Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 12-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major.kudo View Post
I got you in your first post, but the drawing is just hilarious. And yes it would be nice to have battles end without one side totally wiped out. Tactical retreat is a word that is currently not in the AI's dictionary - they only try to run when they are already in too deep.

Quote:
http://gachopin.no-ip.info/kudo/bombardier.jpg
I want to play this in mltiplayer games.
Strange, never had this feeling. Have you ever tried this:
1.Find out at what %throttle and altitude your plane reaches what speed after ~10 mins flight -in QMB.
2.Fly towards target, accelerate with more rpm than needed for bombing, until you reach your bombing speed, then throttle back to desired rpm.
Meanwhile input data into bombsight -works from pilots seat.
3.Trim plane
4.Engage Level stabiliser
5.Switch to bombardiers seat, set bomsight to maximum useful forward elevation, towards target.
6.Correct your flight path with rudder trim -and rudder trim only!, or if target is too far off left/right, disengage level stab and adjust flight path.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Approved Member

Great drawings, major.kudo!! Even my wife enjoyed them very much, and understood in a moment what you mean. Could we get some more, please?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for update!
Vierling and camera for the bombs:
Old 12-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
In 1941, average IJN pilots were flying over 800h before first air combat.
They think that is "Average".
In terms of IL2 skill levels, I'd call most pre-1942 IJN pilots Veteran, with a higher than average number of Aces. A pilot straight from training school would be considered "Average."

Quote:
But in 1944, average Japanese navy's pilots are fling only 200h before first air combat.
Kamikaze's crew also had the pilot of less than 200h.
Yep. Midway and the battles of attrition in the Southwest Pacific decimated the IJN's pilots. (It wasn't helped by the IJN high command's stupid and callous personnel policy. Rather than rotating its best pilots out of combat, using them to train new pilots, then promoting them and using them as squadron leaders for the next generation of pilots, the IJN neither promoted nor rotated its its best people.)

In IL2 terms, I'd guess that IJN pilot quality was as follows:

33 to mid 1942 - 20% Average, 70% Veteran, 10% Ace.
Late 42 to late 1943 - 40% Average, 55% Veteran, 5% Ace.
Early 1944 - 40% Rookie, 40% Average, 15% Veteran, 5% Ace.
Mid 1944 to 1945 - 60% Rookie, 15% Average, 20% Veteran, 5% Ace.

Similar percentages might apply for the IJA and the Luftwaffe.

These numbers are not only based on IJN training hours, but also the fact that (at least according to one author on Fighter Tactics) there are no "average" fighter pilots. After 10 combat missions, all pilots become "veteran" in terms of being able to survive to the end of their next mission.
But, despite that, only 5% of all pilots have the "Ace Factor" that results in them claiming more than 2-3 kills.

Quote:
Well stated!

What you're asking for is historically realistic levels of damaged and destroyed planes in AI combat.

I think that the problem is that IL2 vastly overstates your typical pilot's level of aggression and situational awareness (i.e., the ability to mentally track a plane when when the pilot can't see it, and understand its energy state and its pilots intentions.). While that makes for great fun, it seriously messes up dynamic campaign results and isn't historically realistic.

Historically, in WW2 when there was a squadron vs. squadron level fight between Average pilots, here's what happened:

1) If one side had a tactical advantage, they would "bounce" the opposing side, with each pilot diving on a victim and shooting it up before disenaging - possibly for another attack. Simultaneously, the disadvantaged side would maneuver to escape.

2) If there was no tactical advantage, a "furball" (a melee involving multiple planes) between would briefly develop.

But, here's why IL2 AI is so much more deadly than real life.

1) Diving bounce. Pilots are going to be attacking at high speeds than normal, leaving less time for them to aim and fire and possibly making them mistake target speed and distance. Gunnery accuracy will suffer accordingly due to the somewhat unfamiliar situation. Some pilots will also hesitate to shoot or fail to shoot at all, either due to nerves or moral qualms about killing.

