Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

View Poll Results: Server set HUD?
Yes, server set. 18 29.03%
No, I want to decide. 20 32.26%
Not all the windows but some key ones as server set. 14 22.58%
I really don't care either way. 10 16.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Approved Member

No, I only can deactivate the Radar info screen there.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Approved Member

But that is exactly the point. Those of us who want control over the windows obviously interpret that the OP want's the game to completely override the window settings and in fact he specifically mentioned that in his first post. That means that we would not be able to hide the windows anymore. Sadly he only talks about showing windows in his example but hiding them would be the only important feature I believe.

As for the damage window for example Krupi, on page 2 Wolverine gave a great example why you DON'T want a damage window. It's completely unrealistic so why would anyone want that?

I guess it's okay to have the ability, as a server, to enforce certain windows - on the condition of being able to have 3 options. Allow, disallow and user controlled.
This means you could force damage window off, make chat optional and arcade/newbie servers could enforce everything to make sure people could help each other or see their planes status with ease.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Let me break it down for you a bit more Madfish perhaps my first ost wasn't clear enough.

Firstly I voted for some windows server set not all.

The best way around this problem would be for the server to be able to disable/hide them rather than force them on.

I.e. A person joins with all windows open but the server controls the damage window and stops it appearing. Meanwhile another person can connect that has no windows and nothing changes for him.

So really rather than have a server force them on it will just stop them appearing allowing you to customise them still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Approved Member

That's the way i understood it and the reason i voted for a server setting: the server doesn't force anything on (player can still manually disable it), it only forces something off.

Ideally, it even won't mess up your carefully configured interface (ie, logging off from the server will have you looking at your personal interface with no need to set it up again from scratch).

I bet it wouldn't be that hard to do either, because the information presented on those windows is separated into individual data streams.

The server doesn't need to know anything about how your windows are configured if it can simply over-ride and disable a specific data stream, then it will be disabled for all players regardless of how they set up their on-screen interface.

If for example it is set to over-ride the "secondary controls" (the blue text about flaps/gear/etc) information, then nothing will happen to your windows, they will just be blank because it's sending no data. So, no matter if i have my "secondary controls" information on a window all by its own on the right-hand side of the screen (like the default setting is) or merged into a window with other information, it will make no difference to the server at all. Think of it like "muting" on a radio: your radio is receiving fine at the same time as everyone else's radios of different brands and configurations, it's just not playing anything back.

The difference here is that we can potentially mute specific messages, so that for example if i have a text window for chat-bar, damage reports and server console, the server could mute my damage reports and i still get chat and console messages on my window without changing anything, then when i log off my damage reports are back