Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

View Poll Results: Should ROF have an offline mode
Yes, I won't buy it without offline mode 30 50.00%
Yes, I might reluctantly buy it w/o offline mode 13 21.67%
No, I don't mind 17 28.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
let us il2 fan's thank the gods for having somebody like oleg involved in the sim world, giving us lots of features and options, single player, multiplayer, coop, single missions, campaigns (dynamic and scripted), online and offline, etc.. and yes once we have bought the game we are willing to pay later for whatever new the CUSTOMER WANTS to add in new planes/scenery add those new features or upgrade, because we can also still use the product we initially payed for if we dont upgrade. not that hard to grasp the basic concept, is it now
So why somebody, who had bought IL2 FB and AEP, had to buy PF and eventually "jet/lerche" stuff, just to make his game online compatible? How this is better then what will be in RoF?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virre89 View Post
You don't believe you can trust a developer .. dear god.
Where's you're proof of updates without your agreement?
wrong question, you should be asking "what is the evidence we can trust this new group of sales people" and start on the perpetual conveyor belt of us being milked for more money at every turn ? right now they are already several steps in the wrong and showing they cant be trusted, for ex giving misleading information during development to artificially generate interest, provide misleading information in their sales pitch ( clear warning on game box in store, or clear warning in online sales webpage) without an option to get your money back once innocent buyers have been misled thinking they have bought a "normal" game.

Quote:
They've said they will allow constant updates automatically via their service, that doesn't mean you won't know it's happening. You're most likely going to have to accept it each and every time.
keyword being "most likely" in what you just said, aka you giving your personal opinion about something you cant guarantee to be the case right now, and just seem to have a blind faith all will be well if you just keep giving them money. the way i read that is that for 50$ i get the first put-put plane from 1914, and 6 weeks later johny next door buys the souped up 1918 model and i cant compete online unless i spend more money again.

Quote:
And as we all know there is an single player mode just that it requires an online connection for statistics
you must be living in santa clause land if you believe the internet connection is just innocently used to provide "player statistics" for ladders and competitive tables.

if that was the whole reason the solution would be very simple, keep a normal single player ofline function, and whenever the person in future goes online popup a little window that says "would you like to submit your player stats online : yes/no", simple eh. since that is not the case its again an example of them providing misleading information.

Quote:
meaning that you can most likely play without owning the latest patches or stuff like that.
see there you go again waving around your hypothetical "most likely's" as if they are gospel truth, they aren't, you are just speculating

Quote:
Besides i think RoF game engine looks stunning with all the particle effects,lightning and wind flow,....
looks to me like an old grafix engine that tried to copy the now dated il2 world we already have, with a few new effects added, maybe 20% improvement over our current il2 we already have (and with free mods can be similarly improved 20% to). once BoB is released it will be a 300% improvement with a brand new 2009 game and grafix engine with multiple expansion possibilities built in for many years to come.

you of course can do with your money whatever you like, including tossing it out the window most of us are more selective, by force, choice, or principle !
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Approved Member

Exclamation

Rise of Flight is not 1C game and the tread is moved to "Other Topics"!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaltysZ View Post
So why somebody, who had bought IL2 FB and AEP, had to buy PF and eventually "jet/lerche" stuff, just to make his game online compatible? How this is better then what will be in RoF?
because each of those is a stand alone product which is fully functional on its own

you buy the game and play it wherever and whenever you want. the older versions are now still being sold at a big discount, the newer versions are a little more expensive. so you get whatever you pay for, some days you also still find servers running the oleder versions online.

btw, anybody notice there is also no LAN option in ROF, so much for late night or WE LAN parties at the office
Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
for those western developed markets where various branches of governement and law and order will do their part in enforcing copyright laws, copyright infringement problems are mostly from one teenager making a game/video copy for a school friend, and most of what they give each other for free they wouldnt spend their money on if it could only be accessed by purchasing it anyway, because they wouldnt be interested in it enough.
We have paradox here. For example, Russian version of IL2 1946 has completely no copy protection, but versions for western "developed" markets have it.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
because each of those is a stand alone product which is fully functional on its own
No, they are not. For example, you can't play "Pe2" without owning previous versions, the same goes for "Shturmoviks over Manchuria" and "1946" (not talking about unified DVD). Further, people interested only in PTO and owning Pacific Fighters can't install "Shturmoviks over Manchuria" to get important addition of Japanese fighters without getting FB+AEP+PF+Pe2. The only stand alone products are FB and PF, the others are not (IL2 1946 DVD is standalone, but it is only composition of previous versions).

