Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
IvanK: The Inspection and Test Certificate posted by Kwiatek is taken from Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment’s report on Spitfire II P.7280, Merlin XII - Rotol Constant Speed Airscrew, Comparative Performance Trials, First Part of A.&.A.E.E./692,e dated 27th September, 1940. You will note that the rated power listed matches that of a Merlin XII. I always assumed "Mark III" on the Certificate was a typographical error.

Thanks Lane, I have that report in full. All other pages refer to the engine as Merlin XII. The AVIA ref for this report in the UK National Archives is AVIA 18/1574
I am with you Lane, I think it refers to Merlin XII, the Merlin III looks like a typo on that single page

Last edited by IvanK; 10-03-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Approved Member

Hmm interesting so you got IvanK linkl for these report?

I got also such documents for 12 lbs limitation of Merlin III:

But i think most know these documents.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Approved Member

12lbs Boost was available to both the Merlin III and the Merlin XII (running 100 Octane) when Boostcutout was activated. In the case of the Merlin III a couple of mods were also required to allow 12Lbs Boost. This has been debated at length in the forum.

Only the Merlin XII had the +9lbs limit Full throttle. (Boostcutout not activated)
The Merlin III Limit was +6.25Lbs Boost. 9Boostcutout not activated)

I don't have links to the docs. I spent a bunch of time in the UK archives researching and copying them. Pretty much every RAE report is available there.
Bits and pieces of these docs are available online at Spitfire Performance testing and WWII Aircraft performance http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/

Last edited by IvanK; 10-03-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the information IvanK.

If we could rewind slightly to the opening post question - I know people like to talk about 100 octane and the Merlin XII, but the question was regarding the Spitfire Mk. I and we have 87 octane fuel.

Has anyone tried cutting out the ABC on the deck and then climbing to full throttle altitude?

Is manual boost control even modelled?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Attorney View Post
Hi See,

I posted the following up in the ATAG thread: This is taken from the game data using kegetys.dll. These are pre_beta so not sure if it's changed since. Basically, the MkI and Ia have 0.002 lbs/sq in extra boost (ie nothing)
From earlier in the thread, it is and it isn't at just 0.002Ibs/sq (according to the extracted game data figures which are shown in Das Attorneys reply).

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.

Last edited by SEE; 10-04-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Approved Member

Just to remind you that the Spit in game as nearly no Drag (hence the boost can't be accurate).

Try the following : bank at 80° and pull the stick until you stall.

I hope you can write with both hands or we won't heard any reply from you soon
Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

What on earth are you talking about? Not only is this off topic again but you provide zero evidence in support. Why do you even post? Go away.

Thank you to IvanK and others on posting information.
@Wedge. I think that is worth a try however I find overheat way too severe to complete the task. Maybe a formal attempt at just what you say would be possible though.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

Osp you really need a short walk in a park where you could bark at real kitten.

If you put the Spit in a turn at a high bank angle (BA) you'll see easily that the loss of speed is ridiculously low. This a a simple test for E management of any FM. If you don't see what I mean you may have to investigate some G Vs BA charts. I think I did post one some time ago (F16 flight doc)

Hve fun.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Approved Member

That's not evidence, that's opinion.

And your first sentence, clearly intended as an opening insult, doesn't make any sense in English. You sound like an idiot.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

Osp pls let's put an end to that