Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Approved Member

Comedy of errors

Defiant with fairings lowered:

Defiant with fairings raised:
Old 07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for pointing this out Freycinet,I had'nt realised the fairings could be raised or lowered,you learn something everyday and I had'nt realised this before.

I just thought we had two distinctly different aircraft here,those fairings completely change the profile of the Defiant,top stuff mate I appreciate the reply to my thread.

Alienware Aurora|Win 7 64-bit Home Premium|IC i7-920 Processor (Quad-Core)|14GB DDR3 RAM|1 TB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive|GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE 3 X fan|Thrustmaster Warthog|Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals,throttle quadrant and Cessna trim wheel|TrackIR4|Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM
BigPickle

what about the end of the fuselage right before the tail, all the photo's show a regular even decent towards the tail, the one in game just drops down lower before the tail. what is the reason for this?
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

I've noticed that too, but I think it's related with a specific angle of view.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 PM
BigPickle

nah no chance its a definate change in shape rather than an optical effect.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Approved Member

Notice the fairings are in the up position. In the down position there would be a definite change in the slope.

A better drawing, http://aircraftdrawingsdownload.com/files/defiant.pdf
Old 07-15-2011, 01:44 PM
BigPickle

No I'm talking about the rear of the fuselage by the tail it appears that it is a difference between a Defiant I and Defiant II, the II has the regular sloping fuselage.

Last edited by BigPickle; 07-15-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Yeah,the model we have in COD has both fairings in the lowered position,I understand this now,I do hope that they make the Defiant flyable,and that if they do,they incorporate the lowering and rising of the fairings within the controls.

I can't believe I thought that there were different models,I just assumed that there was two diffrent aircraft marks,lol.

My sincere apologies to Luthier and team,how could I doubt you,you're aircraft are spot on.

Alienware Aurora|Win 7 64-bit Home Premium|IC i7-920 Processor (Quad-Core)|14GB DDR3 RAM|1 TB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive|GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE 3 X fan|Thrustmaster Warthog|Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals,throttle quadrant and Cessna trim wheel|TrackIR4|Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy!

Last edited by Plt Off JRB Meaker; 07-16-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Approved Member

They could perhaps implement the fairings as air-breaks: Up is off, down is on. One of the problems of the Daffy (and Skua) was that lowering the fairings for action would severely hit speed. Being slightly oldish, they would have problems keeping up with "modern" designs like the He 111 and Ju 88 as it was, lowering the fairings would really give them problems.

I really hope they make it flyable!

Visit No 79 Squadron vRAF

Petter Bøckman
Norway
Old 07-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Approved Member

On further reading of my book'Boulton Paul Defiant by Mark Ansell,the fairings were incorporated,so that the air flow was'nt interupted through the rudder.

Apparantly they had major problems aerodynamically as soon as the turret was fitted.