Average or better pilots will also be thinking about the possibility of an ambush by a hidden "high squadron" of enemy planes. They are much more likely to go for a single pass that allows them to disengage. They will then regain altitude and continue on their mission.

The defending planes suffer the emotional shock of being attacked from surprise. They will maneuver defensively seeking to escape. They will not attempt to reengage their attackers until they gain a significant tactical advantage. They are very likely to lose contact with their attackers before this can happen. If the defenders appear to be outnumbered, they will not reengage.

The exception is that an attacking ace might stick around to fight rather than immediately disengaging, while a defending ace will ignore odds that are against him both in terms of numbers and position.

An "ace quality" leader (e.g., someone like Werner Moelders or Hubert Zemke) is critical here, since his aggression will carry over to the rest of the planes in his squadron. In that case, the entire formation might come back for another attack or stick around to dogfight. "Solo aces" like "Buzz" Buerling might carry on the attack after the rest of their formation disengages.

2) Furball. Pilots in a furball have almost no Situational Awareness due to the massive number of planes around them. They're constantly maneuvering and looking around both to avoid colliding and to avoid being a target, which leaves no time for shooting. Furthermore, most shots taken in a mass dogfight will be very short bursts of fire at high-deflection targets. Simultaneously, due to the constant risk of colliding or being shot at, every pilot is going to be trying to exit the furball. They will attempt to disengage, calm their nerves, gain altitude and regain formation before attacking from a more favorable position. Typically, this means that both sides will disengage with no further contact with that particular enemy formation.

Untrained and Rookie pilots will attempt to disengage from the furball in stupid ways that leave them open to easy shots. For example, they might fly directly away from an attacker to their rear instead of making a diving break. Average or better pilots will plan their disengagement in a more intelligent fashion. Veteran or better pilots will not attempt to disengage if it is actually suicidal to do so.

Ace pilots will attempt to avoid the furball, taking a position above and outside it. If their plane allows, they will use Boom and Zoom tactics to pick off enemy planes at the edge. Otherwise, they will pick a plane exiting the furball in a low energy state and "bounce it" using maneuver tactics to engage and destroy it. The will then disengage, regain altitude and repeat.

Once the furball or "bounce" breaks down into single fights or section vs. section fights (i.e., 2 vs. 2 or 4 vs. 4) separated by at least 2 km, standard fighter tactics apply, but all but Veteran or Ace pilots will be seeking to disengage unless they have a clear advantage over their opponents.

In terms of AI programming:

1) It ought be possible to "overload" the SA of an AI plane. The number of planes (or formations) each AI pilot can keep track of without being able to see them is limited by skill level. I propose 0 = Untrained or Rookie. 2 = Average, 4 = Veteran, 12 = Ace, Unlimited = Superhuman.

When SA gets overloaded, unless the pilot is actively maneuvering to avoid an attack who is shooting him, he must maneuver defensively. First, he maneuvers to check his 6 o'clock, then he maneuvers to regain visual confirmation of all planes he knows to exist (due to visual detection) in excess of his "SA Overload." He will automatically "mark off" planes reported to have crashed or which are farther away than about about 3 km visual range, considering them to be out of combat.

2) It should take AI (pilots and gunners) some amount of time to to "line up" a shot once a plane enters their field of view. I propose: 3 seconds = Untrained or Rookie, 2 = Average, 1 = Veteran, 0.5 = Ace, 0 = Superhuman. The exception is that Average or better pilots can still "line up" shots against an invisible enemy as long as it is within half their SA Overload limit. For example, an Average pilot can still line up a deflection shot against an enemy which has passed under his nose.

Average or better pilots and gunners can still make "snapshots" against targets which suddenly appear right in front of them (i.e., within 50 meters), but their accuracy will be much less than with aimed shots. Reaction time should be about 150 milliseconds for most pilots, perhaps a bit faster for Veteran or Ace (fighter pilots are already selected for good reaction times and 150 ms is better than average). Superhuman should have no delay due to reaction time.

