Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insuber View Post
I'm starting to feel all this bridge detail hunt a little exaggerated. What's next, a request for progressive weathering of the bridge paint ? Priorities ...
Me too

But as a Londoner I saw some details posted here that were incorrect and it was difficult not to correct especially as were were invited to "comment" by Oleg on the posted updates.

Im not a chart monkey but the links I had provided hadn't been viewed and I simply put a visual aid to help.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-08-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post

I doubt if the Thames has been blue since the Romans arrived. A muddy brown with the occasional dead dog would be closer...
LoL..OK then: it was painted a muddy brown, but they changed it after too many dogs ran straight into the river .

The model looks fine to me, by the way. I think there is absolutely no need to alter it.

Flying online as Setback.

Last edited by major_setback; 02-08-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post

I doubt if the Thames has been blue since the Romans arrived. A muddy brown with the occasional dead dog would be closer...
Wadda ya mean, Romans? That mud is good natural mud, not pollution (mostly, even now), and it's been like that since long before the Romans.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

Hi Oleg,

Here in Marseille, we also had a bridge destroyed by the Germans in 1944.

Maybe you could use the attached pictures for creating a mission over Marseille ... who knows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ponttransbordeur1905dossaleviergegrande.jpg (190.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg transbordeur.jpg (58.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
The bridge was painted 'Thames Blue' during the war so that it could not be spotted from above by enemy aircraft, but it was later changed back after far too many civilian vehicles drove straight into the river.
If thats true , thats well funny......"isnit" ,"standed"
Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippy13 View Post
Hi Oleg,

Here in Marseille, we also had a bridge destroyed by the Germans in 1944.
Evil dzermanz
Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Approved Member

Water is naturally clear, and the perception of colour is dependant on particles suspended in it and light reflected from it. Therefore it's also dependant on time of day, nature of weather, and state of tide. (The Thames is tidal all the way up to Teddington lock) Thus the river looks browner as the tide goes out and the mudbanks are exposed - with the other extreme being altogether dependant on sunlight, cloud cover, blueness of sky and so on.

I wouldn't want to rely on hand-coloured photos or some of the cine-film which seems to have more garish hues than reality. Suffice to say that at full tide on a sunny day it looks at its best, but it never obtains the Mediterannean blue that the tourist photos suggest.

As far as the models are concerned, they look great! My request is to reproduce the drab result of over fifty years of unremitting coal smoke which polluted all of the buildings in London. Tower Bridge as modelled looks entirely convincing, just too clean and bright.

B
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Approved Member

I've taken hundreds of pics from on the River Thames

And be sure its mostly brown sandy mud silty colour.

Although I've seen it quite blue greeny looking in places also.

Here's some pics from my own collection showing how brown the water usually is, also overcast days makes it look murky too as the light cant hit the water to well..

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-09-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Approved Member

Further to how murky rivers in the UK can be, this satellite photo was from the time of the snow a couple of weeks ago, you can't see the Thames for cloud unfortunately, but look how far the brown extends out to sea from the river in the south west. If the mud from the Thames extends a third as far, then you'll never see blue water in London.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Approved Member

Hehe!

If I'm not mistaken, the colour of water is affected by the position of the sun in relation to the camera - if one is taking the pic facing the sun, the water will appear brown - if the sun is behind you, it will appear blue. That's "more brown" and "more blue"!!
I'm nowhere near water now to test this out (it's also nightime here in South Africa at the moment).
Anyone else hear that explanation? - I recall my father (a keen photographer in his day) telling me this.