Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 12-22-2014, 04:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster_Dee View Post
The visible history is the draw for me.
Alright, I agree that some of the cities look a bit lame. Cities like Berlin should have city blocks rather than individual houses. That might also aid frame rates.

But, what I was getting at was that, as a matter of priorities, what would make the sim more "immersive" for a hard-core WW2 history geek, improvements to the flight models or improvements to graphics? Both are important, but which is more important?

It seems to me that the main things that make the newer sims like RoF, CloD, IL2:BoS which are beyond the capabilities of IL2 are the things like dynamic lighting and self-shadowing.

Below that, there are lots of little (or not so little) graphics tweaks that affect combat which might be possible:

* More and bigger clouds reflecting different weather types. Could also represent fog.

* Placeable clouds.

* Placeable smoke or dust clouds. Important for daylight bombing. Really important for desert maps, which we'll be getting with 4.13.

* Large, long lasting fires to aid night bombing and to make "pathfinder" missions worthwhile.

* Simple sun-glare effects to make distant planes more visible.

* Better contrails - can be set to appear at different levels and can be set to last longer, so we can see images like this:

http://contrailscience.com/wp-conten.../stpauls2.jpeg
Old 12-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterace View Post
Who would be interested in buying the old IL-2 franchise?
I have no idea. It depends on the price and who the fans are. Obviously, anyone who buys it would have to love the game rather than make a quick buck off of it. It also depends on what the restrictions on the sale would be.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

I just wrote a post longer than yours. Luckily, it was not longer than the DEL key.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

For me, most of the visuals in IL-2 are great, given the limitations of lack of dynamic lighting and self shadowing. Some of the later maps like Slovakia and later mod maps really show what can be done in landscaping terms within the limits of the game engine.

Having done a little map building work in the past the greatest flaw to me is the inability to make roads and railways follow true curves. This just looks plain wrong even from a distance.

Other lesser issues include inability to represent small rivers (and streams), lack of proper modelling of river banks, rail cuttings and embankments etc and consequently the unrealistic appearance of bridges which all have steep approach ramps rather than blending into the surrounding land.

-- and while I'm on a role, all bridges and therefore rivers having to be fixed at sea level.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Approved Member

Yea local weather would be cool too

But !!

Isn't it still the only game having collision damage with bridges, buildings and trees ?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Yea local weather would be cool too

But !!

Isn't it still the only game having collision damage with bridges, buildings and TREES ?
...that you can't really see from the side. I really sometimes wish there were no collision model with those trees.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Approved Member

That would all be on my list.

Ah, those trees are one of my fondest memories. I was flying with 242 at the time, and there was a Squad who generally gave us a shellacking. One meet, we outnumbered them and thought we actually had a chance. They stayed out of sight 'til we ran out of gas, then they bombed our airfield as the last guy (our CO) was landing. I tried to take off again from the apron.

All I got for my troubles was a mouth full of those trees.

Last edited by Buster_Dee; 12-24-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Approved Member

Great work guys!

I don't know if I'm late. Anyway may you also add this italian fighter?
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...c,37239.0.html

Thank you
Old 01-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Asheshouse;707827]For me, most of the visuals in IL-2 are great,

Having done a little map building work in the past the greatest flaw to me is the inability to make roads and railways follow true curves.
---------------------------------------

There are curved roads here:
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...,39938.24.html

in Bee's Rabaul. Scroll down.
cheers,
Ibis.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Approved Member

I am aware of Bee's excellent map. --- I even get a mention in the credits

What Bee has done provides a good visual mod but loses the stock game functionality of road and rail, like auto placement when map building and auto tracking of the route by vehicles when mission building.

What may be needed is similar to what is in Clod, in that road and rail appear to be defined by freeform splines which then control the placement of road/rail plates and also control the vehicle movement, but that would require some serious coding input.

Last edited by Asheshouse; 01-02-2015 at 08:36 AM.