Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Approved Member

Default Home made long throw joystick

Hi guys

Thought I'd post a few pictures of my recent project. I been looking for a full size long throw joystick to try to improve the immersion factor of the flying games I play, namely il2. Having looked in vein for a long a time a found a few out of date forums containing posts from guys who had made their own. Some of them looking rather good - others not so much. I decided after reading a couple of post that I could do the same - Rather foolishly as I have no knowledge of electronics whatsoever! I ordered a board and various components from Leo Bodnar and After a few hours of working out how I would make a gimble system I set to it. The majority of it is made with fittings that I had on my van (I'm a plumber) and it consists of hardwood, m10 threaded bar and some plumbing fittings and pipe. I've tried to do it on budget and all in all it didn't cost a lot at all when you start comparing it to other joysticks. If any of you guys have ever thought about a long throw joystick then I would urge you to look into it as I think it gives you much more control and adds to the immersion factor and If I can do it then anybody can. If anyone has attempted or completed one post some pictures. It would good to get some threads going on any mods done to simpits or homemade controllers. Be good to get some ideas thrown around for other possible ideas or ideas on making a realistic joystick as am sure there will be better designs than I have used. I've also got an idea for a switch panel that it would be good to get peoples feedback on the layout. Anyways I'll post some picture and if enough people are interested ill lift the lid and show you how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (985.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Approved Member

Will try to get some more photos up but am struggling to upload the ATM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Approved Member

cool, it must be quite big cockpit you are building looking at height.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Approved Member

Well spotted. I will mount my seat ( an old bucket seat) flush with the top and over the lower box on the side, then build things up around it. It only started out as a bit of a prototype to see if it would work so I didn't really take the size in to consideration as there is a fair bit of room needed for the mechanism.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Approved Member

Lift the lid already.