Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE77ACTION View Post
It's my opinion that the stutters don't come from the HDD (maybe there are exceptions). I've tested the game on a HDD (7200) and on 3 very fast SSD's in a RAID 0 array (which is probably bottlenecked by the controller or bus). It's my experience that it makes totally no difference in stuttering. Thereby I have to say that my stutters are mostly mild.

I agree with TUSA/TX-Gunslinger that it has probably something to do with the code of the game. On the moments that you see a short heavy drop in FPS you see a simultaneous (more or less) drop in CPU utilization. Normally CPU utilization should increase when a game has lots to process.
This is interesting. Games that have a lot of stutter often come accompanied by cries to install it to an SSD (which winds me up a bit, frankly lol).

Any graphs or screens that show this effect in action? Obviously you can't show us the stutters, but a CPU monitor shot showing these dropouts could go a long way in helping the devs (or us!) solve the stutter problem?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Approved Member

ATITrayTools - found under the Hardware Tab. You can set it to monitor all sorts of things from your AMD/ATI GPU ......... I love the flexiblity of the graphs. As you can see by my examples - you can control X axis (time) and Y axis (measurement value) independently - which allows you see all sorts of interactions.

Anyway, here's a link to guru3d http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Oh yes, another benie.... it's free

S!

Gunny
Warthog and U2Nxt Cougar under t.a.r.g.e.t
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Approved Member

Hi all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSA/TX-Gunslinger View Post
ATITrayTools - found under the Hardware Tab. You can set it to monitor all sorts of things from your AMD/ATI GPU ......... I love the flexiblity of the graphs. As you can see by my examples - you can control X axis (time) and Y axis (measurement value) independently - which allows you see all sorts of interactions.

Anyway, here's a link to guru3d http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Oh yes, another benie.... it's free

S!

Gunny
Thanks for info!

Leo "Apollo11"
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Approved Member

Outstanding work Gunny.
This thread makes for most interesting reading.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
This is interesting. Games that have a lot of stutter often come accompanied by cries to install it to an SSD (which winds me up a bit, frankly lol).

Any graphs or screens that show this effect in action? Obviously you can't show us the stutters, but a CPU monitor shot showing these dropouts could go a long way in helping the devs (or us!) solve the stutter problem?
I'm not saying you'll get any better frame rates or reduce stuttering in any particular sim, but I doubt I would ever make another PC for myself without a SSD. (until something faster comes out of course )

For me it's worth the extra $150 for the faster system startup and game load times. And I'm not even part of the 'Now' generation. Lifes to short to be waiting around for your PC to start.

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Approved Member

If the cpu stops to wait on something(thus causing stutter) would it be better to under clock the cpu?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

My CPU fan goes mental when im playing this game with the newest beta patch...as soon as i pause game or exit you can hear it start to spin down..
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll2k View Post
If the cpu stops to wait on something(thus causing stutter) would it be better to under clock the cpu?
Lower clock speeds gave me much worse performance. See last post on page 5 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...t=22155&page=5).