Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Approved Member

Default Unwritten rules

We have tons of stickys in here about lots of stuff going back a long time. Can we have one for new players (and old!) about how best to play the game. I am sure Shadow or another player listed these but I think given the influx of new players it's worth posting again

If your plane is shot and unresponsive in realistic mode please bail out. Press start and select bail. This gives the kill to the guy who killed your planes controls

In CTA it's generally gentelmans agreement you use bombs and/or rockets. Bombs in particular can ruin a good game

Naming yourself Adolf<something> generally attracts lots of Spitfires, Hurricanes and P51s.

Flying an I153 in arcade is like getting an air gun out at school. Flying an I153 in realistic is like putting stabilisers on your mountain bike

When "randomising" teams remember first in list is team A, second is team B. iE it's not random, so in strike make sure the B17s are organised properly
Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Approved Member

good idea dk, cheers to you! and to all who comment PLEASE reference it as XBOX or PS3. because as i understand certain things are different enough to cause...shall we say confusion. i will leave the hints or tips from this point up to the real aces...
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Approved Member

Top one DK.

Think you need to edit the bombs in cta to say 'don't use' them in cta's mate though!!

Don't take IL's (save for perhaps the 2) into dogfights and team battles. God-canoned, pig iron, bullet absorbing, zombie rear-gunnered flying T-34's spoil it for every other player. Same goes for the flying gun battery that is the B17.

In strike when your out of bombs don't use your plane as a battering ram to try and get that extra 10pts off. Bail and get a new bomber.

Don't constantly flash your green tick on and off in the lobby. The host will normally start once there are enough players in the lobby and when everyone else has 'greened up'. Rest assured the more players the better the game.
Constant flashing just shows immaturity and makes you target number1

Agree with DK in that certain usernames mean you will most certainly become target number 1 for everyone else if you are really that dense as to name yourself that.

If in doubt of anything, either ask or message the lobby host.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Approved Member

Good thread DK.

I'd suggest to value a life higher than the game's counting system does. We've implemented that into the Purist Club and also the tournament, where who dies less wins. If this is accepted it really doesn't matter whether or not a crash counts as a kill or not, if the opponent is going down you score. Therefore also no need for anyone to bail.

Another thing I'd suggest is not to kamikaze into other players in CTA. Also, once an airfield has been taken, one should not sit around on the ground making it impossible for the opponents to retake that field. Take an airfield and take off.

MAC

Last edited by MACADEMIC; 03-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwookie View Post
Naming yourself Adolf<something> generally attracts lots of Spitfires, Hurricanes and P51s.
What if it's Adolf Galland? On second thoughts, he did get shot down a few times...

And I totally agree with MAC, deaths are what counts. Sometimes I like to fly until the bitter end, rather than just bailing out. And scoring by deaths takes into account manoeuvre kills, and silly mistakes like getting overly friendly with trees or cooking my engine!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

Never deliberately ram whether in CTA or any other game mode, just because you can't kill them. In CTA this makes you seem very immature. In Strike it can be understandable against B-17s but do try to avoid them.

Never just choose your team to go with a B-17 as it is immature and results in 3 players vs about 10.

Try not to launch games when it would produce unbalanced teams as it will generally be in your favour and you are cheating to try and get wins, unlocks etc.

And not really a rule but: DON'T dive straight away in STrike as there will probably be someone below you, you'll both crash and will really annoy each other.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=dkwookie;235088]
Flying an I153 in arcade is like getting an air gun out at school. Flying an I153 in realistic is like putting stabilisers on your mountain bike

haha !!lol!!too funny!!
and agree with u my friend!i remenber when i used this nice little mosquito,in fact i flown in a human plane with an alien technology!!lol!...an ufo!!(joke)

see u ace
olife
Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Approved Member

am i to take it that you guys on ps3 dont use bombs or rockets while playing cta? its strafe and strafe only??
Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Approved Member

I only use guns bobby but rockets are used by some players. Bombs are a big no no though. They make cta more or less unwinable with experienced players on both sides
Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Approved Member

good post dkwookie!

Time ago i've wrote a bunch of "common sense" rule too, it might be usefull to add the link at this thread too i think: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=17222

P.S.
Couple oh thought about I153 (because u mentioned in your first post) and I16... hope not to be off topic here... a lot of people, specially new players, tends to think that those plane are the most easy to fly and strongest of the whole game, probably because they judge a fighter combat potential just by its turning speed/radius. Having this idea, reveal that those players probably think about a dogfight in a 2 dimensional way only, not taking in consideration that you might need to climb fast sometimes.

I personally think that flying those plane is not easy at all, and quite challenging, their turning ability it's the only good things on them ( in my opinion ), climbing speed ratio is very low and most of the time you have to fly close at stall speed into that. Their survivability is low, and the engine sometimes blew up or turn off on negative G. I never had much kills into those, i fly simulator only, but i admit they are very funny and challenging to fly, specially in cockpit view. Key to win against those is not to get stuck in a turn fight, and it's a pretty easy things to achieve that while flyng a faster plane than I16 I153 series. The I153 is even slower than I16.... i would never take off into one of that, feeling like to be in a "flying potato", like a friend french ace would say...

Last edited by vdomini; 03-17-2011 at 11:22 PM.