Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Approved Member

Default hell yeah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Greezy View Post
I don't really get this whole "arcading it down" for the masses when it comes to console. Look at Forza 3. Or the juggernaut Grand Turismo series. FPS games rarely have "simulators" but even now the Operation Flashpoint series is coming to console. I get that you have to have a mode that lets people who aren't hard core enjoy the game. Totally understandable. But know what? When I bought Forza 2 I wanted to get into it more. I wanted to turn off the assists. In order to compete online with that I needed a wheel. But that's that next level of the game that I really enjoy. I COULD still be happy playing the simplified version of the game, but I don't, because that's not me.

I guess it's like, for a company who has a history of making authentic, in-depth games, why penalize the fanbase you've built by ignoring a clearly important aspect of the "simulation"? It's the same business with all the controller discussion. It's a WWII flight combat game. You want to play in the simulation mode, you should think about dropping the $40 and get an Aviator at least (if that breaks your bank, my condolences).

After hearing Anton's views on the whole "why can't we play as the Germans in the campaign" debate, it's clear to me that he feels like Axis airplanes are very much in second place. While I disagreed with EVERY reason he gave, and even much of his views on the subject of war, his decision to focus on Allied aircraft in and out of the campaign, I'm sure, is more of a time and resources decision. Not every company has the infinite budget that iD or Valve or in-house EA franchises do (or name your big-budget game).

This whole "strive for excellence" thing sounds a little self-important, and a little naive about the gaming industry.

But, I'm with you, it still really bugs me...this lack of attention to some really impressive fighter planes that served in WWII (regardless of nation). And now that Axis planes have no cockpit in multiplayer, as I said before, that now affects the gameplay. It's much easier to see everything in the HUD display, so those true Allied simmers are going to be at a disadvantage. And dammit, the Me 109 in all it's variants (specifically the G2) is my favorite plane ever. It's just a cool friggin' airplane. And it's not like it's obscure. It's really sad that I can't line shots up through the reticule, and instead am forced do it on some display that looks like it's out of a modern jet fighter. Luh-ame.

Anton, if you're reading this, I'm not saying all this because I hate the game. I actually dug the demo so much, as I said, I bought an Ace Edge. I think we're all a little distraught because we feel like it's not what we were hoping it to be. A pretty obvious detail is sadly missing (according to some French dudes).

So, in conclusion, WAAAAAAA.
dude...i salute your time typing your feel alike expression much...
just hold your horse there was no solid evidence yet to it...
so cheer up...put ur WAAAAAA aside for a moment...
no worries i'll be accompanying choir up wiv you if da outcome turn upside down LOL
Old 08-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball View Post
The way I see it, PC gamers are the ones who are most upset about the game missing this or MAYBE missing that. Because they've had great games in the genre for a long time now.

Console gamers, like myself, will be much more forgiving simply because a game like this has never been made. Does that mean I would be happy that the game is missing one or two important things? No. But some substituted cockpits and some missing cockpits (supposedly) won't turn me away one bit.

BTW, if it is true there are missing pits I would bet my bottom dollar there will be an update that includes them on day one or shortly thereafter.
When mediocrity is accepted only mediocre games will be produced.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Approved Member

What I really don't understand is the silence of Anton....

Anton, We know you've read this thread, so please say something.... even if it's to say that you are not allowed to write on the subject .
Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Approved Member

Default I will not buy Birds of Prey

IF there is any truth about the rumor that german planes in MP have virtual cockpits only. I have been playing IL2 for ages, and I love the PC version to bits, but there is absolutly no chance for me personaly to enjoy a game where such an important feature is lacking.

I know there are two threads about this subject already, sorry for that, but I just wanted to make that clear. And I know a lot of people over here who think the same, no wonder they kept that a secret so far.

Very dissappointed,

Rob
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Approved Member

Do not create several threads about the same subject!
And do not persuade Anton to answer asap. I think hi will do when very soon.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Approved Member

no cockpit for bombers I seem to remember...

so IF there is no cockpits in multi player so be it...better luck next time....

perhaps when they said mp sim locked-in cockpit that includes virtual...

I still think 16 way mp online dogfights even with virtual cockpits will be Awesome...

100 posts already...sheeeshh...i wonder if ANY of these cockpit concerns will be mentioned in tonights webcast?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juz1 View Post
no cockpit for bombers I seem to remember...

so IF there is no cockpits in multi player so be it...better luck next time....

perhaps when they said mp sim locked-in cockpit that includes virtual...

I still think 16 way mp online dogfights even with virtual cockpits will be Awesome...

100 posts already...sheeeshh...i wonder if ANY of these cockpit concerns will be mentioned in tonights webcast?
I think a big part of the success of IL2 in general is and was its atmosphere. How can you achieve that with a cockpit view that looks like I am glued to the window of an F16. Thats not IL2 as I know it. I have been collecting german aircraft parts and instruments for nearly 20 years. I love each and every one of these legendary planes. "Flying" them without cockpit view puts IL2 on par with all the wannabe arcade flight sims out there. Its just not the same. ARGH, even the thought makes me sick. I need to think about something else. I better get back to work.

Horrido!

Rob
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Approved Member

Default *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike-it View Post
Do not create several threads about the same subject!
And do not persuade Anton to answer asap. I think hi will do when very soon.
ahahaha...i guess u need a bigger bat to poking up diz guyz popping up a duplicate thread without doing sums research, happen all da times in Lowyat.NET hahaha...

cheers m8 "the best is yet to come..."
Old 08-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

Hmm this is disturbing. I only ever played IL2 1946 in Cockpit mode because it was the most emersive and fun. I have no trouble accepting the limitations of the console version that has been discussed so far but for me playing a realistic flight game without a cockpit is a total turnoff.

I was going to preorder but have held off because I suspected some disappointments would come up! Not to say I won't buy it period but I for one will be awaiting reviews before picking it up. Even if this turns out to be true, I'll probably buy it later on when its available pre-owned and cheap or something, then the issues won't bother me at all.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Approved Member

Well, that's it. If there isn't a definitive answer from Anton (by Saturday Aug 29) that either A: all/most fighters at least have some sort of cockpit or B: the situation will be corrected in a release patch, I will be heading down to GameStop and transferring my $5 preorder money to Call of Duty. There's no way I will be spending my very limited money (college is too expensive) on Il-2 without knowing for certain that I'll be getting a quality product. I'll also be encouraging the three friends of mine who preordered so that we could play as a flight do the same. Even if this all turns out to have been a mistake, it was still a MASSIVE fail in the PR department.
Closed Thread