Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Approved Member

To do as the topic title says, the game would have to ship with more than one version of each mission for the campaign, since it's going to be a static one. Effectively that means:

1) they will need to do multiple copies of the same mission for all missions in the campaigns and
2) even if they do, it's not going to be possible to scale up incrementally unless they provide a mission with 21 bombers, the same mission with 22, the same mission with 23 and so on...

That is, since the missions will not be dynamic, don't expect a slider in the options that you can drag to globally change the bomber formation size one aircraft at a time. If they did something like that, it would probably be a case of having 2-3 settings with fixed parameters. Something like "light/medium/heavy aircraft density", which would then "call" the relevant version of the campaign missions. This means that even so, you could be stuck on low because the medium setting might be 3-5 bombers too much for your PC.

The easiest way to do it on a customized basis and be able to scale it according to your own PC is to open up the FMB yourself and increase the amount of bombers manually, then save the mission.

According to some previous feedback on the FMB it's now possible to set a higher amount of aircraft per flight than the four we had in IL2, so it's not going to be much work.
Whereas in IL2 you'd have to create additional flights of 4 bombers each and carefully set them up to fly in formation with the existing ones without colliding with each other, in CoD it might be as simple as opening the properties for the existing formations and simply changing the numbers to a higher value. So, if we have two formations of 10 bombers on a certain mission, we could just set each of them to 30 bombers for a total of 60, save the mission and do the same for the next one, very fast and efficient compared to the old FMB.

It's so simple that i expect a modified version of the stock campaign with higher numbers of AI aircraft for high end systems will be one of the first community projects, being done very short after release and circulating on the relevant websites, like mission4today for example.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Approved Member

Somehow I believe we will have this option from the start, if we are to read between the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
With later patches and mods, yes. On release however, the standard bomber formation size was 24, both for BoB and other campaigns.

I wouldn't rely on mods in CoD.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 02-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
Why?

There will an official and freely available dev kit, a system for approving the accuracy and quality of mods to be used in "Maddox certified" online servers, etc, etc.

The modding community should be even stronger for CoD than it is for Il2 now
Old 02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Approved Member

I would certainly appreciate scalability for both higher end and lower end users. It's nice to be able to fly a campaign that has say... 1 flight contains max 4 planes for a slow computer, and perhaps 1 flight contains around 12 planes for a high end computer...

Otherwise people will have to fly quickmissions and set number of planes to what their CPU can handle. I think many people will decide upon wether to buy a new computer after they have tried it out a bit, to see if it's worth the PC upgrade
Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
Nope, not really; of course unlike with EAW (which I was referring to), it will be easier to increase the number of planes in a mission (there was no mission editor in EAW after all). How much CoD will be open to "official" 3rd party work is something we'll have to see, but the mission editor is a given