Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE77ACTION View Post
The average frame rate dropped from 32 to 29 which is a decrease of about 9.5% while I decreased the CPU speed with about 13,5%. ...
I was a bit surprised to see the difference mine produced at a higher speed, the feeling in the game is not nearly as apparent as the result would suggest. Although a 7.3% increase in average frame rate is not huge, especially for a ~17% increase in cpu speed, it could be beneficial if frame rates were marginal to start with. Another benefit of the cpu’s that you are considering is the fact that they have unlocked multipliers, which is handy when overclocking. I don’t really use this feature since it negates using Cool’n’Quiet – I tend to leave it standard (my RAM won’t run much faster than 533MHz, which it does by default on my mobo, and is faster this way than running at 400MHz and then increasing the ‘FSB’).

An upgrade I intend doing shortly is replacing my gfx card with a 6950 or 6970, which is due, but am going to wait for Bulldozer before deciding on a new cpu/mobo/RAM (currently leaning towards SandyBridge, although I'm an AMD fan). I just hope that some of issues that the game has with these cards are resolved by then, as my current one works flawlessly.

Good luck with your decision

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 | AMD FX-8350 | MSI HD7970 TFOC-BE | 8GB Corsair DDR-III 1866 | Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

Last edited by TonyD; 05-02-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Approved Member

@TonyD and others:

That's exactly what I meant with diminishing returns. Your CPU (although the same operating clock speed) is better because its more efficient while your graphics card is a little less (no offence). It's to be expected that you will get less FPS increase when raising your CPU speed. I expect the difference will get bigger when you upgrade to a 6950 or 6970.

After seeing TUSA/TX-Gunslingers beautiful post in another tread (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22417) I saw that his GPU (5870) peaks often at 100% for longer periods while mine peaks at about 71% for only very short periods. If I can lift this percentage to 100%, this would mean at least a 40% increase in performance which would be clearly noticeable in a heavy game like this. Besides, I can use the power for other things too (like heavy multilayer Photoshopping). So, I've enough excuses . However I will probably first await the next patch.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Approved Member

In the meantime I've replaced my AMD Atlon II X4 640 CPU for a Phenom II X6 1100T. The cost of these CPU's have come down greatly where I live. Maybe it is because everybody is waiting on arrival of the Bulldozer. I suspect the prices will rise again somewhat when people see that these Bulldozer CPU's won't be cheap. I thought it would be nice to give some comments on my new CPU.

Even at default clock speed of the 1100T, the game performed better than with my old overclocked processor. But I didn't buy this CPU to run it at default clock speeds. At this moment I have it stable running at 3,76 GHz. If I want to go higher (and I want), I have to replace my Zalman CPU fan (which is more silent than overclocking oriented).

Since the upgrade of my CPU I've benchmarked the Black Death track at 41 FPS on average (was 32) with the same settings, game version and same measuring method as before. This is a performance increase of 28% and it's very noticeable. The frame rate improved the most at the heaviest part of the track (where the planes on the ground are blown away by the explosions). With my old CPU the frame rate would drop here for a short moment to 8 or 9 FPS. With my new CPU it drops shortly to 21 or 22 FPS. This is at worst a performance increase of 133% on the heaviest part of the Black Death track. The power counts here where it's needed the most.

At the technical side, the upgrade provided me with a better utilized GPU which will now hit 100% occasionally (was 72% if I'm correct). This shows that a 6970 needs a good CPU to support it. I also noticed that core 1 of my new CPU is now fully utilized which wasn't the case with my old CPU (at least it didn't translate to that in a graph).

All in all I'm very happy with this cost effective upgrade. I really enjoy flying with this machine!

Last edited by RE77ACTION; 05-14-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: more information
Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Approved Member

Great stuff!

Thanks for sharing!
(it seems I will overclock my i7 2.9GHz after all....)

~S~
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
Great stuff!

Thanks for sharing!
(it seems I will overclock my i7 2.9GHz after all....)

~S~
I think that overclocking your CPU could get you even better performance. A SLI setup with cards like yours is very data hungry. Besides, you have a great CPU for overclocking. But of course, its on your own risk...
Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Approved Member

These kinda msgs are actually a bit funny.

This is not 'Angry Birds'. Flight sims are historically known to be the most hardware straining games out there.

And no, this will not run on your iphone either.

I build my gaming rigs specifically for flight sims. Why, because I love them.

For CLOD, Im running a 990x stocked at 3.65ghz, 12GB DDR3 1600 @ CAS 7, Killer Nic (on the mobo), a vertex 3 Sata III SSD, and twin EVGA GTX 590s

With that, and the graphics settings mostly on high.. @ 1920x1080 I can get about 40+ FPS most of the time. And thats on one graphics core.
I havnt seen any improvement setting the affinity mask to 63 yet.. so Im assuming that hasnt been tweaked. Plus I have three more graphics cores waiting for SLI support.

And yes, I built this rig just for the release of this sim. Yeah it was expensive, but new, cheap sandybridge packages should be able to produce pretty good results too.

Bottom line.. these things require power. If you cant feed it, don't complain.

Every new sim pushes hardware.. its supposed to.

The game perfect? No. lots to be done yet.. but Id rather have it out, getting used to the new game... than still be waiting.
I cant believe how bitchy people get. Its not like this is vaporware, or that they don't support their product. They always have and I see this being no different. They work hard and are proud of what they produce, so its only a matter of time till things get ironed out.
The shelf life of this one, Im hoping is going to be another good 10 years. So.. CHILL OUT.
Ive already been very impressed with what Ive seen as improvements over IL2 46. not just the great graphics and lighting but A lot more realism as far as what aircraft CAN do.
(no more attempting to turn and burn in a 109) and so on.

Me. Happy.