Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Adventure mode

Adventure mode All you want to know about adventure mode (may contain SPOILERS)

Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 AM
Approved Member

Default Ambrosius?

I'm in the Gray Wasteland, and I want to clear the runes from the graves to save the souls. Unfortunately, I can't get near the cemetery because Ambrosius keeps walking around the area, and I can't get past him. (If I get past him one way, he comes at me from another direction.) I just keep running away. In fact, I keep a boat in the water next to the Boatman's house so I can run that way to get away from him. Then I just sit there in the water waiting for him to get far enough away so I can make a run for the exit book to Ellinia.

Anyway, call me a coward, but Ambrosius is tremendously stronger than I am. I'd like to get through the quest and unblock this gate back to Death Valley, but I don't want to die or lose most of my army in the process. Also, I'd like to get back to Necromancer Neirum's tower, but Ambrosius keeps going up there, too, and it's a dead end.

Is there any way around this? Or should I just wait forever until I'm a lot stronger?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

What good would waiting do?

Since you say he is tremendously stronger, have you cleared out all the previous areas, i.e. all of Kordar and Ellinia? If not, you could probably gain another level or two there.

Also, which class are you playing as? If as mage, then your leadership will be naturally lower, and the game measures that when evaluating the strength of an enemy army, which means it doesn't take spells or stats into account, and these things may easily turn the tide of battle.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Approved Member

Red face

Hi, Metathron,
Thanks. I know my comments sounded silly (and cowardly), but I was frustrated.

I've cleaned up all of Darion, Islands of Freedom, Kordar, and Ellinia, including the Grey Wasteland, Death Valley and Karador's castle, and I've upgraded all of my "upgradable" items, in order to gain experience. I've had a couple of skirmishes in Demonia, but I still have more to go there. I've checked every inch of every island, cave, etc., and I've asked everyone at castles for quests, going back repeatedly, as well as others flagged for quests. (I have two or three quests left.) I've also obtained my 30 runes from Violetta.

The only things I've skipped so far, that I know of, are the Dark Tower in Ellinia and the second battle (and more, if there are more) in the Arena of Truth. I got completely squashed there before, so I've just put it on hold. It appeared to me that it was just a joke to lure suckers in---facing yourself, you can't possibly win---but now I see (at this forum) that plenty of others have had no trouble with it, so I guess I'd better go back again.

All I have left, beyond those, are Haas Labyrinth and Murock.

I'm a paladin, and I just made it to Lord, level 26, and I now have access to hoards of my favorite fighters, so I'm now on my way to see how I might stand up against Ambrosius.

Thanks, again, for your reply.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Approved Member

Smile Learned my lesson

Well, I learned something valuable about this game. Last night, after my previous post, I played the game and went after Ambrosius. With my new armies, new level and "lordship," I checked his stats against mine.

He was still one level higher and listed as "strong," so I tried different weapons, armies, etc. (I'd kept two full reserve armies.) I managed to find one arrangement that listed him as "slightly stronger." I couldn't understand this because my troop numbers seemed better than his and most of my stats beat his. With this in mind I attacked him (with plenty of useful rage) and, lo and behold, I kicked his butt---losing several replaceable troops in the process, but I did it, and I was finally able to finish the "lost souls" quest. I then went on to Demonis and won a few battles that previously would have intimidated me. My level increased again last night, due to tough (fun) battles.

Thus, I learned never to judge an enemy by the labels "very strong," "strong," "match," etc. I'm sure most of you already knew that, but I thought it was a worthwhile lesson to share with newbies like me. (This is my first KB game.)

Build up levels, troop strength, etc., then judge the enemy's stats against your own, make your decision, and go with it.

Now that I've learned this, I'm not so frightened of "stronger" enemies.

Now I'm going back into the fray.

(Forgive me for being so long-winded.)
Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
Thus, I learned never to judge an enemy by the labels "very strong," "strong," "match," etc.
True. I've won battles with enemies described as "very strong" with no casualties, but lost some units with "slightly weaker" ones. This most happens with enemy troops using some irritating abilities, like Demoness' "swap" or Giants' "Earthquake". They make you unable to keep melees off archers or resurrecting own troops almost impossible (loosing units of every stack every turn)
Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Approved Member

Doncha just hate those!