Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Default Getting Nvidia AA to work?

I've seen a few old threads on here regarding this topic, but they don't seem to work for me. I'm wondering if it's because a new patch changed something since then or new Nvidia drivers affect something.

So, how do I get AA working using the Nvidia settings panel? I've browsed and found the IL-2 CoD 'Launcher.exe', I've set FXAA to 'On', set Antialiasing Mode to 'Override any application setting', Antialiasing Setting to '8x' and Antialiasing Transparency to '2x (supersample)'. I also set the in-game AA to off.

I don't think I notice much, if any, difference in the AA in the game. I've tried with 16xQ CSAA, 32x CSAA, Multisampling and a few others. Nothing seems to work, really. Anything which does seem to work (but is probably just placebo) still does not at all look like the quality of AA that it should (8x, for example, looks at the very best to be 2x).

My card is a GeForce 560 GTX, so it should be able to handle it fine. I've got the latest version of Nvidia drivers. What else can I do to make AA work in this game? I see some screenshots from people that seem to have great AA and other which look like mine. What is the secret to getting AA working?

Thanks very much.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

I had sweetfx enabled before I switched my 5850 to my gtx670, in the control Panel I just enabled fxaa on and enhance application.It definitely got rid of the jaggies I have these as global settings, I read that selecting the launcher exe. and assigning the settings to that might be problematic.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
I had sweetfx enabled before I switched my 5850 to my gtx670, in the control Panel I just enabled fxaa on and enhance application.It definitely got rid of the jaggies I have these as global settings, I read that selecting the launcher exe. and assigning the settings to that might be problematic.
Global...thanks for the tip

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

I've been using SweetFX now (with max SMAA) for a little while and it makes a decent difference. I think it makes more of a difference than 16xQ CSAA, 16x CSAA or 32x in the Nvidia control panel ever has. I think the FXAA settings in the Nvidia control panel do a little bit, but not much.

The thing is, all AA things seem to work ok for most external views of the aircraft - but the cockpits all still look like terrible jagged messes. The gauges all shimmer constantly, the jagged edges of the gunsight glass and metal parts are very noticeable. However, the worst thing is when I'm in a 109 and the cockpit frame directly in front of me is a huge pile of jaggies. No amount of AA seems to tame it if it has light reflecting off the edge (which seems to be almost always).

I've learnt to look past it for now, but I was hoping there was a way to get the Nvidia options working properly. Right now, it feels like they work as much as 2x AA does, no matter what setting I use. My computer seems to run CoD fine, so I would really like to be able to properly up the AA to 16x or 32x, but it doesn't seem any different than 2x.

Did the FXAA get rid of all of the jaggies for you, or just most of them? If you're in a 109, are the main front cockpit frame parts edged with big jaggies? If not, what settings are you using? I'd really like to try them out if they can make the front part of the frame relatively smooth (or even jagged, but not glittering and moving!).

Thanks

Edit: Oh, I just realised what you meant by "global". Awesome, I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a go later on (not at my main computer right now) and see how it goes. Thanks very much!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Approved Member

My cockpit looks smooth now, thats how I know it is working.Also distant shorelines looked bad as hell before , but now they are looking great.Anyone else with Nvidia should definitely try my settings.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Approved Member

Matressi please report back your results, I had read countless times that there was no way to get AA to work with the sim but after I changed to Nvidia it is definitely working superbly.Trust me when I say this, as I HATE jaggies, and as you said they are terrible in cockpit specially on the 109 which is the plane I fly the most.I cant say that there are zero jaggies, but the effect is like a 8x on a regular game which is what most of the people use anyways so asking for more would be a bit too greedy.Ill see if I can post a few pictures for comparison.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
My cockpit looks smooth now, thats how I know it is working.Also distant shorelines looked bad as hell before , but now they are looking great.Anyone else with Nvidia should definitely try my settings.
Where are they? I know you mentioned that you enabled FXAA, but please could you give a more detailed list?

Thanks,
Sabre.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrefly View Post
Where are they? I know you mentioned that you enabled FXAA, but please could you give a more detailed list?

Thanks,
Sabre.
Nvidia control panel, under "manage 3d settings" look for "anti aliasing-fxaa" and enable it.I use this as a global setting for all games since Im only playing Cliffs, I heard people got issues while just trying to link these settings with the "launcher.exe"
Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 AM
Approved Member

I can confirm that the Nvidea Control Panel AA does work, so long as you assign it to the Launcher.Exe and not just the Launcher icon. Also FXAA must be turned on. Cockpits are very smooth! Turning FXAA off does not seem to reduce the problem of shimmering terrain that is visible where the low detail areas meet the high detail areas. I'll try setting it in the Global to see if that reduces the distant horizon shimmer. I'll also try the SMAA set up as suggested by Sabrefly and will report back with any results.

Last edited by Screamadelica; 10-21-2013 at 02:25 AM.