Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
I would like to have an AI take over the plane, when a player exists or disconnects. That would be an elegant solution for the immersion factor.
It is default behavior. No script is needed for this, unless you want to get rid of AI (I do). Why? Player leaves, AI takes his plane; player joins, takes new plane; player leaves, AI takes his plane -> ever growing count of AI planes -> lag and mess. Default behavior isn't very suitable for dogfight map.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Approved Member

Pardon my ignorance in all things C# or perhaps for stating something that has already been tried but if you have a script that destroys aircraft can't you use a sleep command to pause execution? e.g.

Thread.Sleep(6000);

I'm not a software developer and get by with most of my server scripts written in 'lowly' bash so I could be completely wrong here with the above command.

A minutes delay to allow the pilot-less plane to crash and burn would be cool though and would clean up the server too.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

At both Repka servers we run a script that first disables AI engine, fuel pump and controls and destroys the aircraft only in 5 minutes when it is already down. Game engine also removes these damaged aircraft from an airfield very quickly if a player exits an aircraft at an airfield before takeoff.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...=21518&page=10

Last edited by Ataros; 05-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, we've tried that. The scripts seem to behave differently on different beta patches. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't work at all. Tried all sorts of delays, but with the patch we are running right now (the most stable for the server) they simply don't work right. Ataros has been building up quite an impressive list of scripts in the MP thread, they just don't seem to work in the build we are using right now.

ATAG Forums + Stats
Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnomad View Post
Pardon my ignorance in all things C# or perhaps for stating something that has already been tried but if you have a script that destroys aircraft can't you use a sleep command to pause execution?
Yes, it was.

1) You make assumption that it will crash. Depending on trim it can fly straight or do loops for a while.

2) Plane can be abandoned not only by disconnecting, but by choosing other plane too. Putting timer on plane on the ground, can lead to situation in which 20 planes are sitting in the base and waiting for removal. And no, checking if it is in the air, does not work correctly now.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
So what? Do you have a problem with that?
Yes, when Jorri keeps mentioning how nice my tush is, I get embarassed. That's sexual harassment man, tell him to stop that crap.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

The RoF system has a lot of benefits, the only thing I dont like about is the server message saying whether or not you killed someone you were shooting at too early, the server should hold back that information till either the plane crashes or disconnects, kills a bit of the immersion, because you do not have to watch the plane going to down to make sure he really is 'down'.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
I would like to have an AI take over the plane, when a player exists or disconnects. That would be an elegant solution for the immersion factor.

I guess in a perfect world, Luthier will provide such a script.
I think this happens by default, that's why the people hosting the servers use the despawn script.

Otherwise i would be able to build a huge aerial armada by spawning, taking-off, exiting back to the menu and spawning again in another aircraft, i could bring any server to its knees that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnasen View Post
WTF? Dead planes don't automatically vanish after a few minutes on the deck?!
They do in single player, not sure about multi. However, if i simply quit in mid-flight (see my answer to the previous quote) my aircraft is taken over by AI and it's one more object for the server to track.

As for why objects would not despawn automatically, i can think of a lot of reasons. In a few months time we might have some kind of online dynamic campaign: get some server logs, parse them to a 3rd party campaign manager tool that analyzes the effect of the player's actions, moves the frontlines and draws up new missions that are automatically loaded into the server without the need to restart the map.

In such a scenario there are many cases where it would be useful to have longer timers for despawning objects (provided our hardware and the servers can take it). Think about flying a pathfinder mosquito at night and marking a target with flares and incendiary bombs for other players. The fire and smoke effects would have to linger on so that the other bombers coming half an hour behind me will be able to see them and use them as an aiming point.

Or you could prevent an AI enemy convoy from leaving a port by spotting a cargo ship favorably positioned on the mouth of the harbor and sinking it there to shut down traffic, which leads to the convoy not delivering supplies to an airbase and the next day the other team's players who spawn there find out that there's not enough fuel for all of them, so they have to take-off with only 25%. Similar for blocking road and rail junctions by attacking trains and vehicles as they pass through it to create a point of congestion through wreckage.

Static aircraft used as markers of available aircraft so that when you spawn you take control of one of those (static plane despawns and gets replaced by player controlled plane, the base's stats change to reflect that inventory is minus one aircraft), if they are destroyed they might linger a while until it's written to the logs that the airbase in question is minus X amount of aircraft, etc, etc.

The possibilities of the new multiplayer system are endless, it seems like it's a sandbox-style type of gameplay. We just need the sim to get through the initial optimization issues and then the developers will be able to work on documentation and the SDK to let us really get to grips with such features
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
Yes, when Jorri keeps mentioning how nice my tush is, I get embarassed. That's sexual harassment man, tell him to stop that crap.
OH man, that's a horrible thing to say! Even homosexuals have standards, you know!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Approved Member

Im sure when we get a stale code for mutiplayer that we will have a resolution to this problem. Yes, obviously it is a problem if people disconnect to avoid a "deathstat". As it stands its more likely that ppl are crashing out, testing, losing connection or any other perfectly reasonable reason for leaving the server as opposed to trying to dodge a deathstat that doesnt even exist yet.

Its a bit early to be accusing people of being "pussies"

Mind you....when the code IS sorted I can assure you that I will be screaming at "disco-queens" worse than Parazaine on crack!