Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Default best ps3 flight stick please advise

read the other flight stick threads but no definitive conclusions.
going to order the thrustmaster t hotas tomorrow.
dont want to waste my money if not good to use with bop.
i know there are issues with restricted views and the dead zone.
can anyone put my mind at ease.
thanks fellow aces
Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Having a hat and not a full analog stick for in cockpit free look made the thrustmaster hotas a no buy for me. I'm using a thrustmaster fully programable controller instead. I made a post on here about it
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...ghlight=Desode

It works pretty well after some adjustments. When it comes to in cockpit view and being able to look around everywhere, this is just about the most important aspect in flight combat. and the Hat doesn't enable you to do that smoothly from what I understand.
I haven't decided if I'm going to get the ps3 version, since I have a Ace edge for the 360 version. It works so great that, I'm now considering just getting the 360 ver only.

It depends on wether or not you plan on playing sim mode ?

If you aren't going to play in sim mode them get the Thrustmaster Hotas, if you are going to play in mostly sim mode then I personally recommend that thrustmaster fully programable controller. Thats just my opinion though.
Best of luck with your choice, DESODE
Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Approved Member

Default thanks desode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desode View Post
Having a hat and not a full analog stick for in cockpit free look made the thrustmaster hotas a no buy for me. I'm using a thrustmaster fully programable controller instead. I made a post on here about it
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...ghlight=Desode

It works pretty well after some adjustments. When it comes to in cockpit view and being able to look around everywhere, this is just about the most important aspect in flight combat. and the Hat doesn't enable you to do that smoothly from what I understand.
I haven't decided if I'm going to get the ps3 version, since I have a Ace edge for the 360 version. It works so great that, I'm now considering just getting the 360 ver only.

It depends on wether or not you plan on playing sim mode ?

If you aren't going to play in sim mode them get the Thrustmaster Hotas, if you are going to play in mostly sim mode then I personally recommend that thrustmaster fully programable controller. Thats just my opinion though.
Best of luck with your choice, DESODE
going to be playing on sim,veteren of all the il2 sims since the beginning.
i think i will hold off ordering a flight stick until im happy with other users reviews.
cockpit views are vital to me especially in mp.
thanks for ur help desode,much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Approved Member

Default Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by booterboy View Post
going to be playing on sim,veteren of all the il2 sims since the beginning.
i think i will hold off ordering a flight stick until im happy with other users reviews.
cockpit views are vital to me especially in mp.
thanks for ur help desode,much appreciated.
Good decision........I foolishily bought the T.Master in a fit of excitement after reading Anton's recommendations in preparation for the demo. As granny would say before sucking her eggs - situational awareness is essential to have any hope in SIM mode and that CANNOT be achieved with my purchase..........let me know if you find a solution.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Approved Member

@Desode

THANKS!!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Approved Member

Desode, could you post the config you set up with that pad? Cheers mate.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggins View Post
Desode, could you post the config you set up with that pad? Cheers mate.
Well , the first thing I did was swap the sticks. so the left stick is now throttle and rudder and the right stick is pitch and roll.
R1 is free look in cockpit
right trigger is fire.
left trigger is lock on
L1 is zoom
Traingle change view

Now keep in mind that the front bottom triggers are their own buttons.
the r2 and l2 are on the bottom of the controller where your middle finger sits when holding the controller,so there are actually more buttons on this controller then on a standard ps3 controller.

When I first heard that the L2 and R2 where on the bottom, it threw me off, but you can move them to the triigers in a second. This enables you to have 2 free buttons on the bottom of the controller for say gear up and down or what ever you wish to put there. You also have the zoom dial which is 2 more buttons (up and down). The preset button which switches to your custom layout can also be used so that you can switch on the fly between the default game layout and your custom layout at the touch of a button.

The only downsides are the sticks are very sensitive and if you have huge hands this controller may not be for you. The vibration feature doesn't work with the ps3. I really miss that some.

For me this is the best option I can find for BOP on the ps3. The free look is too important and it has to be just right. Plus I need my right hand to control my pitch and roll. The controller has 15 buttons not counting the d-pad, that is nice too, because I can really move things around if I want.

The programing is really easy to do, you just hit your custom preset button and then tap the map button. The preset will flash. Then you just push the button you want to move and then the button your changing that to.
Thats it.

I hope this helps, Desode
Old 08-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desode View Post
Well , the first thing I did was swap the sticks. so the left stick is now throttle and rudder and the right stick is pitch and roll.
R1 is free look in cockpit
right trigger is fire.
left trigger is lock on
L1 is zoom
Traingle change view

Now keep in mind that the front bottom triggers are their own buttons.
the r2 and l2 are on the bottom of the controller where your middle finger sits when holding the controller,so there are actually more buttons on this controller then on a standard ps3 controller.

When I first heard that the L2 and R2 where on the bottom, it threw me off, but you can move them to the triigers in a second. This enables you to have 2 free buttons on the bottom of the controller for say gear up and down or what ever you wish to put there. You also have the zoom dial which is 2 more buttons (up and down). The preset button which switches to your custom layout can also be used so that you can switch on the fly between the default game layout and your custom layout at the touch of a button.

The only downsides are the sticks are very sensitive and if you have huge hands this controller may not be for you. The vibration feature doesn't work with the ps3. I really miss that some.

For me this is the best option I can find for BOP on the ps3. The free look is too important and it has to be just right. Plus I need my right hand to control my pitch and roll. The controller has 15 buttons not counting the d-pad, that is nice too, because I can really move things around if I want.

The programing is really easy to do, you just hit your custom preset button and then tap the map button. The preset will flash. Then you just push the button you want to move and then the button your changing that to.
Thats it.

I hope this helps, Desode
Very helpful, thanks for your time. Think I'll get one.