Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Approved Member

Default New Custom Mission for Online Play: Strategic Bombing Mission

Hey guys,

As my arcade group and I just kicked off our Invasion of Sicily series, I wanted to share with you a brand new custom mission I developed in case others might want to give it a try themselves. It's not nearly as elaborate as the two I made for my Stalingrad series, but we had fun with it last night, lol! Below you will find all the information you'll need to set up the mission including some minor tweaks I have already incorporated to make the mission a little better. Though we had 16 for last nights run, the setup will be for 11 which is usually our typical turnout.

Strategic Bombing Mission
For our purposes last night, we were recreating one of many B-17 raids on the Gerbini airfield complex during pre-Husky operations.

Date: July 4th
Year: 1943
Time: Morning
Mission: Strike
Weather: Hazy
Time Limit: 30 minutes
Note: Limited ammo is recommended for this mission.

Axis - Regia Aeronautica (Team A):
5 M.C. 202s

Allies (Team B):
2 B-17s
4 Spitfires

Note: The Allied side should always outnumber the Axis side by either 1 or 2 aircraft for this mission.

Objective:
- At least half (rounding down) or more B-17s must make their way to Gerbini airfield; bomb it and return to friendly airspace without being shot down.

Mission Rules:
- Friendly airspace is considered anywhere beyond an imaginary line that extends out along the closest friendly target. For this mission, that will be the battleship sitting offshore. If looking at the map, the imaginary line will run north and south of the bow of the battleship.

- Any number of Spitfires can be exchanged for B-17s, though keep in mind that the more B-17s used the objective will increase, since half (rounding down) of the B-17s used must make the round trip.

- Bombers are free to take any route necessary to and from Gerbini.

- As long as the objective is met, it does not matter who or how many times a person makes the round trip.

- No intentional ramming is allowed.

Note: I have another Strategic Bombing mission coming up using the second Sicily Strike map where the Allied team will be allowed secretly to select between bombing Gerbini or Catania as they are about the same distance from the spawn point. If this map is used instead of the coastal one, the Allied side needs to select Team A. Also, once they commit to one of the airfields they all must bomb it for the remainder of the game.

Gerbini Airfield:
For those who might not know where this airfield is as it's hidden on the map, here's how to get there. If you find the town of Catania on your map, you will see a thick dark line that runs from there to the western side of the map. Whatever this line represents is not generated in-game, so you'll need to follow it via the map. That line will take you straight to the town of Gerbini with the airfield situated a little southeast of the town itself.

Last edited by RuffMonk; 09-21-2011 at 06:51 PM.