Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 08-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
Your blind faith and narrow sight on our society might fail you before than what you think unfortunately..
Again with the apocalypticism.

Again with the insults.

If you, or anyone, has any evidence that the introduction of free access to firearms will benefit Great Britain I am all ears. If anyone can convince me that the introduction of firearms will not result in more gun-crime, more accidents, more police-shoot-outs or more curious children blowing their faces off; more night-club shootings and lethal gang violence; if you can convince me that these things will be less frequent once we introduce firearms then by all means argue for it.

But here's some things that are not going to persuade me.....

a) The fearmongering "Oh, you wait and see! You'll be sorry you didn't have a gun when....blah...blah".

b) The insults..."You think you know better....head in sand...blind faith...."

c) Aphorisms such as "An armed society is a polite society".

d) Dreadful analogies along the lines of "Automobiles have a higher accident rate so let's ban cars!"

e) Comparing gun-control as just a short hop away from Nazi Germany.

e) 'History' books by the likes of Glenn Beck. GLENN BECK !

I don't have anything against guns or the people who like shooting them. I just happen to believe that the introduction of free access to firearms in Great Britain will result in a rise in all those things I listed above - and for no tangible benefit as far as I can tell. So at this time and on balance I prefer the current situation*.

* That doesn't mean it's ideal, optimal or beyond improvement.

Last edited by Lixma; 08-12-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixma View Post

Again with the insults.

If you, or anyone, has any evidence that the introduction of free access to firearms will benefit Great Britain I am all ears. If anyone can convince me that the introduction of firearms will not result in more gun-crime, more accidents, more police-shoot-outs or more curious children blowing their faces off; more night-club shootings and lethal gang violence; if you can convince me that these things will be less frequent once we introduce firearms then by all means argue for it.

a) The fearmongering "Oh, you wait and see! You'll be sorry you didn't have a gun when....blah...blah".

d) Dreadful analogies along the lines of "Automobiles have a higher accident rate so let's ban cars!"

I don't have anything against guns or the people who like shooting them. I just happen to believe that the introduction of free access to firearms in Great Britain will result in a rise in all those things I listed above - and for no tangible benefit as far as I can tell. So at this time and on balance I prefer the current situation*.

You are probably right, if you don't already have guns it's a bit late to start.

The insurgents in Iraq taught the world you don't need guns, you just need explosives and cell phones to cause havoc.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Again with the insults.

Guns don't prevent crime. Never was intended to prevent crime. But one by one is prevents recidivism. I can prove it.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Approved Member

I hope that those of you with the "I'm happy w/out guns" attitude never have to be placed in a situation where someone else has one and is intent on hurting you. I'm posting here because the man that entered my home (I was 15) was intent on hurting anyone present. I was armed. I won. I don't feel bad about winning either. I never thought it would happen to me. I lived in an upper middle class neighborhood. No gang activity, no drug dealers and no deviants. But the man had a car, he drove from his neighborhood to mine. And my home looked ripe for the picking.

I pray you never have to be forced into a situation and once in a while I have a bad dream about it, but I wake up and tell myself "you survived, you have nothing to be ashamed of". It can happen to you and if your country or city or state has disarmed you your government is saying it doesn't trust you nor do they care if you live or die. They don't care about your god given right to live a happy life free from persecution. Remember something folks, the bad guy can always get a gun, even in a country where guns are outlawed. I'm sure you know that drugs are illegal to have inside of prisons, where the population is controlled and watched 24/7. Yet drugs are one of the biggest problems in prison. Outlawing something doesn't really do anything, except make it possible to prosecute the person at a later date. If he's caught. Apply that to firearms. How are outlawed guns going to help keep you safe?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Approved Member

Bing-Go! People outside of the US never think that they might be writing someone that actually had to defend themselves from an attacker using a weapon. They've never experienced 2 persons kicking down their front and back doors at 4 AM and they be armed with a shotguns and wearing a ski masks.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Again with the insults.
I'm not insulting you..

Quote:

I'm sorry, but you must be very confused..

What do you mean exactly with "free access to firearms"?
If deemed suitable by your local authorities, you can already own a gun in this country, as long as it's not a pistol (unless it's a muzzle loader), a semi-auto or fully auto full bore gun.

The irony is that the legislation has been randomly adapted following the gun massacres where lunatics (who were as culpable of what they did as much as the geniuses that gave em licenses) went on a shooting spree with semi-autos, but you can still have a .22 rimfire semiauto (still lethal), a full bore bolt action rifle (VERY lethal indeed) and a plethora of smooth bore guns.

