Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up Ok, an answer to the low frame rates shown on screenshots

Was strolling through other threads and found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataros View Post
According to sukhoi.ru the screenshots in the update were taken under a "debug mode" which is much slower than normal mode. They are given in pairs for comparison only. Thus their system specs can not tell what to expect in normal mode. We'll have to try it on our hardware ourselves.
So, no need to fear since it was running in a slower state. Hope this will clear some of the clouds regarding this issue. Peace to all and sincere wish for a happy time until the patch comes out.
Kindest regards,
Eagle
Old 07-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Lemon View Post
If people with no experience in game development want to laugh then let them.

But whenever you hear a developer talk about "optimizing" a game they mean not just cleaning up the code, but finding hackish solutions to decrease rendering time. Most of the time these solutions result in less accuracy but hopefully little visible difference.

But the images are identical with regards to angle and timing. If you don't believe me then just open up two of them in separate tabs and switch back and forth.

And its from a dev build - we don't know if they can change settings while playing a track back or not (or even if this was a track being played back)
I AM a game developer back from 2002. that means 10 years of doing it, mate. and optimization is NEVER the same with cutting-off features/effects in order to gain FPS.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
But you dont know if they sped up or slowed down the track which will also affect the average... either way, it just feels like you are looking at things to nit pick...wait till the patch and if its no better then you can bitch till you are blue in the face...
I'm not looking for things to bitch at....if they show us screenies with less average fps and lesser quality textures...I guess that makes you happy? I guess we will see when the patch comes out. Probably would have been wise to leave the framerate counter off in this case if they knew people would see the lower numbers.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Approved Member

Afraid to say I am greatly underwhelmed, again

Lesser quality equals a nearly playable frame rate, pathetic really especially as lots of people spent hard earned money upgrading to what where (only a short time ago) top end PC's
as the old 'recommended' specs proved massively under stated and they/we still can't get a decent FPS unless we spend hundreds more £/$'s on yet more hardware.

And still no word on making the Channel Map (the centre peice of this game) usable in coop mode, another huge let down.

Chris

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/index.php

Gigabyte z77-d3h, Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (OC 4.2GHz), Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 24GB DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit , Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB, Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W '80 Plus Silver' PSU,
GTX580 3gb OC
Old 07-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
~ Probably would have been wise to leave the framerate counter off in this case if they knew people would see the lower numbers.
only for the whinge then to be "they're not showing the frame rate... what are they trying to hide?"

absolutely pathetic
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Approved Member

Ok so wait a second here, I have to turn down my effects settings to enjoy better performance?! How is that an improvement? I can do that without a patch...

Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Approved Member

You can please all of the people some of the time.
You can please some of the people all of the time.
There are some people on the banana forum you can never please. At all. Ever.

BlackSix has told us they have made some improvements. He tried to demonstrate that with a few screenshots we now know were made under very specific circumstances which are unlikely to apply to most of the 100+ different PC specs out there never mind the widly differing game setings. Perhaps he should just have stuck to the words to avoid all the speculative crossfire.

So why not wait until you have the patch on your PC and have tested it before getting out of your prams to complain about it. Don't worry, I'll be the first to complain if I don't like it. When I've seen it.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Approved Member

I'm sure the fps screen is an xp low spec machine.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Approved Member

thanks b6

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsher View Post
no.
for me it is additional information.
for you - if you don't understand you may still ignore.

True, its additional information, but, its information that indicates they are going in the exact opposite direction they previously claimed.

Lowering ones setting to gain fps is not rocket science, you can do that in this game already, and in every game known to mankind.

Being able to lower your settings with a smaller loss of graphic quality than previous patch is an improvement, somewhat, but not months of work worth.

One of the posts indicated that the rig doing these screens was a i7 (could be a 2600K to you and me) and Gtx 570 4 GB (taste that little jem) with 8x AA and it averaged 40 fps online. If this is true, its, well, bad for a lack of a better word.

All im saying is that i for one is extremely cautious until iv actually seen the improvements claimed.

Last edited by Baron; 07-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.