Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Approved Member

Well done the pic's look really grate and i cant wait to jump in and fly around for a look.

Well done good job and good to see you.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

Man, those ground details very good. Thanks...
Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Approved Member

The switch away from Open GL took place a while ago. There had been two camps at Maddox Games, the pro-OpenGL camp and the pro-DirectX camp, for a while. Eventually the arguments of the pro-DirectX camp won over, so the switch was made. It wasn't a particularly dramatic event, just a logical evolution of opinion based on a bunch of boring technical details.

Regarding the colors, once again, this is work in progress. Oleg specifically said that it's being worked on, that it's not final. So please think of it as a glass half full.

A lot of features go through this annoying development phase where it takes forever to get them perfect. It can take 3 days to build a feature to 90%, and a month to get it to 100. That's where we are with the visuals. It's a hugely complex system with lots of components, each at a different stage of completion, so at this particular time it happens to result in the picture we're seeing right now. Glass half full, guys, glass half full.

A bunch of smart, talented, experienced people are coming to work every day to work on the graphics. Oleg is constantly breathing down their necks and hounding them over each tiny detail. The visuals are a HUGE priority for him personally, huge. Have a little faith in the man.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Approved Member

You can see it's WIP in several areas, but it's VERY promising IMHO.

Of course some colors look to bright, the textures too blury, especially at some distance, but if you take a look at picture 0116, you'll notice there's barely any atmosphere rendered at all beyond the clouds. You can see the sharp horizon in between the clouds.
Once haze is enabled and set up correctly, it will probably blend colors and textures nicely.

IMHO it's even more obvious looking at the Spitfire and the Bf110. It's simply some layers switched on and off. While the Bf110 shows the reflections and bumpmaps, the Spitfire has switched those off and shows how detailed the textures are.

Long story short: The screenshots are not what the game will look like, but what makes the differences.
That's also true for the trees - it doesn't mean they will stay like that, but rather like: "hey, we don't use layered textures to show forests, but individual trees!"
Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Approved Member

Default Well said Ilya (luthier)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
A bunch of smart, talented, experienced people are coming to work every day to work on the graphics. Oleg is constantly breathing down their necks and hounding them over each tiny detail. The visuals are a HUGE priority for him personally, huge. Have a little faith in the man.
Well said Ilya, I can really understand Oleg's 'attention to detail with the visuals', he wants the 'best of the best' and a flight sim that will last into the future.

Keep up the outstanding work.

DFLion
Old 10-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Approved Member

Thanks Luthier...Visuals are very important to me aswell. You can have the best FM possible but if it doesn't look right, it kills it for me.

I can't imagine how difficult it is to bring all these features {FM, DM, AI, Moving Weather Patterns, Cinematic Terrain, and aircraft } together with playable frame rates.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Approved Member

luthier(quote)
The screenshots were taken on several computers, mostly on an Intel Core 2 2.66GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and an NVidia 8800 GTX and a Athlon 64 3800+ 2.0 GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and an NVidia 260

Did the Athlon system have a desent frame rate? I ask because I'm running a slightly stronger Athlon system now...and it would be nice to not have to do an up-grade

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 10-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Tree_UK

Oleg do you plan to show any 'In game' shots of SOW in the near future, for example a formation of heinkels or a screen shot of a dogfight over England, something where we can get a true picture of what your creating. I know you said these recent screens were 'in game' but they appear to be WIP shots rather than shots taken from a running game.

Many Thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Oleg do you plan to show any 'In game' shots of SOW in the near future, for example a formation of heinkels or a screen shot of a dogfight over England, something where we can get a true picture of what your creating. I know you said these recent screens were 'in game' but they appear to be WIP shots rather than shots taken from a running game.

Many Thanks.

?...they seem to all have (grab) in file name...I think that they are in-game shots

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Tree_UK

oh ok, I meant from the battle of britian aspect the original concept of the sim.