Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

Great pictures! It would be neat to see picture#3, but with some planes flying at low altitude. How visible are planes against the ground?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

I thought the landscape looked nicer about 3 - 4 months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shot_20100805_210304.jpg (1.43 MB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg shot_20100617_211335.jpg (402.1 KB, 282 views)
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Approved Member

OMG A golf course!!!

edit: It's "Walmer & Kingsdown GC"
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...32093&t=h&z=14

It's not all bang on but frankly only a moron would expect it to be, but worth noting are the Dover Road (A258 ) and Deal railway line are positioned correctly

Last edited by Osprey; 10-15-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Oleg for a delightful update. Have a good weekend.

A couple of replies to the thread.

Tally ho is indeed a fox-hunting term, and was used by the pilots to indicate visual recognition of enemy aircraft, as in "Tally ho, bandits at ten o'clock low" or whatever. It wasn't, however, an order to attack. That came after recognition, and came from the squadron leader, flight leader or section leader, with detail on what form the attack would take.
A little research will reveal that the make-up of the pre-war RAF contained many officers from the 'hunting, shooting and fishing' set, so it's really not surprising that they used a fox-hunting term.

As for similarities in the buildings, that's just how it was. The great Victorian expansion brought a systematic use of identical houses and roofs, aided by the use of the railway to import the materials. A trainload of slates from the Welsh mountains would mean hundreds or even thousands of similarly-toned roofs, so, if anything, there is still a little too much variation of colour rather than too little. Likewise for a trainload of bricks - all from the same brickworks - this would mean streets and streets of identically coloured houses. Of course there may be the occasional burst of orange, where some kind of tile has been used on a few houses; and one might expect to see cement rendering on the walls of more 'quality' dwellings. Occasional buildings might even still be thatched, though rarely in a town, and Welsh slate was the most common roofing.

These facts tend to dictate the colours and shades I guess. Slate roofs are a glossy dark grey when wet, but dry to a pastel grey when dry. They are sheets of stone after all, unlike tiles which are made of clay.
The average brick is generally matt too, with only 'engineering grade' bricks having a semi-glazed surface. These were most commomly used for tunnel openings, bridgeworks and railway buildings. Even after rain they are generally matt in appearance as towns and cities tended to be.

The one part that is not particularly noticeable, and I have no idea how it may be achieved, is the overall pall of coal smoke that was general at the time. I guess it may be argued that the BoB took place in summer when coal-burning was at its lowest and that's fair. It is still important to remember the effect of 50 to 100 years of coal burning, which left it's mark on every building.
It's probably something that most people born after the mid-Sixties (in England) cannot recall at all. In the time of the war it was a big factor as far as overall colouration is concerned.

Excuse me for rabbiting on. I'm over sixty and I have strong memories of the drabness that decades of coal use brought to the townscapes.
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
In German language they speaks other. Its a "traslation" of German speech

If you remember In Il-2 Germans ware saying sometime the word Scheise.... but it wasn't traslated directly in English or Russian, or any other language that were supporting later in Il-2

Could I humbly request that you don't go too politically correct and keep with language of the time? For example, I am also looking forward to the Peter Jackson remake of Dambusters but he's already had to change the name of Gibsons dog because some over sensitive pillocks can't handle the reality of life at the time.

thanks, it's all immersion.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
All these pictures would be, I´m sure, awesome three years ago but today they are normal, very nice but normal.Sorry but it´s a long time.
I suggest to delete this member, must be an alias of s.o.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Approved Member

We will see what happens in a few months Swiss
Old 10-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Approved Member

very nice !

and the icons are telling us that SoW:BoB will have a C-4 variant of the Bf110 , that means it has mineshell firing MG-FF/M canons

so the hopes for a 109E-4 are not dead
Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
All these pictures would be, I´m sure, awesome three years ago but today they are normal, very nice but normal.Sorry but it´s a long time.
well, 1 post and your nick also says all...
Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
OMG A golf course!!!

edit: It's "Walmer & Kingsdown GC"
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...32093&t=h&z=14

It's not all bang on but frankly only a moron would expect it to be, but worth noting are the Dover Road (A25 and Deal railway line are positioned correctly
Theres another one (golf course) a little higer up the pic too.. maybe sandwich? but there's loads of courses out there..