Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Approved Member

Default Will the Il2 engine be a real alternative for civillian Flight Sims?

Since getting the sim I've been having fun beetling around cross country in the Tiger Moth and I've been having a blast.

Over the years I've played various forms of MS flight sim (haven't tried Flight Sim X yet) but have never got into it from an immersion point of view.

On my system I've got most things on medium except trees and building numbers which are on low and give me acceptable frame rates. Although this may be non realistic for 1940's England, the sparsely wooded landscape is fairly typical of country side where I live (too green but thats neither near nor there) and matches up to what I remember from my private pilots training.

The details in Cliffs of Dover especially low down in when taking off and landing gives a lot more visual clues which helps judging height and speed when flying close to the ground.

I find it very immersive. So far I haven't been tempted in getting into a dog fight mission because there is so much being offed by the flying aspect of the game itself.

I've really been tempted to go down to the local airport and do an hour or so flight in the Tiger Moth they've got down there!

I wonder once the engine matures if it was taken up third parties it would be a threat to the other civian flight sims.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 04-02-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Since getting the sim I've been having fun beetling around cross country in the Tiger Moth and I've been having a blast.

Over the years I've played various forms of MS flight sim (haven't tried Flight Sim X yet) but have never got into it from an immersion point of view.

On my system I've got most things on medium except trees and building numbers which are on low and give me acceptable frame rates. Although this may be non realistic for 1940's England, the sparsely wooded landscape is fairly typical of country side where I live (too green but thats neither near nor there) and matches up to what I remember from my private pilots training.

The details in Cliffs of Dover especially low down in when taking off and landing gives a lot more visual clues which helps judging height and speed when flying close to the ground.

I find it very immersive. So far I haven't been tempted in getting into a dog fight mission because there is so much being offed by the flying aspect of the game itself.

I wonder if engine was taken up third parties it would be a treat to the other civian flight sims.

Cheers!
I think the issue is still to be determined, but since Cliffs of Dover is at it's heart a Combat Flight Simulator I don't think it will be a go to for Civilian Flight Simulator. It would be pretty interesting if 3rd parties did start to implement civilian aircraft, but ultimately I think the time required to create the maps by hand as opposed to typical civilian flight sim technique of just using satellite photos of maps will be a determining factor in that regard. I would love to see it span several genres both of flight sims and of combat games, but I am not sure that both are feasible.

tl;dr I would hope, but I doubt it will.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Approved Member

It's such a shame the Su-26 didn't make it into the retail release. I was really looking forward to it.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Approved Member

Hopefully adding civvy planes (vintage types especially) will be something third party companies can do. I'd happily take a Dragon Rapide from Croydon to Dover, or a HP-42 across the water to France.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Approved Member

I've been doing the same thing and having a blast myself. I find it almost meditative putting around the countryside in that Tiger Moth, like taking a long solo motorcycle ride with no traffic. A nice bonus of using this engine for a civilian flight sim would be the damage model. So many things can go wrong and for the most part, damage is incorporated and depicted very well in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Approved Member

No.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Approved Member

Some months ago I was wondering about this. Someone (Oleg, I think) talked about the "thriving ecosystem" of 3rd party addons sustained by FS2004/X. It would be interesting if 3rd parties started developing maps, airports, aeroplanes for CloD. Just Flight publish small airfields for £7 or £8 each, and I might be willing to pay for a photo-realistic Biggin or Hawkinge... (In fact I might fork out 50p for St Paul's cathedral. Grrr....) Also, we know that the sim can accomodate flight up to the edge atmosphere itself. Il2 Space Shuttle, anyone?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Approved Member

How would you guys that played MSFS (I played it very little) compare CEM of this game with latest/best FS?