Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Should the vegetation colours in CLIFFS OF DOVER be changed?
Yes: I would like to see a darker shade for the grass and other vegetation 226 75.33%
No: I am happy with the current colouring 74 24.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
I'm not sure whether it was the latest version update to RoF or an updated Catalyst driver for my card, but the colours in RoF seem to have been toned down a heck of a lot for some reason. I don't like it as much as how it was either.

Anyway, thought I'd upload this picture of some green English grass on a bright sunny day.
It was taken on my phone, but it really was this luminous.
Also a shot of the CoD landscape.
Just goes to show I suppose.
People complain about the color being to bright...but really, Oleg has got a very fine eye. His choice of color tone is really quite accurate for a bright day. I would love to see a study on color memory...it seems to me that most people prefer a "desaturated" color pallet, but I find it funny when people think its more realistic. War could never happen on a bright and sunny day...it just doesn't feel right (lol)
Old 04-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
I'm not sure whether it was the latest version update to RoF or an updated Catalyst driver for my card, but the colours in RoF seem to have been toned down a heck of a lot for some reason. I don't like it as much as how it was either.
Quick note: in RoF the default colour saturation was reduced from 1.000 to 0.750 a few updates ago. I agree it looks too washed out. You can set it back to 1.0000 (or anything you like) by editing the startup.cfg file. There is a line saturation=0.75000, just change that to whatever you like. I set mine to 1.0000 and it looks much better.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigur_ros View Post
Trees need to be darker, almost black.
Agreed, trees in the UK look very dark from the air. CloD's trees look a bit too "tropical".
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Approved Member

Oh, come on, the problem is not really the shade of green, but the "pastel effect" when in the air (on the ground, it's pretty ok, they should have done a tank sim).
Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Quick note: in RoF the default colour saturation was reduced from 1.000 to 0.750 a few updates ago. I agree it looks too washed out. You can set it back to 1.0000 (or anything you like) by editing the startup.cfg file. There is a line saturation=0.75000, just change that to whatever you like. I set mine to 1.0000 and it looks much better.
Thanks Rocket, I'll give that a try.

Edit: Just tried it - much better, thanks Rocket!

Meanwhile, here's a shot of a tank for Chris, some UK 'Real Scenery' from FSX (which has no trees or grass at ground level, or any kind of shadowing, and is wholly dependant on the ambient light conditions when the satellite flew over) and a shot of a Heinkel which looks a little bare for some reason!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kursk1943 2010-10-01 17-27-54-73.jpg (272.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg WLXPhotoGallery 2010-10-01 15-23-59-61.jpg (205.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Launcher 2011-04-09 20-25-54-36.jpg (231.4 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 04-10-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Approved Member

yes it would really be better....
looks pretty good over the chanel...
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Approved Member

well maybe if we had complete weather system that provided more dense clouding or even overcast, then much of the light of the graphics engine would be filtered and we'd get the intended darker colours...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Approved Member

The poll should read, "how many calibrate their monitors" before making judgement on what is correct or not correct.

Then you need to make a personal judgement on if the question of what a scene looks like is of personal preference or design intension. The creator in all reality has final say.

Colour perception, contrast perception is really in the eye of the beholder, as we contrast adapt and colour adapt.

For contrast adaption, look at the pic in my sig, the grey bar through the middle is the same shade all the way across(if you don't believe me cover up the grey scale that surrounds the bar). As has been already pointed out in previous posts the human eye can adapt to two or more contrast situations, ie viewing from inside a room on a sunny day. A camera has to choose to set for outside or inside, but not both.
This is the same for video and picture production, although there are tricks, in the end the camera or video has to manipulate the image.

Colour adaption works the same way, a little more complex, however our perception of grey is actually based upon ilumination, the light source.
Problem is that we can be fooled with this as we adapt to make make white seem white, when the reality is a colour(greyscale) shift can be occuring.

Couple with this the concept of gamma. Gamma is actually a legacy thing derived from CRT designs. Although the effect CRT gamma turned out by chance to match the human vision response which is actully log in shape.

Gamma itself is a complex thing, too complex to go into here in brief, except changing gamma response alters your perception of colour, greyscale and contrast. The catch, if you mis match the settings from the creators setup you won't see what they intended.

The basic problem is this, without your personal computer system and screen calibrated to match standards of sRGB you will struggle to correctly describe colour, saturation etc. Gamma is typically set to 2.2, however CRT gamma is closer to 2.35
Computers, video graphic cards and monitors are quite varied in their ability to resond with "true" colour, hence why video calibration equipment exists.

I run a small video calibration business with international accreditation, although calibration is a quite large business world wide.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Approved Member

11 pages and nobody has posted real life and COD side by side:

Old 04-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Approved Member

Calibration isn't going to magically make trees darker and denser compared with rest of landscape like real British countryside:

Besides the desaturation, Wings of Prey gets very close to real.

And not so much CloD

Last edited by sigur_ros; 04-12-2011 at 06:12 AM.