Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Default Sound cutting out when diving

Hi all,

My name is Rumpii, and I am new to cliffs of dover, however have played IL2 1946 for many years.

My Issue is a very annoying and immersion breaking one! When I am flying (spitfire and/or hurricane/bf109) engine noise is fine, moving up and down the rpm range when increasing and decreasing throttle.

However, At anything above minimum throttle, when I dive in one of the above aircraft, the engine noise completely cuts out, and there is silence apart from the sound of g stress on the aircraft. I understand that less/more fuel is flowing to the engine of the aircraft depending on pitch, and therefore the engine should "bog down" rpm dropping, however the sound just cuts out as the rpm drops, and i believe this is a sound issue and is not actually supposed to happen, because it is simply incredibly immersion killing.

I am currently uploading a video to youtube of the issue so you can see for yourself.

Things that i have tried to fix this:
- Changing sound settings in control panel - loads of different combinations - changing quality, enhancements, turning enhancements off etc.

- Trying different sound devices - earphones, my 2.1 speakers, headphones. (all were the same)

- Trying this stutter fix which i thought may help due to this being a sound related fix http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ad.php?t=10031

- Changing conf.ini soundsetup setting 1 2 or 3 didnt work

- Uninstalling game and TF mod and trying with vanilla game - problem persisted.

I am stumped as to what I can do, but this is really game breaking for me, I cant enjoy a flight if the aircrafts nose is pointing downwards at all! (even when flying upside down)

I have creative a250 2.1 speakers in full range stereo mode (have tried different modes)

Specs:

i5 4670k 4.5ghz
EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB
8GB Corsair XMS3
Asus Z87k mobo
Game installed on a 256gb crucial m4 SSD

I will post the video in an edit as soon as it is uploaded.

Thanks in advance

*YOUTUBE VIDEO*

/Rumpii

Last edited by Rumpii; 06-23-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added Youtube link
Old 06-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Approved Member

Hi

To my knowledge, this is accurate. The engine cuts out because there is no fuel coming into the engine and because of that you don`t hear anything. RPM drops. It`s certainly not a bug, the game is meant to be like this.

I really believe that this is accurate because engine-sound is not the sound from the engine turning, but the mini-explosions (=burning fuel) in the engine... and that is what stops when you push your nose down...

I fear there is no fix to that, but if you want to, you can lower the realism-settings so that negative G`s don`t have an effect....

Sorry
Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Really? are you sure about this?

I'm very surprised if it is supposed to be this way, when I fly, I cant hear anything from the engine through my speakers when i dive like this, just wind noise and creaking, whereas if i do this in 1946 with hsfx7 i can hear the engine losing rpm until it cuts out and it is not just silent.

the sound just cuts out completely even if my engine still has a few thousand rpm and turned on - no low rpm sound.

If I am wrong, this is quite an annoying feature compared to the way it works in 1946, maybe it is something with my speakers? I will watch the video on a different computer and see.

Thank you for the reply, if someone could confirm that this is correct, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Approved Member

Hi

At least it was like that for me as well - since day one of this game. I don`t fly red that much, but I can`t remember that it was different at some point. And if I am correct, even with the stock version of 1946 you had similiar effects in the CR42 for example.

To avoid sound bugs in Cliffs, please turn up the volume in cliffs to 100% and reduce the volume afterwards with the windows-mixer (alt + tab to the desktop and select the mixer from the task bar, you can set the volume for every running process there...)

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Alright thanks for the reply!

I understand that it is realistic for the rpms to drop as fuel is cut off, but with no sound to indicate this it kind of breaks immersion for me . I guess i will have to start flying blue

cheers!

/Rumpii
Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 AM
Approved Member

Sound cutting out on the early RR engines was a known fact with pilots in the Spits and Hurricanes, it didn't happen with the 109's because of the fuel injected engine. The RR engines were carb fuel fed and cut out when the nose of the aircraft was pushed down with the joystick. This was a fault that the 109 pilots knew about and used to their advantage. The problem was initially over come by fitting a washer if I remember correctly about the size of a penny (old coinage) into the carb with a hole in it (this allowed the fuel to pass through but was small enough to stop the fuel draining back when the aircraft was put into a dive. Hence the knick name "Miss Penny's orifice", later engines became fuel injected as technology developed.

Asus M4N98TD-EVO
AMD Phenom2 965 x 4 3.4gig
8gig DDR3 Ram
2x GTS 450 Sli (1gig each)
1Tb HDD Partitioned x 5
700w Coolermaster single rail P/S 52a
Windows 7 64bit
19" Samsung 931BW monitor
1280 x 960 Resolution