Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robday View Post
There may well be people out there who "ache" for a Korean scenario as an addition to the IL2 world, but if it's not in the sphere of TD's interest it aint gonna get done by them! As Flyby says, they have worked miracles with this old sim. I. for one. am eternally grateful.
It'd take a proper community effort to do this. TD is a very small group of volunteers and it'd need more to make Korea work.

We'd need a couple of teams doing maps and map objects and a good number of people working on aircraft. Not impossible, but I think it would take a concerted effort.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 AM
Approved Member

There's been a fair bit of mod work for the planes and maps of the KTO. In particular, the MiG-15 and F-86 look quite good, as do the KTO maps, but I don't know if they're actually up to TD standards.

Other planes have been modeled, but they're not as good-looking. IIRC, there's the La-9, La-11, H-16 Sioux/Bell 47, A-26 Invader, F-84 Thunderjet, F4U-4 and F4U-5 Corsair, F8F Bearcat, and F9F Panther/Tiger/Cougar which are pretty good looking except for "franken-cockpits" and the T-6 Texan and P-82 Twin Mustang which are crude "franken-planes."

But there are two huge problems with an IL2-based Korean War add on.

The first problem is that IL2 doesn't support realistic helicopter flight, which cuts out of of the unique features of the Korean War - early helicopter ops.

The second problem is the NG consent decree, which would gut the list of available U.S. naval aircraft. How are you going to have a decent Korean add-on without planes like the F7F Tigercat, F8F Bearcat, F9F Panther/Cougar and the F4U-4/-5 Corsair?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pursuivant
The second problem is the NG consent decree, which would gut the list of available U.S. naval aircraft. How are you going to have a decent Korean add-on without planes like the F7F Tigercat, F8F Bearcat, F9F Panther/Cougar and the F4U-4/-5 Corsair?
Simply, we can't. Better to forget the whole thing, I fear.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post

The first problem is that IL2 doesn't support realistic helicopter flight, which cuts out of of the unique features of the Korean War - early helicopter ops.
Strange,saw a vídeo of a HRS-3 and it looked decent...
Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf-110 View Post
Strange,saw a vídeo of a HRS-3 and it looked decent...
There are modded versions of the HRS-3 and Bell 47/H-18 Sioux which look good, and which seem to fly pretty well, but which don't exactly behave like a real helicopter should. That makes them too easy to fly, IMO, but then then I'm ignorant about how real helicopters work.