The act of maneuvering defensively or scanning for targets lost due to SA Overload prevents a pilot from aiming and "resets the clock" for the time required to make an aimed shot.

3) There needs to be some sort of "pilot morale" that makes pilots reluctant to attack large formations of enemy planes, especially when outnumbered, except for a single attack from an advantaged position, followed by an attempt to disengage.

Extreme failure of pilot morale should also result in shots taken from extreme ranges, followed by breaking off the attack prematurely.

Single fighter pilots will be unlikely to attack formations enemy fighters regardless of advantage. Instead, they will attempt to disengage and call for reinforcements. The exception is that Veterans might attack when outnumbered up to 4:1 if they "know" can safely "bounce" the formation and safely get away. Aces will attack unlimited number of enemies in this fashion.

Formations of fighters will be a bit more aggressive when attacking if outnumbered, but they will still be quite cautious. Anything more than about 2:1 odds will result in all but the most desperate fighter pilot calling for assistance rather than attacking. Anything over 1.5: 1 will result in a quick slashing attack followed by an attempt to disengage, rather than attempt to "furball." Even Aces will be cautious here (the most aggressive "Ace Leader" will be reluctant to risk the lives of his less talented squadron mates).

Formations of fighters can still be quite aggressive against attack or bomber plane formations.

Against attack planes, anything but an Untrained pilot will attack normally as long as the planes remain in formation. Once they start maneuvering or shooting back, he will treat them like fighters.

But, against heavy bomber formations, fighters will be much more cautious. Pilots whose morale doesn't fail will always make straight-in attacks from the front, high-side attack from 2-4 o' clock or 8-10 o'clock, or a fast diving attack from 4-8 o'clock. In all cases, the attack will carry the attacker past their target in a dive. They will then disengage and attempt to regain advantage. Only Rookies or Untrained pilots will attack directly from the rear or will pull up directly above a bomber formation. Pilots whose morale fails will make attacks at extreme range and will maneuver so that they never get within 300 m of the enemy's guns.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Approved Member

To amend my previous post

* There should also be a Difficulty option button, or a choice for mission builders in the FMB, to ignore any changes that make AI realistically cautious. Lots of missions would just suck if AI planes cared about living to fight another day.

* It goes without saying that any human player will be "Ace level" in terms of aggressiveness. Even an absolute beginner who can barely take off, and who has never heard of deflection shooting, inherently gets the concept of "carry through with the attack once you have started it," and will fearlessly make solo attacks against vast formations of enemy planes.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Approved Member

Since I seem to be hassling the poor TD AI programmers, I'll continue with ideas on how to "customize" pilot characteristics. Some of these factors are already in the game, even if they aren't obvious to FMB builders.

Information is partially cribbed from Mike Spick's "The Ace Factor" but some is my own ignorant opinions.

First of all, pilot skill isn't a monolithic quality. The best combat pilots aren't necessarily the best acrobatic pilots, or the best test pilots. Instead, there are several factors that make an Ace combat pilot:

Bombing Ability

Courage/Aggression - The willingness to engage the enemy and the ability to not panic in a crisis. In a broader sense, the ability to face danger on a regular basis without developing PTSD. Perhaps the most important factor in making an ace.

Deflection Shooting - The ability to make "snap shots" at a maneuvering target using guns. Most aces had this ability at a high level.

Distance Vision - Most aces had superior distance vision, but not all.

Flying Ability - Acrobatics, formation flying and so forth. Surprisingly, many skilled aerobatic pilots never became aces. No known test pilot became an ace, although many aces went on to become successful test pilots.

Leadership Ability - The ability to use other pilots' skills to best ability and to train new pilots. This ability was possessed to a high degree by "Ace Leaders" like Werner Moelders or Hubert Zemke. Formations led by an "Ace" level leader will be more aggressive and will use more effective tactics.