My point is that whenever politics get in the way, it's always citizens that have to pay for it. I too am comfortable with armed people around (heck, I was raised in a country where even private guards have a holster and a Beretta in it!), and you definitely have way less petty crime and vandalism as you have here.

How can a police force act effectively if deprived of the means to do it? The existence of armed response squads mean that the Government itself reckons there is a threat that needs to be counteracted effectively, so why giving the possibility to do it only to a small minority of police agents?!

Again, the Cumbria shooter could have been stopped from the very beginning, since he was chased at a distance from unarmed police officers, which could only assist powerless to the massacre he carried on..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggbutt View Post
I hope that those of you with the "I'm happy w/out guns" attitude never have to be placed in a situation where someone else has one and is intent on hurting you. I'm posting here because the man that entered my home (I was 15) was intent on hurting anyone present. I was armed. I won. I don't feel bad about winning either. I never thought it would happen to me. I lived in an upper middle class neighborhood. No gang activity, no drug dealers and no deviants. But the man had a car, he drove from his neighborhood to mine. And my home looked ripe for the picking.

I pray you never have to be forced into a situation and once in a while I have a bad dream about it, but I wake up and tell myself "you survived, you have nothing to be ashamed of". It can happen to you and if your country or city or state has disarmed you your government is saying it doesn't trust you nor do they care if you live or die. They don't care about your god given right to live a happy life free from persecution. Remember something folks, the bad guy can always get a gun, even in a country where guns are outlawed. I'm sure you know that drugs are illegal to have inside of prisons, where the population is controlled and watched 24/7. Yet drugs are one of the biggest problems in prison. Outlawing something doesn't really do anything, except make it possible to prosecute the person at a later date. If he's caught. Apply that to firearms. How are outlawed guns going to help keep you safe?
Exactly.

Some years ago here in my area in the UK a man, who apparently was insane, randomly entered a house in a residential area and killed 3 members of the family, actually chasing one outside in the park and finishing him there and then. This bad stuff happens here as well, but again, as long as it doesn't bother you directly..
Old 08-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggbutt View Post
Remember something folks, the bad guy can always get a gun, even in a country where guns are outlawed.
Very true. But with a wider availability of guns the probability and method by which illicit guns find themselves in circulation increases and expands.

The dumb teenager who sneaks his dads gun out. The children who go rooting around the house. The burglar who comes across a 'safely' locked gun cabinet. The responsible gun-club member who accidentally left his pistols on the train. It's also the chancers who during a riot helped themselves to some armament from the gun store.

This is but a taster of how guns slip out from their preferred habitat and into irresponsible hands regardless of gun-control. And this is what Great Britain has to look forward to.

I lived on Walworth Road in London a few years back. I was only there 2 years and there were 2 shootings within 200 yards of my flat (heard them, didn't see them). One was a drive by, the other, I think, was an argument in a club that spilled out into the street and got tasty. With more guns in Great Britain I believe we will see more of these things, not less.

Quote:
I'm sure you know that drugs are illegal to have inside of prisons, where the population is controlled and watched 24/7. Yet drugs are one of the biggest problems in prison.
I actually think marijuana is informally encouraged these days. Safer for the staff that way.

Quote:
Outlawing something doesn't really do anything, except make it possible to prosecute the person at a later date. If he's caught. Apply that to firearms. How are outlawed guns going to help keep you safe?
I'm not arguing for putting the genie back in the bottle, I don't want him let out in the first place. Mercifully, in Great Britain we still have that option.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timej31 View Post
They've never experienced 2 persons kicking down their front and back doors at 4 AM and they be armed with a shotguns and wearing a ski masks.
You have a woman's purse!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The dumb teenager who sneaks his dads gun out.
You cannot live in a free society with guns available and have no control over your kids. <-- BIG HINT Almost all problems can be traced back to this. Kinds having kids.

I grew up around them. They were not mysterious objects or things that I was told not to touch by my mom or dad. Dad like me had every thing loaded in the house all the time. It's just that way it's just loaded. But we never thought about using them for any other reason than sport and defending yourself or your family.

I was hunting with my family at 7 and shot my own deer at 9 and processed the entire deer all by myself with my dad telling me what to do each step of the way. He did that so as to get it out of the way that if you shoot it you eat it and you process it entirely. I did the same thing to my son. That way he will know what is involved at each step from shot to dinner.

There was no fascination with firearms that you may have by this statement that these kids in your example had in my house. It was always seen as a tool. It's looked at very differently.

You never played with them. They are tools.

Last edited by ATAG_Doc; 08-12-2011 at 07:30 PM.