Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Assault Squad

Men of War: Assault Squad Sequel to the critically acclaimed real-time tactics game Men of War

Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

I like your attitude. I also focus on fun rather than on winning. That’s why I like playing random games and I can’t be bothered with ranked games.

What I mean about Nashorn is that Nashorn is very fragile TD; it doesn’t take much to kill it. And you should know by now that by shooting at haystacks or trees you can exceed the max range and target fragile but big targets like Nashorn, which are in the general direction of the shot. In AS, it can be done a lot easier due to high velocity and accuracy of guns and increased FoV.

And I focus on the opening, which is let’s say the first 10 seconds of the game. I am simply stating a fact that MoW gives you a lot more choices. It doesn't make AS a worse game, just different, btw. I don't mind infantry combat in the opening.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Approved Member

The Nashorn is very fragile, so you keep it out of the way.

What would you get in MoW instead of infantry to open?

And does this mean you've actually bought Assault Squad?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Approved Member

Yes, I own a copy of AS. But I must say, because of so many crashes it still feels like beta to me. Today I hosted 3 games, one crashed.

Have you played MoW enough to get to know it? If you have, you should see how others like to open their games. If you haven't, play some games with 1000+ games guys. And you should see that infantry is very often not the choice.

Last edited by CzaD; 05-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Smile

i have played AS alot more now it is a really good game
i do like both tho
there are less heavy tank spawn now which is better
more inf based combat
Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzaD View Post
Yes, I own a copy of AS. But I must say, because of so many crashes it still feels like beta to me. Today I hosted 3 games, one crashed.

Have you played MoW enough to get to know it? If you have, you should see how others like to open their games. If you haven't, play some games with 1000+ games guys. And you should see that infantry is very often not the choice.
I have played several games in both. I don't see how the choices are different. You can still take the risk of a non-infantry opener in AS, but you take the risk of losing a lot more than you gain.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Approved Member

You really need to play MoW some more. In both games, you can open the game with anything, even with KT if you like. But the most important thing here is TIMING. You don't want to be delayed for too long coz you are giving free points to your enemy. I am looking at the first 5 second of the game. In MoW I can buy T34 in the fist second of the game and attempt to deny the enemy middle ground till my infantry arrives. You don't have this option in AS, and many others like Jeep towing AT-gun, Royal Marines, T70, ZSU-37, BA-11, T-26.

Only Japan in AS can open with a cheap tank straight away and this is my fav opening for Japs. I rush the tank to the middle flag, take one crew member out and hide him in the bush on hold fire to provide LoS for my tank that waits with HE shells loaded in the anticipation for the first wave of enemy infantry. After buying the tank I buy single SMGs and MGs to take the flag and prepare the defenses.

Unlike in AS, this opening tactics are not fraction specific in MoW. I can choose to open like thatwith any fraction in MoW. It is up to the MoW players which tactics they want to go for in the opening because they are less restricted by the game design. So you will see many different openings in the MoW depending on the map and that makes the game interesting and less predictable.

As to the heavy tank spam, well, I play 350 no refund most of the times. Banking for KingTiger is not the best strategy but I saw some KTs in games like that too. It largely depends on the size of the map and number of players. Having said that I killed lots of TKs too and it can be done more easily in MoW than in AS for many reasons:

- AS has got increased field of view which prevents many flanking maneuvers with tanks and surprise infantry assaults;
- the AS KT is harder to kill from the side; many penetrations result in crew injury only;
- the AS KT is still operational with hull and turret damaged and denies the area in front of him;
- the AS artillery is very unlikely to be able to suppress it or immobilize it.
- some AS fractions lack heavy tanks that would counter KT: like Turtle or T-29.

Last edited by CzaD; 05-16-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Approved Member

I don't think I have to play MoW any more than I already have. When I did play it I had success opening with armour, but much more with infantry. I makes more sense as an opener, against an opponent with any skill unsupported armour will not pay for itself.

I don't get your problem with the increased visibility in AS. If you hide things, they are difficult to spot. If you race a tank across an open field it isn't. This makes sense. It is still easy to flank but you have to do it properly