Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
The problem is there is nothing happening with the sim until the various problems get fixed, so nothing to talk about.
Nothing happening? Oh I don't know, there are several servers like ATAG that have a fare amout of people flying every night of the week and more on the weekneds.. I wouldn't call that nothing
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
You can't be serious, surely? Ban those who make off-topic posts? At this rate there'll barely be a forum left, and if there is it'll only be populated with kool-aid drinking fanboys.

This place, the 1c Company and Maddox Games disappoint me more every time I visit. Just a 'friendly heads up' here, but this forum is already half-dead thanks to the excessive moderation - if you make the posting rules any more draconian, I'd be surprised if anyone comes back here at all.

Of course i am, every forum in the world has off topic rules.
You should see some other forums and the kind of moderation they have, people get banned simply for posting in the wrong section, and these are not even official forums but usually community maintained ones. Now that is excessive moderation, what we have here is not really.
Our situations is simply a few people not willing to change their habits of "i do whatever i want". Their call, the rules are very simple and will be enforced.

This is an official forum with enough sections for everyone to post to their heart's content. I can tell someone to post in the right section, i can offer to move their posts there, etc etc. It's just that certain people don't want that and are not happy having their own thread, instead they want to have their stand in the spotlight and derail threads that should be community service/public announcement in nature, like this one.

So, these people will get off-topic points because i have other things to do that try to sweet talk them into cooperating and have them ignore me every time.

The rules are simple: update threads are about the update, not trying to prove each other wrong, which is what a lot of people do here. You should see the kind of reported posts we get too: it's more or less the same 2-3 "duelists" who fight it out here, reporting each other's posts.

Like i always say, i don't mind opinions of whatever kind. But they WILL respect the right of any other forum member to be able to come to an update thread and find information about the update, instead of watching the same 2-3 adults verbally assaulting each other week in, week out

This is nobody's private playground, it's a community service platform and quite honestly, the only people who will have a problem adjusting to the new rules are those that can't stomach the fact that they are not more important than the rest. Everybody's freedom ends where the other guy's freedom starts, it's dead simple. That's what we are trying to do here and it's not exactly easy, we make mistakes too like every other human being, but we want to keep going at it, correcting them as we go.

If you have any better ideas, by all means you're welcome to apply for a moderator position and spend your free time managing the forum instead of flying

Last edited by Blackdog_kt; 03-01-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
You should see some other forums and the kind of moderation they have, people get banned simply for posting in the wrong section..
You sure visit way different forums than I do as over the years I've never ever heard of or seen anyhting like this you describe.

I'm pretty much with Orpheus on this one.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Tree_UK

All that being said though Blackdog it does seem that anyone who is considered a 'whiner' (I prefer the term disgruntled customer) seem to get the bans/infractions whilst the 'defend the dev's at all cost crew' appear to have an easier time. I see everyday in these forums posts that would either cost myself a ban or an infraction getting overlooked, however that maybe just my perception. All that being said I do appreciate the difficult tasks the mods have to undertake its just a shame that there arn't a few disgruntled customers amongst the mods to even things out a little.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

Who would you invite into your home? The guy who gushes about your decor and really likes the breed of dog you have and loves your cooking or the guy who continuously tells you that you're doing everything wrong and makes sarcastic remarks about every thing you attempt to do and says I told you so at every possible opportunity?

Customer or not, the forums are their home and we're visiting. We paid for the software on the disc (or in the download), not for carte blanche to act like pricks and then defend it under the so so often misused category of 'constructive' criticism.

I've seen plenty of people on the forums who are able to make their concerns about the game known and offer suggestions in a way that is in no way contrary to the spirit of being a contributing member to the community.

I've also seen plenty of people who THINK this is what they're doing, but they really need to work on their social skills.

And I've also seen people who like to try and make a game of being as snide as they can with their criticism, pushing the boundaries of the moderators to try and drive them into an action that they can later use as more evidence to support their points, points which seem to be entirely counter productive to even being involved with the IL-2 community in the first place.

I'm surprised more strict forum rules weren't put in place months ago.
Pilot #1 (9:40 hours flying time, 3/0/1 Fighters, 7/2/0 Bombers). RIP

No.401 Squadron Forum

Using ReconNZ's Pilot Log Book
Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw_wolverine View Post
Who would you invite into your home? The guy who gushes about your decor and really likes the breed of dog you have and loves your cooking.....
It's just that too much of a fanboy attitude is also detrimental to the game. If everything was so perfect as some of you continue to say, the devs would have no motivation to fix anything....and us naysayers could start designing our own sim

Same thing goes for those with tunnel vision who obsess on a missing rivet or wrong ammo load.

It takes all types and everyone should be able to make a statement or opinion without being called names or had their IQ questioned. Remember many are coming to this forum and using english as a second language so it can naturally come off as abrasive or overbearing

We don't have to be friends, we are just posting our feelings about a game
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theshark888 View Post
It's just that too much of a fanboy attitude is also detrimental to the game. If everything was so perfect as some of you continue to say, the devs would have no motivation to fix anything....and us naysayers could start designing our own sim
I'm not defending hopeless fanboys either, just trying to point out why there might be a bit more tolerance for them than for the other.

Which would you justify to yourself? An ability to not let overpraise go to your head, or the ability to let insults roll off your back. I know which 'problem' I'd rather deal with.
Pilot #1 (9:40 hours flying time, 3/0/1 Fighters, 7/2/0 Bombers). RIP

No.401 Squadron Forum

Using ReconNZ's Pilot Log Book
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
You can't be serious, surely? Ban those who make off-topic posts? At this rate there'll barely be a forum left, and if there is it'll only be populated with kool-aid drinking fanboys.

This place, the 1c Company and Maddox Games disappoint me more every time I visit. Just a 'friendly heads up' here, but this forum is already half-dead thanks to the excessive moderation - if you make the posting rules any more draconian, I'd be surprised if anyone comes back here at all.
I couldn't agree more, sun shine and flowers have left this place. Only prison guards and inmates remain.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Approved Member

Here's an idea, how about the Dev's release a patch. This might eliminate 47 pages of the " usual suspect " droning on followed by the" teachable moments " regarding manners ,respect for others etc. Better yet sell the franchise to a well funded interested party whose first priority will be to skip BOM. Enough of the slow ,under armed aircraft with a thimbleful of fuel and virtually no ammunition.Flying the same monotonous tactical missions over uninspirng landscape.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=bw_wolverine;395733]Who would you invite into your home? The guy who gushes about your decor and really likes the breed of dog you have and loves your cooking or the guy who continuously tells you that you're doing everything wrong and makes sarcastic remarks about every thing you attempt to do and says I told you so at every possible opportunity?

I wouldn't trust the guy gushing about anything lest he gush all over my wife.
Closed Thread