Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 10-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Default Bug or game's abstraction ?

Hi,

I purchased "Men of War" yesterday and I enjoy playing and learning the game mechanics. So far I have played "Baptism of fire" up to part four (attacking the village after repairing the KV-1) campaign. Then I stopped going further into the campaign and started to replay again and again part three and four , each time using different tactics and learning deeper the games mechanic (use of the keyboard shortcuts for orders , the different commands and game's control etc...)

Something strange happened during the part where I have to get rid of the six German soldiers positioned on the road just before the KV-1 repair. For the sake of learning different tactics I did this part several times and once just for the fun I did it using only one Russian soldier to get rid of the six enemy soldiers. Once he arrived close to one of the houses on the flank of three German soldiers I gave him Melee Attack order and and then a move order (just walk standing ,not crawling) behind the closet German soldier; he got rid of him with the melee Attack without any reaction from the German soldier positioned less than one meter next to him and so I did until all six German soldiers where all "killed", one after the other again without any reaction from the others. Of course I will not use this "tactic" again: it is fun but too gamey for my taste. I play on "Normal" difficulty level. Is it a bug or a game's abstraction ?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Approved Member

I dont use melee much at all except in the editor at random times but im guessing they didnt react b/c Melee is supposed to be a Stealth attack, the Germans are all turned around, facing the Trench so they just plain didnt see you.....if you had Fog of War on and if you could see thier view they only saw the area in front of them and infantry in this game are pretty oblivious to thier surroundings so they saw thier buddy drop dead but im sure it looked like he just died, you didnt appear on the screen to them.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
Melee is supposed to be a Stealth attack
I know; I just tried it out of curiosity and I was sure that my sneaking soldier would detected at some point.

Quote:
the Germans are all turned around, facing the Trench so they just plain didnt see you.....if you had Fog of War on and if you could see thier view they only saw the area in front of them and infantry in this game are pretty oblivious to thier surroundings
I tried this gamey tactic a second time and I clicked the German soldiers and I did see the red line showing their LOS and I understood then why they did not "see" me. They where not programed to "see" or "hear" what's behind them.

I am in the very last part of the tutorial and so far I really enjoy playing the game. If you do not use gamy tactics like exploiting some the particularities of this game - the way it was programmed - like this "blindness" ( which is mean for stealth missions) the game is challenging ,and very much hooking.

Thank you for answering.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

Lolz this game is hooking and once you start messing around in the editor it gets even more hooking haha....ive spent hours just sitting in the editor just placing units, shooting them, messing with the map and testing out stuff. Its amusing haha.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Approved Member

Its pretty silly. You can clear whole trenches if your good enough using stealth.