Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Approved Member

Default New User - couple initial questions

Hey gang,

I was a big fan of IL2 1946, having had the original IL2, then IL2 FB and later adding PF. When I did a system rebuild about 3 years ago, I went ahead and got IL2 1946 to make install easier.

Anyway, wanting to get back into WWII simming, I finally have taken the pluge and purchased Cliffs of Dover. Have been following some of the info on the forums, and sounds like it is more stable now with better performance since it's intitial release.

It is installed, I have yet to click on play. Have been reading up trying to learn as much as I can- mainly the available faq's here to say I am a little intimidated would be an understatement.

As I prepare to get into the actual playing of the sim, first I will work on the process of setting my controls of course.

Some early questions:
I am sure I have read somewhere here regarding any editing of the config files, that they are stored on a cloud as well, and get overwritten - ie reset to default? What do I need to do in order to prevent that if that is the case?
Track IR - I have a Track IR4 Pro , is Track IR support automatic or is there an edit I need to do to a config file somewhere? I think I saw mentioned here in a thread somewhere there was a menu selection for enabling it , but I have not seen it?
Intro Video - Is there supposed to be one? If there is, I am not seeing it - just the opening splash screen of 1C / Ubisoft

Anyway, I am also trying to wrap my arms around these forums and the proper place to post certain questions, I seem to be a little overwhelmed in this regard , hope this is ok here.

EVGA X79 Dark MB| I7 4820Kcpu @ 4.5 ghz|16gb Corsair 2100 MHZ DDR3 ram|EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB |SoundBlaster Z PCIe soundcard | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Pedals | Track IR5 | Windows 8.1 64 bit
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Approved Member

Hello,
you dont need to edit your conf.ini to use TrackIR. If you change something in your conf files, you have to do it in your ( own?)documents folder! Not in the programs-steamblabla-folder!!!
You can deactivate the Intro movie, you just have to rename it (logo2 or something else!)
Just search for UBI-Logo file!
I hope you understand what i'm trying to explain you! My english is to bad!
SSD OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb
ASUS HD 6950 DirectCU II
Catalyst 12.6
Saitek Evo Force+Rudder pedals
TrackIR 5
Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Approved Member

personally i disable autoupdates and cloud in steam then switch to offline mode, then you shouldn't have any probs.

TiR- there is a line in conf.ini about halfway down ([rts] section)
trackIRUse= (1 enabled, 0 disabled)

don't worry about the ubi logo 'fix' as this applies to ati cards.
anf it's the only 'video intro'- don't panic

one thing i would add is make a backup of your conf, confs and confUser inis and put them somewhere safe.(these all in ..docs.. folder).

Also when you make changes to controls ALWAYS hit 'apply' for it to 'take hold'
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolox View Post
personally i disable autoupdates and cloud in steam then switch to offline mode, then you shouldn't have any probs.

TiR- there is a line in conf.ini about halfway down ([rts] section)
trackIRUse= (1 enabled, 0 disabled)

don't worry about the ubi logo 'fix' as this applies to ati cards.
anf it's the only 'video intro'- don't panic

one thing i would add is make a backup of your conf, confs and confUser inis and put them somewhere safe.(these all in ..docs.. folder).

Also when you make changes to controls ALWAYS hit 'apply' for it to 'take hold'
Ok I really don't mind being online with Steam, but am I to understand in order to make any changes and have them stick, to any of the conf files - that I do need to change to offline and disable updates? That is fine too, just want to be sure I understand that correctly.
And changes to any of the conf files need to be done with the ones in my documents directory?

Video Intro - so the opening splash screen is all there is showing the ubi logo, no video sequence intro involved? I thought I had read there was - if there is I have not seen it...

Thanks for the tip and help guys - sorry I need little clarification, just started on my first cup of coffee

EVGA X79 Dark MB| I7 4820Kcpu @ 4.5 ghz|16gb Corsair 2100 MHZ DDR3 ram|EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB |SoundBlaster Z PCIe soundcard | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Pedals | Track IR5 | Windows 8.1 64 bit
Old 03-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

no it's not necessary to put steam in offline mode, my approach being a 'belt and braces' one to eliminate any minute chance of anything changing through steam-just call me cautious/cynical
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolox View Post
no it's not necessary to put steam in offline mode, my approach being a 'belt and braces' one to eliminate any minute chance of anything changing through steam-just call me cautious/cynical
Ok so when I get going with this thing, and am running through Steam, am I going to run into any issues with changing any config files? I am still not very clear on that, but am recovering from surgery and in a pain killer induced haze as well... so my apologies if I sound repetitious.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burnette View Post
am recovering from surgery and in a pain killer induced haze as well... so my apologies if I sound repetitious.
Ouch. Same here.

The guys will get you sorted, I only posted this useless post (sorry) somehow to advice you that from my own experience is best if you don't mess with COD under pain killers!

wish you a good recovery.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUD View Post
Ouch. Same here.

The guys will get you sorted, I only posted this useless post (sorry) somehow to advice you that from my own experience is best if you don't mess with COD under pain killers!

wish you a good recovery.
LOL, not useless at all, and I suspect you are very right!! That is advice that will be well taken!

Thanks,

Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Approved Member

Whew, finally found my original thread. Guys I don't know what is more overwhelming to me at the moment, trying to figure out where to begin in this sim, or where to put my posts when I do have questions! I see so many different sections in these forums, with subsections below the sections, I am really not sure where the appropriate place for me to ask questions is...

Well the sim is installed, I have gone in and set my graphics options using one of the faq's here as a guideline. I went into the controls and just made sure my aileron, throttle, and rudder was assigned to the proper axis on my Cougar, so I would have at least the very basic controls hopefully available to me to at least to get to take a quick look at this.

So this afternoon for the first time, I actually clicked the play button. I went into the training menu, and selected takeoff. Well first attempt, the instructor said that was the worst bit of flying he has ever seen and took control away from me LOL. In my defense this was prior to properly assigned the 3 controls to my Cougar. Then I went back and tried it again, and aced the takeoff procedure - he thought it was a fine bit of flying.
I then proceeded to do the landing training - managed to ace that one on my first attempt.

Pleased to see my Track IR worked right out the chute with the sim. I will need to work on a profile for it for this one though, it was a little docile for my liking...

Probably little too early to comment on the graphics and performance no more than I have flown so far- looks pretty good, seems like I maybe saw a little stuttering but not real bad.

I am a little surprised at how overwhelming this all seems to me at the moment, considering all the hours of fun I have had with the IL2 series.

I guess my next step before going further would be to dig into the contols again, and start mapping them to my Cougar, or creating a profile for the key commands for my Cougar? I hear many are airplane specific, so maybe I need to pick the plane I will be starting with first? I know somewhere in anther thread I think, I had a recommendation of couple planes to start with, can't seem to find it now.

Just mainly thinking out loud here , of course any and all guidance is always greatly appreciated! And if I am making these posts in the wrong forum sections, please let me know - I think this is the technical forum and not sure it is appropriate here or not. I just see so many, even just what appears to be a COD main forum that does not follow a specific section - guess that would be considered like just a catch all forum?

Thanks for any tips,