don't like them and I know a real helo pilot that swears by it when he flies Black Shark - So what!?. The point is, what does a click-pit add to a sim? It adds immersion, not realism, but immersion. And I think that is what is being missed here.

At the end of the day it's Oleg that will make the call, and to add a click-pit to SoW will only enhance the game. Everyone should remember it come does to choice, if people don't like it, no one will force them to use it.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
I think there is a major point that is being missed here.
It adds immersion, not realism, but immersion. And I think that is what is being missed here.
I can understand that.
If operating a complex CEM (which I think everybody would be pleased with) with a clickable interface add no immersion for me, I understand well it adds for others and makes them more satisfied.
So clickable interface for them it would be nice, either via stock release or by modders (Since Oleg said it would be possible)... still I don't think it will bring much extra peoples to play SoW.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama View Post
Istill I don't think it will bring much extra peoples to play SoW.

Bingo.

People that are playing the current sim will continue with SOW. Guys pretending to be airline pilots doing real time cross country flights in jet airliners won't know what to do with an Avro Anson, much less a single seater fighter aircraft with a combat radius of a few hundred miles.

Like I said, apples and oranges.

I don't mind more complexity in the cockpit as long as I can interface with it my way. What I don't want is a tiny planset because too much time is involved implementing so called clickpits, because if the choice is between clickpits and a new flyable aircraft type, I want the airframe.

Simple as that.

I like airplanes, not pushing buttons.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 02-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Guys pretending to be airline pilots doing real time cross country flights in jet airliners won't know what to do with an Avro Anson, much less a single seater fighter aircraft with a combat radius of a few hundred miles
But what about guys that want to pretend to fly AND fight a world war 2 fighter...
Surely as a Combat Flight Simulator SOW-BOB should incorporate at least an element of realistic flight: IE Engine Management, Fuel Management and realistic FMs...without that it is just a game...

Quote:
I like airplanes, not pushing buttons
Does that mean you merely dislike Clickpits...or are opposed to realistic levels of functionality being modelled in SOW-BOB (regardless of the interface implemented)..is that a dislike of a mouse based interface...or a preference for a low workload generic flight environment allowing a concentration on the "fun" of dogfighting?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Bingo.

People that are playing the current sim will continue with SOW. Guys pretending to be airline pilots doing real time cross country flights in jet airliners won't know what to do with an Avro Anson, much less a single seater fighter aircraft with a combat radius of a few hundred miles.

Like I said, apples and oranges.

I don't mind more complexity in the cockpit as long as I can interface with it my way. What I don't want is a tiny planset because too much time is involved implementing so called clickpits, because if the choice is between clickpits and a new flyable aircraft type, I want the airframe.

Simple as that.

I like airplanes, not pushing buttons.

With all due respect to you, (and I do respect you) I think your "bingo" may be in error. Have you ever asked yourself...Why would the SU-26 be in a WW2 flight combat sim?

The reason I believe, is to bring in as many of those as you say "pretend airline pilot's" as possible. I have a strong feeling that the SU-26 will be the most realistic aircraft that 1C has ever offered to us. It's very possible that it will be released as a "by the book" aircraft. Just a gut feeling that I have, and the only explanation that would seem logical to me.

If you truly like aircraft, you would want to know those buttons, and push them when needed. War machines are complicated, would you not want to know the buttons in a tank or submarine?...I think that you would.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
Why would the SU-26 be in a WW2 flight combat sim?

The reason I believe, is to bring in as many of those as you say "pretend airline pilot's" as possible.
My oppinion is completelly different...

I think that the purpose of the the Su26 is only to demonstrate how close SoW fm are to reality. Since it would be impossible to compare with the few remaining warbirds (which are not equiped (armor load, ammunition load, etc...), as they were during WWI, and which are never flown to the limits... for obvious reasons)
There are much more Su26 pilots that can compare and comments on the SoW Su26 fm... that's the reason (And Oleg gaves some hints in that direction when the Su26 screens were first displayed on ORR).

A secondary reason could be to please those attracted with virtual stunt... but that's certainly not the main reason.
... even in that case, most of the potential players wanting to practice virtual stunt are interested by fm... not by pre-flight check-lists, tower radio or VOR use (that will certainly not be modelled in SoW...) ...

Last edited by Rama; 02-14-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Approved Member

OK Gents, I am not, I repeat not, against higher levels of cockpit work load. We definitely need better management of aircraft systems. Here I am on the same page as you guys.

What I don't want is an enforced cockpit interface. Either way.

And like I said, if it comes to clickpits or airframes, I want the new airframe.

As to the Sukhoi 26, I believe it is being included as a "proof of FM" tool.
The Su 26 is one of the most well known aerobatic aircraft world wide, it's flight parameters have been instrumented and documented in the most minute detail. Hence Oleg is using it to prove the veracity of the overall physics model of the new sim. At least that is how it's inclusion was explained to me.

If it brings in some new players from FSx fine, but don't expect Oleg to start modeling Airbus 380s, God forbid.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

I think that the purpose of the the Su26 is only to demonstrate how close SoW fm are to reality. Since it would be impossible to compare with the few remaining warbirds (which are not equiped (armor load, ammunition load, etc...), as they were during WWI, and which are never flown to the limits... for obvious reasons)
There are much more Su26 pilots that can compare and comments on the SoW Su26 fm... that's the reason (And Oleg gaves some hints in that direction when the Su26 screens were first displayed on ORR).

A secondary reason could be to please those attracted with virtual stunt... but that's certainly not the main reason.
... even in that case, most of the potential players wanting to practice virtual stunt are interested by fm... not by pre-flight check-lists, tower radio or VOR use (that will certainly not be modelled in SoW...) ...

Too simplistic a reason to add such an aircraft...that aircraft is added to get sale's! and sale's it will get

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 02-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Approved Member

You is wrong, be sure.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

This is correct, I believe based on what I've read in interviews and around the screens.