Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Approved Member

Default engine warming up

Hi can anyone explain me why the I'm the only one that have to warm up engine while all the other planes take off immediately after the starting of the mission? What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Approved Member

As with IL1946 , because AI are not subject to CEM and immune ....
Old 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Approved Member

I think this is something that has to be fixed otherwise I have to reduce the simulation setting
Old 06-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Or you could lead the flight yourself.

I know what you mean though; hopefully this will be put right.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Approved Member

I don't know which mission you played, but as of now, I haven't seen an AI plane taking off immediately after engine start. In the early RAF campaign, 2 planes in front of you take off pretty soon, but they've got the engine already running at player spawn. All other planes have to, or at least did, up until now, warm up.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Approved Member

When you start a mission that requires 'take-off', press A for AI control (AI enabled in realism settings) and your plane will start and take off within about 10 or so seconds. I would think that this AI algorithm is the same for all AI controlled ac. I could be wrong of course but AI can see through clouds and have wonder woman view. Just take your ac into combat and press A....it's a hoot (and your AI won't bother about CEM!).......

Where have we seen this before.....?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Approved Member

Currently the AI has simplified routines in certain areas, because it takes too much processing power to do full CEM for all the aircraft at the level it's done for player controlled ones. To stop the AI from cheating by flying a simplified FM there are artificial limits being put in place as we go along.

I think the easiest way to provide a solution without using more CPU cycles is to introduce a delay between engine start and take off for AI aircraft, maybe having it depend on the AI's skill level.

For example, a rookie AI would have a longer delay to simulate an inexperienced pilot warming up. A veteran or ace AI would have a shorter delay to simulate accelerated warm-ups by a more experienced pilot (i do this all the time, step on the brakes and advance throttle a bit until the engine starts to shake and then back off a bit, when the temperatures climb a little higher i advance throttle a little more, etc, this makes the warm up much faster).

This would not have to be a complete CEM simulation that takes away CPU power. We could even add a bit of wiggle room to randomize things, also dependent upon AI experience levels to simulate that experienced pilots would be more consistent in their handling than inexperienced ones. It would just be an AI routine that goes like this:

IF AI_level=rookie then delay=X +/- 10% seconds
IF AI_level=veteran then delay=Y +/- 7% seconds
IF AI_level=ace then delay=Z +/- 5% seconds
Where X>Y>Z
etc etc

On another note, i made a sample Blenheim bombing mission to test out the FMB, setting the 4th aircraft in the take off row as player controlled. The aircraft in front of me do start up and take off immediately, but they don't follow the course until the rest of us are up in the air.

While i'm warming up (and delaying the take off of the AI behind me) the first three aircraft are circling the field waiting for the rest of the flight. I didn't have to provide waypoints for this or do something special, it just seems to be default AI behaviour to loiter over the field until the entire flight is up in the air, so their instant warm-up is not that big a problem.