Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 07-18-2013, 04:48 AM
Approved Member

Default FW190 wing dropping

I'am curious with this plane behaviour nowadays.

Originally, and by historical accounts, it has a tendency to suddenly drop it's right wing when forced into a tight turn.

In game, it used to do this independently of the turn direction. It snaped to the rgiht without warning.

Now, it drops both wings, and ends into a spin. I remembered this after flying in RoF with a Foker DrI, and saying, 'hey this is how the 190 performed earlyer on il2 sim'.

I become curious and gived it a try, and now the 190 just drop lower wing. And worst, it enters into a spin, and later into a flat spin. This wasn't the original behaviour by far. And it seems 'wrong', because the wing drop effect was produced by some excess of torque effect, so it must be always to the same side, not both. I used to avoid it by diminishing engine power, but now that is doing nothing.

I remember that spit IX also have that effect of wing dropping on il2.

I don't know if it is a TD era change, to test I will need to reinstall to 4.09
Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Supermarine developed a new laminar flow wing based on new aerofoil profiles developed by NACA in the United States, with the objective of reducing drag and improving performance. These laminar flow airfoils were the Supermarine 371-I used at the root and the 371-II used at the tip. Supermarine estimated that the new wing could give an increase in speed of 55 mph (89 km/h) over the Spitfire Mk 21. The new wing was initially fitted to a Spitfire Mk XIV
The P51 and 190 had the same " wing trick " at low speed stall.
The do a wing roll, opposite to the turn side.
Maybe at 4.07 not 4.09

I must admit the laminar flow wing fitted to the Mustang could be a little tricky. ( you only need to read )
Laminar flow allows for even less induced drag. But less induced drag also means much less lift. basically at high speeds its great, but low speeds is bad in turns.
The stall speed is much higher.

Now P51 and 190 get a deadly stall at low speeds.

Now is a draw , but one does not have laminar wings.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

You must need more practice.

I have been in some hard dogfights in the 4.12 Fw190A vs. a variety of it's contemporaries at anywhere from high to very low speed with full flaps and I have never completely lost control of it to the point where I have got into a spin or crashed, and I have managed to turn the tables and shoot down aircraft that are better at turning or faster, and which if I were in them a 190 should never have a chance.

IF you get into a spin in any aircraft in combat then you sure are not as good in it as you should be.

I don't care to count how many different patches of the 190A everyone has had to fly with in IL2 over the last dozen years, two dozen? It should be no surprise that as it changes over various patches and is refined it's enthusiasts will have to explore it and make adjustments to their flying and tactics.

Get used to it, TD is on the job.

Most people who lose in IL2 dogfights because of a snap-out or spin are simply too heavy on the stick during a fight, either from not being cool and calm enough or simply not being good at what they are doing.

I have kicked ass with the Corsair, Mustang and FW190 all the while those flying them around me are snapping and spinning into the ground over and over, they simply have to spend the time practicing that they spend talking about it and they will be one step ahead of where they were.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Approved Member

A simple question.... Why is it that the FW is the MOST changed FM in the entire game? With each group claiming they have done a better job than the previous... I wouldn't use the term refined.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

I have some years of practice,

Now we have
UP.
HSFX
HSFX + Expert
4.12 TD

Is a madness...

The other day I flew a BF 109 G6 - 50% fuel on a server full settings.
After one head to head pass at 1200 ft, the 2 planes are at medium speed.
A P47 D10 out turn me in left turn at deck ...after five turns.
First I turn without flaps, then combat flaps, then takeoff flaps...and landing flaps.. then my engine get a overheat and fail.

I have three problems now... maybe
1)I need to learn to fly the p 47
2) The cheaters
3) Remember what version of IL2 is set on server ... Is a madness...
Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

I didn't say that I was having trouble with the FW190, not that it was porked.

I just stated that it's behaviour have changed to something different from what was expected, specially when compared with other sim that got that kind of effect well implemented.

I will expect the 190 (like all planes with high torque motors and small frames) to snap roll allways on the same direction when the engine is at full throtle. Now it behaves more like being a jet powered plane, not a piston over sized engine.

Mind you... I called the 190 because originally was the plane that suffered that effect the most. I16 also were a star on that league... originally.

BTW... I tested it offline, and without opposition. Obviously without full flaps, that will be total nosense for validating the flight model. Torque seems to be almost absent right now on the 'game'.