Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Approved Member

If I correctly understand what Oleg and Luthier have said regarding Modding/3rd Party development, there will be third party tools freely available at some point after launch, allowing people to make and import to the sim items such as aircraft, ships, vehicles (drivable or not), ground objects and of course maps (albeit with a size restriction).

So, if you have the time and skill to build something, you will be able to put it into the sim, test it, and if you wish make it available to download. I have no idea how the system works if you want to sell your work, but that should be covered in the license agreement for the dev kit.

Online servers will however have an option to allow all mods/3rd party work, or to allow only those submitted to 1c for quality and accuracy checks. Presumably there will also be a compatibility system where the host of a server can specify which mods are needed to join a server, and when someone joins they will have their mods automatically enabled or disabled to suit the server.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

It has been shown on countless occasions that people can not be trusted - mods create anarchy in MP. They are great or even amazing for offline games (e.g. Silent Hunter series) but have no place in MP like IL2. Even modpacks force people to have the same content and download stuff they don't want in the first place which on the long run turns into unwanted hassle or as someone put it "a part time job".

Days when you could pop into any server, pick any plane and just take off in IL2 are long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post

Online servers will however have an option to allow all mods/3rd party work, or to allow only those submitted to 1c for quality and accuracy checks. Presumably there will also be a compatibility system where the host of a server can specify which mods are needed to join a server, and when someone joins they will have their mods automatically enabled or disabled to suit the server.
That is how I understood it as well. Servers will have an option either to lock out the added planes, ships, vehicles etc. and only allow stock/approved content which is great. Not sure about the freely available tools though. I am interested in seeing when they release them - two weeks, months or years after the release.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories

Last edited by T}{OR; 02-02-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Approved Member

and to ad about the SDK tools, at least as Oleg said in the past, these 3.Party aircraft can only included in the game with a limited FM (and perhaps DM) calculation.
So, full FM calculation is still in the hands of 1C - and if a 3.paty aircraft will be added to the 'closed' game (means switch "no mods" enabled!) it will get the full FM.

a pure guess from me is that 1C will sell a licence for 3.party developerd like accusim ( http://www.a2asimulations.com/accusim.html ) , that they can make adons with full FM and mapsize and are able to sell their work. If this content than would be mods "on" or "off"..... good question.
At least Oleg said in the past that he would like to see that 3.Party developers, that are working for M$ Simulators for example , would also work, even swtich , to his CoD engine

time will tell !!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
My faith in human beings is not that high, and I am not naïve either (not always) but maybe I did not express myself clearly: I wanted to say that I guy able and willing to undertake such a development, will do it right and due to the complexity and the time it will take, such people will not be many, but there will be some.

Oleg already stated he wanted to create an environment a la FSX, and some of the absolute best FSX models are from amateur origin.

I know for a fact from the various domains I know well enough especially related to aviation that here is absolutely no difference in terms of best quality between amateur and pro, except the time it takes for completion.

It can even (as a matter of fact, often) be an advantage as the amateur is not constrained by trivial matters like being paid for his modelling work for a living for instance, and so can look into levels of detail/documentation/whatever no pro will ever has the time to spare for...

Oleg's team is a good example: there are tons of documentation they could never have been able to collect/find if some amateurs had not done it for them; another example are the skins delivered with the game, which are good enough, but not spectacularly so...No time!

So I would not belittle what an amateur can do compared to a pro, because that would not be justified. On this point I have faith!

And do not forget that for general inclusion, any work will have to go across Oleg's team scrutiny...so no worries there!

JV
Ok i see your point and i agree that amateurs can make planes to the same quality - or sometimes even better - than professional developers. Altought FM and plane performance has always been a debated issue that many disagree upon.

Anyway, when CoD comes out it will only have a dozen of flyables, it will maybe take time for people to understand the dynamics behind the creation of a new plane model, FM and DM, but after that you will have people working to implement in the game new plane starting from the most popular ones (FW190, late 109, p51, p47 etc...); mind you, these people will work only part time but i'm sure they'll outnumber oleg's team (small teams focusing on 1 aircraft at a time) and many planes will be ready before they can be included in expansions. Add to that small online maps and objects to recreate various theatres... Now the only people who are gonna be interested in future expansion will be those into single player and historical campaigns (ops! if those haven't been created yet..)

I mean isn't Oleg creating it's own competition in this way? However if that means we users are going to benefit from this competition between modders and developers, that might actually be a good thing time will tell i guess
Old 02-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

Oleg's teams should probably announce tentative lists of prohibited or discouraged mod subjects (so as to prevent modders getting there first).
Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
Oleg's teams should probably announce tentative lists of prohibited or discouraged mod subjects (so as to prevent modders getting there first).
That is already done.

Any and all discussion of mods relating to Il2 is prohibited on this forums.

Since there has been some comments by the developer about community modifications applied to BOB COD this thread has survived.

Already several postings have been deleted that point to IL2. That cannot be the case in this thread. There is only one authorized developer of IL2 mods TD.

The content of this thread may have worthy commentary relating only to COD. Crossing the line will get the thread deleted.