Luck - The ability to avoid injury and critical hits to vital airplane systems, as well as a "6th sense" which lets you detect danger just before you get attacked. Realistically, there's no way to prove that "Luck" exists, but there's a fair bit of evidence that many aces had more than their fair share of it.

Marksmanship - The ability to hit with long range low deflection shots. Few aces had this skill, mostly they just got close to their target and blasted them. There were exceptions, however, who could regularly hit their target at 600+ meters or bring down an enemy with just a few well-placed shots.

Mechanical Ability - the ability to notice and repair mechanical problems and make the most an aircraft's systems. Most aces had some degree of mechanical ability.

Physical Fitness - The ability to withstand repeated or prolonged High-G maneuvers. Important for any combat pilot, but not all aces were in top physical condition. On the other hand, some aces like Ulrich Rudel were fitness fanatics.

Navigation Ability - The ability to know where you are and to use navigation aids to avoid getting lost or colliding with the ground.

Reaction Time - Most aces had average or better reaction times.

Rocket Shooting Ability

Situational Awareness - The ability to mentally keep track of aircraft and formations of aircraft, as well as their energy state, when you cannot see them. The second most important factor in making an ace.

Tactical Ability/Combat Experience - The ability to "keep your head on a swivel" to avoid being surprised. This includes understanding of the limits of your plane and the enemy's plane, including things like turn speeds, arcs of fire and service ceilings. Knowing capabilities and limitations of enemy AAA and ground targets. Ability to use wingmen and other elements of your formation to best ability in combat. Ability to detect enemy ambushes and intentions. Ability to set up ambushes. Aces had this quality at a high level.

Torpedo Dropping Ability
Old 12-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
To amend my previous post

* There should also be a Difficulty option button, or a choice for mission builders in the FMB, to ignore any changes that make AI realistically cautious. Lots of missions would just suck if AI planes cared about living to fight another day.
This would be a great addition
Another scrolldown for agressivity levels, from "timid" to "mad rush"
So if you have the skill rookie or average, it will have the whole range, whilst veterans will not have "mad rush" level, just ending with "agressive"
Aces will start with level "cautious" and end with "agressive" .
Old 12-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
In IL2 terms, I'd guess that IJN pilot quality was as follows:

33 to mid 1942 - 20% Average, 70% Veteran, 10% Ace.
Late 42 to late 1943 - 40% Average, 55% Veteran, 5% Ace.
Early 1944 - 40% Rookie, 40% Average, 15% Veteran, 5% Ace.
Mid 1944 to 1945 - 60% Rookie, 15% Average, 20% Veteran, 5% Ace.
I agree with you. Those Percentages are almost same with my anticipation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
Tactical retreat is a word that is currently not in the AI's dictionary - they only try to run when they are already in too deep.
I agree. AI don't do tactical retreat.
AI does not fear losing a life. And AIs squadron leader does not think for the next battle.

-

I think big cause of AIs problem is "too exact deflection shooting".
Rookie, Average, Veteran,Ace, difference is hardly seen by all levels.
Because all skills pilots are do deflection shooting similarly.
Deflection shooting is very high technique.

I propose the next.

Rookie - Not do deflection shooting. It may be made very rare. However, it hardly hits.
Average - Rarely does deflection shooting. Inaccurate and will seldom hit.
Veteran - Sometimes do deflection shooting. And sometimes hit.
Ace - Use deflection shooting.

However, In recollection of real Ace pilots, I think they like very short-range fire than deflection shooting.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Thanks guys for your comments of AI skills. You have given great ideas and suggestions so far, but I hope that still more people would take part to this conversation.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami View Post
Thanks guys for your comments of AI skills. You have given great ideas and suggestions so far, but I hope that still more people would take part to this conversation.
Why do we need more agreeing? They are right, or at the very least, what they suggest would be much nearer the truth than what we currently have.

Or are you hoping a lot of people will disagree, because you don't like what has been said?