Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Approved Member

Would it be illegal if someone copied the European/Steam edition to one of the torrent sites and we download it from there? When you install it on your computer you could activate it through Steam and pay that way. Just a thought. Could spare us 3 weeks of waiting. I'm not talking piracy here. I can barely see the logic of a staggered box release. A staggered digital release throws me really for a loop. I hope for 1C's sake that the program does not get cracked before release in the Americas.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

If they are really going to delay the US release a month, I hope the game gets cracked and that they lose a lot of sales. Then maybe they'll learn not to do such stupid things in the future.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Approved Member

Digital distribution is FINE so long as they make it FAIR for everyone. Why make us wait an extra month when everyone else has it early, its DIGITAL there is no need to add this delay for artificial reasons, it only makes people want to torrent it and play it whilst they wait, but there's always the risk they will just not pay for it when its available to them? Why take the risk..make it available to ALL who want to purchase. Are you listening UBISOFT???
Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC208 View Post
Would it be illegal if someone copied the European/Steam edition to one of the torrent sites and we download it from there? When you install it on your computer you could activate it through Steam and pay that way. Just a thought. Could spare us 3 weeks of waiting. .
Steamwork might prevent what you suggest
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC208 View Post
Would it be illegal if someone copied the European/Steam edition to one of the torrent sites and we download it from there? When you install it on your computer you could activate it through Steam and pay that way. Just a thought. Could spare us 3 weeks of waiting. I'm not talking piracy here. I can barely see the logic of a staggered box release. A staggered digital release throws me really for a loop. I hope for 1C's sake that the program does not get cracked before release in the Americas.
I know what you mean, exchanging the game files that won't work without a valid key anyway, then using a legitimate key that you paid for to unlock the game. It's not piracy because it won't work for free, it's just like having someone send you a copy from Europe. However, i doubt it would work.

Steam versions are region locked anyway. The boxed versions will use Solidshield DRM instead of steam protection, but nobody knows if that's region locked as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
If they are really going to delay the US release a month, I hope the game gets cracked and that they lose a lot of sales. Then maybe they'll learn not to do such stupid things in the future.
Maybe you should dig a bit deeper here. We do know that boxed editions will take some time to ship, but download editions should be available easily. This leads me to believe there's only two reasonable scenarios why this delay happens.

1) An outside influence. The game needs to be reviewed by the ESRB and get a rating assigned to it before it can be distributed. How long this takes is anyone's guess.
2) An inside deal between different retailers/publishers. The digital download platforms have a deal or contract term with the ones selling boxed editions, they'll delay the release until the physical boxes arrive so that digital download platforms don't hog all the preorders and early sales.

In both cases, you should be pointing your finger at someone over your side of the pond and not the developers.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
In both cases, you should be pointing your finger at someone over your side of the pond and not the developers.
I am not blaming the developers, but whoever is responsible for the decision to not release all over the world at the same time. If there is a delay, because of the need to get an ESRB rating or whatever, then they should delay the release everywhere. Having different release dates is a really bad idea. And if the difference is almost a month, that's a REALLY bad idea. That's like inviting people to pirate the game.

I think that many people in the US are not just going to go a month of reading about how we here in Europe are enjoying the game without getting to play it themselves, not when there is certainly going to be cracked versions around that they can download.

Last edited by Razor; 03-24-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Approved Member

Im sorry I feel for you guys, However welcome to the british gamers way of life. MOST games are released here after the states, and some even cancel the uk release altogether. (Nascar 2011 for example, Yes its a console game, my guilty secret ) Yes it is frustracting, trust me ive been there many many times.

I do agree that all games should be released at the same time, in this day and age, and you're right it is being distributed via digital then why the hold up it dosn't make sense.

Threating to pirate the sim however only harms you in the long run, as by not supporting the developers will only have one effect, the series being cancelled.

Its sad that you guys have been shafted twice, once with the collectors edition and now this, Any chance someone official can come and explain the decision or reasoning behind this.

Where we live in the world shouldn't make a difference. WE are all Simmers, so we all deserve the same level of service.

Cowboy10uk
Old 03-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I am not blaming the developers, but whoever is responsible for the decision to not release all over the world at the same time. If there is a delay, because of the need to get an ESRB rating or whatever, then they should delay the release everywhere. Having different release dates is a really bad idea. And if the difference is almost a month, that's a REALLY bad idea. That's like inviting people to pirate the game.

I think that many people in the US are not just going to go a month of reading about how we here in Europe are enjoying the game without getting to play it themselves, not when there is certainly going to be cracked versions around that they can download.
Ah i see what you mean. Yes, staggered releases are indeed a recipe for increased piracy. It might start innocent for many "ah, let's try this game, i'm going to buy it anyway when it's released here", but then they settle for their illegal copy and never get round to buying a legitimate one.
On the other hand, i don't expect the majority of the real fans to settle for a pirated copy even if they download one.

At least that's what i would do if my region's release was delayed, i could be tempted to try an illegal version to try out and get a feel for the game, but i'd still buy a legitimate copy as soon as possible, first of all to support the developers and second, i like collecting boxes of games i really like. But in any case, you are correct that a certain number of people would not upgrade to a legitimate, bought copy.

On the other hand the developing studio is strapped for cash, so maybe they really needed an injection to keep going and that's why they decided to distribute on each region as soon as they can. Maybe it's a "lesser of two evils" kind of thing.