Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Thank F for TV catchup app on my phone, perfect timing just for lunchtime!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Approved Member

I am heading into office so think I will get it streaming while I work
Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

Default Battle Of Britain

On film4 +1 in 5 minutes. Anyone off work switch bargain hunt off right now
Old 01-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Caught this again the other day, great film, and one of those movies that's aged really well - improved with time, if anything, due to the number of *real* aircraft involved and, of course, the stellar cast - Olivier as Dowding in particular hitting just the right note.

Can't think of any other film that comes close, certainly nothing made recently, although Memphis Belle is pretty good. CGI just can't compare with the genuine article.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Approved Member

I'd look up Dark Blue World- 2004 film about 2 Czech pilots flying with the RAF. It uses footage from 'Battle of Britain' but it a pretty good modern take.
That said the opening bars of Ron Goodwins theme tune to BoB still make me grin like a Cheshire cat!!!........ Repeat please....
Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
I'd look up Dark Blue World- 2004 film about 2 Czech pilots flying with the RAF. It uses footage from 'Battle of Britain' but it a pretty good modern take.
That said the opening bars of Ron Goodwins theme tune to BoB still make me grin like a Cheshire cat!!!........ Repeat please....
I would have to recommend dark blue world as well, just got it for christmas. I don't think it is in print anymore so if you are interested in getting a copy amazon had a bunch new in package last time i checked. Love BoB as well and I think it will remain a classic for flight enthusiasts for a long time to come because all the more modern films are relying on heavy use of cgi and the flight scenes look terribly unrealistic despite the detailed "eye candy" visuals they produce. The Blue Max would be another good one. Most of the flying is real and they even reproduced some of the german aircraft specifically for the film.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prang View Post
Caught this again the other day, great film, and one of those movies that's aged really well - improved with time, if anything, due to the number of *real* aircraft involved and, of course, the stellar cast - Olivier as Dowding in particular hitting just the right note.

Can't think of any other film that comes close, certainly nothing made recently, although Memphis Belle is pretty good. CGI just can't compare with the genuine article.
Battle Of Britain is an all time great, one of the best films ever made!! truly epic, and some great scenes, not to mention a great music score.

Other films (other than dark blue world, which is a great film) that involve real aircraft are the dambusters and 633 squadron.

633 more so due to the fact that no mossies are left flying.