Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

Post Can anyone help solve this problem

This is my computer's equipment:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Core i5 750
RAM 12 GB
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 2GB
Hardware 1 TB

I got no problems in the other games, even I set the quality to maximum, but what is the problem below? Can anyone help me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 未命名.jpg (724.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-27-2012, 03:33 AM
Approved Member

First of all, welcome to the forums.

If you are a newcomer to the simulator it would be to your own benefit to also read through the FAQ. It's a sticky thread on the main page, it explains various things you might want to know and even offers some workarounds for bugs that are present in the simulator. We expect a lot of those issues to be cleared up with the upcoming patch, but for now it will save you the trouble of finding out and working around the bugs all by yourself.

As for your current issue:

Go into the options and select video.

Click on the "custom" tickbox to get the full range of available options.

There is another tickbox labeled "anti-epilepsy filter" which is on by default due to a legal requirement when you first install the simulator.

Disable the anti-epilepsy filter (unless you suffer from an epilepsy condition of course!) and your graphics should display normally.

I hope it helps, reply here in this thread if you need further assistance

Last edited by Blackdog_kt; 02-27-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Disable the anti-epilepsy filter (unless you suffer from an epilepsy condition of course!) and your graphics should display normally.
So if you suffer from epilepsy this is how your game will look?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

It solved my problem. Thank you very much. But what's the difference between
turning this on or off? I request for high performance.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

The epilepsy filter was a last minute legal requirement: the publisher (Ubisoft) wanted the feature so they wouldn't be in danger of getting sued and they told the developer team to implement it.

The filter results in lower frame rates. It runs some math algorithms over the entire rendered picture on your monitor and tries to smooth out and average differences in light intensity above a certain threshold, because apparently it's the difference between how bright each picture is that can cause an epilepsy seizure and not the brightness alone.

For example, the filter would make the tracers less bright if the surroundings are darker (eg, flying at dusk), which wouldn't be needed if the surroundings were brighter (eg, flying at noon).

On the other hand, if you shoot down an enemy bomber and a part of his wing flies over your canopy, the filter will tone-down the sudden, split-second shadow that will be rendered, again to prevent sudden changes of brightness.

This takes a lot of calculations and that's why you get better performance with the filter disabled.

Now about the strange graphics. The anti-epilepsy filter was coded very hastily right before the release of the first version. There have been many patches that modified the graphics from that point in time forward (both the programming code and also the colours) but the filter stayed the same.

That's why having it enabled results in those strange artifacts: the graphics have changed but the filter is running calculations for the old graphics.

This whole discussion is probably going to be rendered irrelevant soon, because the entire graphics engine is being redone from scratch for the next patch.

In any case, i hope i've explained it well enough