Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Er,I think you have misinterpreted and I suggest you re-read. I can tell you that for all the hours that Bf-109G-2 Black 6 was in the air, Charlie Brown was behind the stick for more than half that time. He's familiar with the 109. This was his first test flight in the E. He said the almost complete lack of longitudinal stability at tail-off was familiar - i.e it was a charactersitic of the 109G and was also inherent in the E. What is different is that the E does things at lower speeds, which one can presume is from the lower weight of the E variant compared to the G.
Oups, my mistake, I should have been clearer. I wanted to say that he was unfamiliar with the E type, not with the 109 in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Any WW2 era fighter is of 1000+HP on an airframe under 10 tonnes is gonna be a handful at full power and the low end of the speed range - the sheer physics of forces says so - the difference lies in the aerodynamic power of the control surfaces at these speeds to compensate or correct. Clearly the 109s are lacking. Sure the Spitfire could bite but it remained longitudinally controllable and had effective rudder down to walking speed. The fact the the 109 is 'almost completely unstable longitudinally at tail up' even with propellor driven airflow over the tail surfaces speaks volumes. Even in the air you have to work the rudder hard during maneouvres to keep co-ordinated (source: Me109 - One Summer Two Messerschmitts DVD).

When adequately trained and experienced flyers are allowed near the 109 it's a capable aeroplane - Erich Hartmann alone demonstrates this. However what this shows is that to get it off the ground and back on it again requires attention, a good experience of flying tail-wheel aircraft and of airmanship in general. These are things which a peacetime air force or one that is riding a cresting wave of victories can readily supply in the training syllabus. However, these are not characteristics I would associate with the backbone of the Luftwaffe by 1944. And the reason the 109 wasn't replaced by then is because no one in the 3rd Reich had the foresight to work on a successor back when it counted; they thought the war would be over and won by 1943!
As I said I (I am repeating myself): albeit I do believe that the 109 was tricky I do not believe that it was so tricky that 30% of all losses (from 1939-45) pertained to take-off and landing accidents because of the 109 being tricky in this phase.

I concede that the accident rate will have risen towards the end of the war in 44/45 when only badly trained youths were litterally thrown into the air against the bomber flows but we're talking here about the early stages (BoB). It does not say anything about the 109 being intrinsically dangerous, simply tricky. If the 109 would have been so inherently dangerous during take-off and landing it would have been it from the start throughout all stages of the war. If it would have been that dangerous the armament ministry would have done something about it and be it requesting some modifications to the 109 design (for instance increasing the tail surface could have been a countermeasure). Nothing in that direction was ever undertaken indicating clearly that there was no importance attributed to take-off / landing difficulties thus indicating that the problems were not so significant to justify any modifications.

If the accidant rate increased towards the end of the war it can only be attributed to the training level of the average pilot not to the plane itself.

Again (repeating again): It was surely not easy to take off and one may discuss if it is too easy in game but I do think that this bad reputation of the 109 being dangerous to take-off and land is unjustified and a modern myth.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Approved Member

Well then crow, it looks like we're singing from the same hymn sheet.

Quote:
It does not say anything about the 109 being intrinsically dangerous, simply tricky
I particularly like this, and it sums up my feelings on the matter too.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Stormcrow View Post
Mh. Now the thing with the narrow landing gear I have a problem: The Spit has a narrow landing gear too, and perhaps even narrower (the landing gear of the 109 is slightly bent outward while the legs of the Spits are just straightforward parallel).

You now may reply: yeah, the torque in the 109 was stronger. This may be true - but only during full power (not gradual power increase) take-off. Never during landing as the power during landing was usually cut down to very little or even idle.

Brown's statement says clearly that he was not familiar with the type and expected a different behaviour. Of course this may indicate that rookie pilots may have had problems to handle this crate. But I really would like to recall that many spit pilots reported on a strong tendency of the spit to break away too during take-off.
I just want to add, that what made the 109`s take off and landing characteristic really bad was not only the fact that it had a narrow landing gear setup, but in the same time the struts and the wheels pointed outwards. Because of this the pilot had a very narrow margin to make fails. The slightest out of horizontal plane during take off and landing resulted a violent break out to the sides.

The spit had similar wheel distance but it had parallel landing struts, and that made it much more forgiving.

On the top of it during take off there was the huge torque from the engine, what tried to roll the aircraft at slow speeds (so exactly what had to be avoided considering the pointing outwards wheels). If you put the two problems together then you know why it required such a great attention to handle the 109 during take off.

Of course it was not magic, but it required full attention and no mistakes.

Cheers
MM
Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

If you read the reports from finnish pilots you'll find that they didn't find the 109 difficult at all.
Maybe because they, against their training by the germans, kept the tail on the ground as long as possible, keeping the longitudal stability this way until the airstream on the rudder made it effective.
Same with the landings, as long as you made 3-pointers there was no problem, they said, and of course lock the tail wheel, but this came with the later 109's.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

I read the Finnish pilots were horrified when the saw fresh German pilots landing on 2 wheels. The Finns always practised 3 pointers.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
I read the Finnish pilots were horrified when the saw fresh German pilots landing on 2 wheels. The Finns always practised 3 pointers.
Maybe that the Finnish pilots were over-modelled?
GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB
Logitech G35 Headset
Logitech G940 Flight System (fw 1.42)
Mad Catz Strike7 Keyboard
Headtracker DIY 6DOF & OpenTrack 2.3.10
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Approved Member

Hhaha - will I need more than 4 cores?

Glad to hear of the Blenheim fix - thought it was just me!

(-£ 250 later for new HOTAS and throttle quadrants)
Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

The question is simple : When will be this patch released ?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flia View Post
The question is simple : When will be this patch released ?
I'd say not today, tomorrow more likely but 2 weeks be sure.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F19_Klunk View Post
"It's going into wide internal testing today, which will last through the weekend and probably a couple of days more."

Thank you for a very informative update....not to be a party pooper but I guess people should not expect an imminent release. If you start testing internally now, it seems to me that a release would be realistic within 2-3 weeks, giving you time to fix minor issues which are bound to show up at a testphase.

Either way, I am happy we see progress.