Multiplayer part is not so simple. So what there is some PF or FB servers there and here. Mostly they are created by new players, which have bought the game just because its price seems attractive to them and they know little about whole series. In such servers people fly with relaxed settings and even without joysticks. That does not look as good multiplayer experience to me. So for me, the version I play is dictated by my favorite servers. If they upgrade, I have to upgrade my game too, or drop playing it at all.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Approved Member

@ Zapatista

Quote:
wrong question, you should be asking "what is the evidence we can trust this new group of sales people" and start on the perpetual conveyor belt of us being milked for more money at every turn ? right now they are already several steps in the wrong and showing they cant be trusted, for ex giving misleading information during development to artificially generate interest, provide misleading information in their sales pitch ( clear warning on game box in store, or clear warning in online sales webpage) without an option to get your money back once innocent buyers have been misled thinking they have bought a "normal" game.
You're speculating just as much , making huge assumptions regarding the developers without knowing shit, they only difference is that i know their not doing it to piss us off which you constantly seem to forget. You sound like you think there's a hidden agenda ... oh yeah and the government is working against us... right

Quote:
keyword being "most likely" in what you just said, aka you giving your personal opinion about something you cant guarantee to be the case right now, and just seem to have a blind faith all will be well if you just keep giving them money. the way i read that is that for 50$ i get the first put-put plane from 1914, and 6 weeks later johny next door buys the souped up 1918 model and i cant compete online unless i spend more money again.
Since when can you guarantee for example anything about BoB? We have so little info regarding BOB we basically don't know anything and we've not seen any real game play except for what was on the IL2 1946 disk yet you worship it. (fanboy?)

Leave BoB out of this, it's gonna be a great game but isn't here for another year or two.

Why don't you let us buy the RoF product and then we can calmly tell the kids that ignored it that it's no harm in buying RoF n that we're having a blast add to that, that
you won't be forced to buy DLC to be able to play online. My best bet is that it's gonna work just like the DCS series with DLC, whoever buys the DLC will be able to play the DLC planes but whoever don't is still gonna be able to play with them just not fly those planes for example.

Speculations.

Quote:
you must be living in santa clause land if you believe the internet connection is just innocently used to provide "player statistics" for ladders and competitive tables.

if that was the whole reason the solution would be very simple, keep a normal single player ofline function, and whenever the person in future goes online popup a little window that says "would you like to submit your player stats online : yes/no", simple eh. since that is not the case its again an example of them providing misleading information.
It's required to prevent pirates, upload statistics and allow for constant updates.
Quote:
see there you go again waving around your hypothetical "most likely's" as if they are gospel truth, they aren't, you are just speculating
No less "hypothetical" than you're statements. As i've said the difference is that i trust them and you don't... i've yet to see ANY developer fool their customers regarding accounts/credits etc

Quote:
looks to me like an old grafix engine that tried to copy the now dated il2 world we already have, with a few new effects added, maybe 20% improvement over our current il2 we already have (and with free mods can be similarly improved 20% to). once BoB is released it will be a 300% improvement with a brand new 2009 game and grafix engine with multiple expansion possibilities built in for many years to come.

you of course can do with your money whatever you like, including tossing it out the window most of us are more selective, by force, choice, or principle !
BOB doesn't have anything to with this but as i mentioned before you sound like a fanboy that knows everything. BoB might be the next gen flight sim but we've close to no info and a release date which probably is more than a year away. Rise of Flight focuses on WW1 which BoB doesn't, if you can put together a mod team which can develop such a quality mod for BoB within a half year after BoB release that matches RoF then go ahead, I'll bet my head you can't.

You believe that the RoF engine is 20% better than the current IL2 engine? Please sir let me know if you know anything regarding physics, lightning , rendering, particle effects, polygons etc

Its a whole new game with a whole new engine, it's gonna be improved a lot and implemented with some of todays standard features, which means it's already way ahead of the old IL2 engine. Tell ya what.. I'll make sure to come back and discuss it again when RoF is released, with the copy in my hand or in digital form you can then harass me as much as you want and I'll tell you exactly how it feels to have spent 50$ on RoF.

Last edited by virre89; 03-17-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Its a whole new game with a whole new engine, it's gonna be improved a lot and implemented with some of todays standard features, which means it's already way ahead of the old IL2 engine.
Regarding game engine, developers on sukhoi.ru have said that running RoF on multi core system nearly doubles frame rates comparing to single core. Physics also looks promising: moving air masses, wake turbulence, fouling of spark plugs, engine stalls and midair restarting while diving and etc. That forum thread is already 100 pages long and certainly gives more information than developer's blog.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaltysZ View Post
Regarding game engine, developers on sukhoi.ru have said that running RoF on multi core system nearly doubles frame rates comparing to single core. Physics also looks promising: moving air masses, wake turbulence, fouling of spark plugs, engine stalls and midair restarting while diving and etc. That forum thread is already 100 pages long and certainly gives more information than developer's blog.
Yup , it sounds very promising, can't wait
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Approved Member

I think I need to open a tin foil hat concession this forum, I'll be rich beyond belief.

The answer is simple.

Don't want to connect, don't.

Find another game you can play by yourself in your bunker.

What a bunch of whiners.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov