Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

Default Will COD be stereographic 3D? Worth 3D monitor?

In the 16 Sep update, Luthier presented stereo screenshots for those with compatible monitors. he indicates the team is 'playing around with' 3d. Could/willl COD be true stereographic (have the option??), or is this just a screenshot novelty/trick? I assume that if so, we are talking 'true' Stereo with the shutter glasses, not movie theater throw away type of 3d......am I correct?

I ask, in part, because I'm building a new Rig, first completely new build since 2007.

Considering various 'normal' 2D monitors...
From a current August 2011 Review of best 27" LED monitors:
Viewsonic VX2753MH (about $360) or Acer 27” S273HL ($280)

From that August review: Newest and best 27" 3D monitor: Acer HN274H BMIIID 3D 27-Inch LED Monitor
" We’ve been waiting for the release of Acer’s 3D LED monitor for a long time and now that it’s finally here it doesn’t disappoint. The Acer HN274H is the world’s first 27 inch LED monitor which is nVidia 3D-ready. It is somewhat on the expensive side however, this version actually comes with nVidia’s 3D vision glasses included which cost you around $150 if purchased separately. Expect to pay additional money for any monitor that is nVidia 3D ready." (about $665)

If COD incorporates, or will be incorporating, 3D, I might go for the 3D Acer. I don't expect to upgrade for at least 4 years.

Any comments/addvice will be appreciated.

Last edited by DoolittleRaider; 09-18-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Approved Member

I have a Acer HN274H, its a good gaming monitor.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

Mh,

I recommend to do extensive self tests by watching 3d-movies. Try active and passive techniques, meaning shutter and color filtered glasses (anachromatic). The reason is simply that many people can't enjoy it over a longer timeframe - only maybe half an hour or so.

I must add something that many forget though: that is the basic image quality.
I wouldn't go for anything else then a PVA or IPS type panel. You will really notice the difference in image quality and colors.

By the way - many big studios announced they won't jump on the 3d train (not yet at least).
The 3d techniques currently used are actually very very old. In the days of half life 1 there was a trend for shutter based 3d as basically everyone had CRT screens that supported it due to their higher frequencies.
All current techniques will eventually die again - at least don't expect them to stay. They are way too geeky and failure prone. Many are not compatible and the technology is primitive.
There are new techniques on the horizon. For example autostereoskopic 3d and head up displays with "true" 3d.

But in the end it's up to you of course.

Last edited by Madfish; 09-18-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
But in the end it's up to you of course.
Your the only one that can say if its worth it.
I also have a Dell U2711 plus a 52 inch 3D TV in my bedroom.
I bought it more for the refresh rate then the 3D, the only game I've been playing in 3D is Deux Ex HR and it really looks stunning.
If the price is a big deal to you its hard to recommend a $600+ 1080p monitor but if you really want 3D and price don't bother you...it's up to you.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Approved Member

Will be interesting for those that spend big bucks on 3d gear when the fad dies out like it did so many times in the past.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

I wouldn't choose a proprietary technology!
I still have some old nvidia shutter glasses lying around that aren't usable anymore because there is no connector on the graphic card for them.
But they were really great with B17, the mighty eight.
If possible use a monitor for polarized glasses, i'd say.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
Will be interesting for those that spend big bucks on 3d gear when the fad dies out like it did so many times in the past.
Why interesting? Explain.
Some of the best TV's on the market are 3D regardless if you use the 3D part or not and you'd be hard pressed to find a high end TV without it....and the 120hz tn panels is still better then 60hz tn panels even without 3D.
Everything fades out. If you consider a few hundred dollars big bucks, don't buy it I guess.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Approved Member

Why would a 120hz TN?! panel be better than a 60hz one?

Also my point was that TN panels aren't good at all. If you're looking for a good monitor it's way better to invest in an IPS or PVA panel type one than into a 120hz TN panel one.

TV's are also very bad computer screens. Response time is way too high and other things like ghosting etc are also common.
Aside from that not everyone is a TV addict. I can't even remember the last time I watched TV and to be honest I'm glad about it. Interestingly I'm not alone as many of my peers don't watch TV at all. So it's a bit weird to assume everyone will get 3d capable equipment to play computer games on anyways.

Aside from that I also have these ages old nvidia shutter glasses. It was disappointing to say the least.

Autostereoscopy or real HUD 3d yes - everything else is just a marketing gag for the industry to sell new devices. And interestingly it's always the same culprits...
Old 09-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirds View Post

I don't think it will die out this time, the only thing is it might be improved upon, especially when glasses free 3d solutions start to become more mainstream... I have a 3d projector and it is one of the best upgrades I have done next to my SSD. Being able to watch 3d movies like you are in the theater is mind blowing.

Like others have said it has a bit to go for the gaming community, I get headaches in 2d with IL2, I couldn't imagine in 3d.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
Why would a 120hz TN?! panel be better than a 60hz one?

Also my point was that TN panels aren't good at all. If you're looking for a good monitor it's way better to invest in an IPS or PVA panel type one than into a 120hz TN panel one.

TV's are also very bad computer screens. Response time is way too high and other things like ghosting etc are also common.
Aside from that not everyone is a TV addict. I can't even remember the last time I watched TV and to be honest I'm glad about it. Interestingly I'm not alone as many of my peers don't watch TV at all. So it's a bit weird to assume everyone will get 3d capable equipment to play computer games on anyways.

Aside from that I also have these ages old nvidia shutter glasses. It was disappointing to say the least.

Autostereoscopy or real HUD 3d yes - everything else is just a marketing gag for the industry to sell new devices. And interestingly it's always the same culprits...
I'm not going to argue TN vs IPS......I have 2 IPS panels in house and sit in front of them at work. The quality can't be beat but I game on a TN panel and I prefer how smooth things seem with 120hz.

I don't assume everyone will get 3d capable equipment but a lot of TV's now have 3D as a feature, like internet and apps....its just there and some people still watch TV. In fact 3D is being adopted faster the HD was, I guess because its just that a feature.....and yes the glasses are dumb no one likes them....but thats what we currently have.

TV's really aren't bad computer screens,I wouldn't use it in my office but I have a HTPC connected to my TV( 7+TB Blu Ray ISO's and counting) save all F1 races to disk and even play some games but only ones I can lay back and play with a xbox controller...it works damn good.

I want 4K