Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fulqrum PublishingGames > 7,62

7,62 Tactical action game, sequel to Brigade E5

Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Approved Member

Question Need help for Total CMA, Paint.NET & GIMP

Is there a way to disable Total CMA from immediately starting up onto my desktop when I start my system? I only need it for extracting skins, and to have another window to shutdown is an annoyance.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get Paint.NET recognize the mipmaps. Whenever I open up one of 7.62's DDS files, I only get the option to view ONE image, but if it's a mipmap, there should be more. How can I use Paint.NET to see/modify these extra default images? From scouring Paint.NET's forums, it's clear that Paint.NET can save in the DDS format, but I can't nail down if it can open up a DDS file and have all of its mipmaps show. Maybe this is unnecessary? I mean, does saving it in DDS format AUTOMATICALLY create mipmaps based on the main texture that's being worked on, or...? Any detailed input and advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

GIMP. I started looking at that graphics program last night in the hopes that it had a clear means of working with mipmaps, but I did a keyword search of its entire forum for "mipmap" and I didn't get even a single thread. That seems like a pretty strong indicator to me that GIMP doesn't support opening/saving in the DDS format--am I correct on this, or do I need a special plugin, or...?

I want to do these skins correctly, but I need to be sure that I have the right program that's FREE.

Alright, thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Approved Member

Have you tried removing TC from the Startup? Or removing it in the msconfig utility in the Startup tab?

As I've told you, I don't know much about texturing, but I do know how the game engine handles them. Maybe MoreDread or TodeswolF might be better at helping you choosing a suitable program.

I still think Photoshop with the DDS plugin is the best way to go, it handles mip-maps without any problems. You can just generate new ones when you save your edited files. I made 2 new uniforms and added the shoulder patch you made on one of them.

Here's anotherone I made, but it'll get changed once I have some new camo patterns to put on it.

I uploaded the pack for anyone that's interested, just PM me or join the chat at Mibbit and I'll explain which files to edit to change the model skin.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Approved Member

GIMP works fine with mipmaps.. whenever you load a dds you will be asked if you wanna load the mipmaps... but the most simple way is to NOT DO IT.

when saving a picture in dds format just tick the box to automatically save mipmaps and it will work fine in 7.62, theres no need to load them and edit them by hand.

even tho i think the gimp saves more mipmaps than 7.62 actually uses.. since the additional mipmaps are insanely tiny you won't really notice a difference
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Approved Member

Talking

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

R@S, it is STRANGE to see the insignia I designed sitting in a virtual reality already. Cool too. Thanks for sharing that with me.

MoreDread, a big tip of the hat in regards to using GIMP!!!

I'm drooling at the prospect of getting my fingers finally into this now.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Arrow Work in progress shot of Phantom camo...

Using GIMP.

Had no problems with opening up the .DDS once the .dds plug-in .exe was downloaded/installed into GIMP.

I'm trying to go for that chunky digicam look with a Multicam color scheme for the Phantoms.

Here's what's done so far...

Needless to say I need to add shadows, highlights, seams, and the insignia, but I'm excited about it for now.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Approved Member

Arrow Almost done with the Phantoms' uniform...

Wow. GIMP is AWESOME. Far superior to working with Paint Shop Pro 7!

The ability to save a custom-selected area as a BRUSH is brilliant!!!!!!!!!

Due to learning how to use GIMP, this is taking me more time than predicted, but here's my latest.

The next step is to add their insignia. Doing The Order's uniform should be much quicker. Can't wait to see them in-game!