Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
http://www.yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.com/
Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Approved Member

Ye-gads! The Hawk 75: thats superb news; you've made my day!

Beautiful looking cockpit....wow great update, thanks. We're pretty damn spoiled really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macwan View Post

Plus missing japanese planes, especially bombers.
I don't know the feasability of a chinese campaign.

Would need :
-Curtiss Shrike
-Hawk III
-Westland Wapiti
-Dewoitine 510
-Ki-10
-P-66
-DC-2
-He-111P (not sure of the version any more)
...at least...
The Sino-Japanese War is a big area of interest for me; thanks to some of TD's work (I-16 Type 5, I-15bis, as well the existing stuff like J8A/Gladiator) it seemed to me it was now possible to model - in the stock game - some of the core actions of the CAF from Nov. 37 (when the I-16 first saw action with the Soviets and the CAF 4th PG) right up to late '41 and beyond, if i was willing to live with some aircraft hacks and put some effort into giving stock maps a psuedo-Chinese look....in fact, if i was willing to live with loads of compromises!

This is what i've been coming up with:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...wtopic&t=10423

For me, the key aircraft to add for China scenarios would be the Hawk III, Ki-10 and G3M, although obviously the aircraft you listed would be the ideal set. Then theres maps - which would either be pretty darn big, or many smaller ones.

I'm making tentative steps towards learning the skills which i hope (probably far, far in the future) could contribute a little to bringing some of this China content to stock IL-2. Theres some intimidatingly great China stuff out there in the mod community....i'd love to see some of it in the stock game one day.

In the future, CAF fans have got the Hs-123 and SB to look forward to....and the Hawk 75! Bonanza!

@Pursuviant: thx for the reply

Cheers

Ted
Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Approved Member

Default Rather than repost....request for smoke effects

Should have posted here rather than main forum:

It has long been a real irritation for me when flying IL2 to see Modded versions with superb smoke effects.

I can appreciate that this may be an issue with Contrails as these could easily overload the Graphics engine so these could be kept 2D, but in close-combat the 2D sprite of Smoke is such an immersion killer I wonder if it is possible to consider allowing 3D smoke into the simulation?

The difference would be substantial and a real welcome addition....as would tracer smoke from wings..etc, etc.

Could DT ever consider this please?

A close-up example of engine smoke can be seen from 1m 30s:

And here is the promo for more effects at his website....this guy does incredible work:

http://youtu.be/QNKeEK34EC0

Cheers, MP
Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Global Moderator

Excellent effects, something we needed long ago.

Sometimes it's easy to fall into the trap of static thinking. The reason we didn't have those effects years ago..= FPS has always been an uphill battle.

Hardware just couldn't keep up with what we could imagine and create.

I always felt we should battlefield smoke that was like a fog that just hung over the battlefields in some situation. It has always bugged me to fly into an area we planned to bomb and everything was easter bunny clean and pristine.

No question effects like these are needed in all variants of Il2 - COD.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Global Moderator

Question

Artillery fire has always required a clear line of sight to fire on targets and the distance is very short (Gun to target). By that I mean if you were 200 yards from a target you must have line of sight to the target, and if a little hill is in the way you cannot shoot over the hill and hit the target.

In other words... artillery in IL2 can be described as cannons shooting like rifles. If you can't see it you can't shoot it.

Often, I used Flak guns. They were designed to shoot up, when the shells came down they exploded. So, I used them often to create the effect of artillery.

I don't know it it's possible in IL2, because someone on the development team long ago mentioned it wasn't possible. ---- Is it possible to have artillery that shoots like real world artillery from great distances. Artillery rounds should follow a defined arc path and shoot over hills, through trees and stuff to hit targets. It has always been an immersion killer to have enemy artillery within sight of the air base they were blasting.

Real world of battle, Artillery has always been way behind front lines. IL2 artillery has always had to be placed right in the thick of battle to work. Therefore, for the most part artillery was just used to create some effects of explosions and such.

Last edited by nearmiss; 05-17-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
I don't know it it's possible in IL2, because someone on the development team long ago mentioned it wasn't possible.
In one development update movie from before 4.10 (Triggers), you can see artillery shooting over an hill after a recon plane found some enemy targets.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 05-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Approved Member

Watched few videos from this effect mod. Here is my personal opinion: can not say, I like all of them. There quite a few great ones, but also a number of rather unrealistic ones as well.

I liked most the smoke effects, some ground explosions and ship bow wake. They are really great and are much of an improvement over the stock ones. But fires (either static, ground, or from aircraft), ship gun smoke and certain ground explosion effects aren't any better, then default ones. Some - even worse.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
In one development update movie from before 4.10 (Triggers), you can see artillery shooting over an hill after a recon plane found some enemy targets.
I didn't realize that. I always wanted to set up an artillery lines reasonable over 2 KM distance from battle areas, regardless of terrain.

Artillery doesn't have to be most precise in an air combat sim, because it is more for immersion. First person shooter games require a different artillery where locations can be pinpointed to knock out targets.

I'd just like to create battlefields where artillery is shooting at targets, enemy aircraft are trying to destroy the artillery, etc.

Nothing to do with precision, just creating the effects of battle fields even if the artillery has some randomness about hitting targets.

Il2 did this, but the distances were too short and the artillery was very darned effective at hitting targets in short distances line of site. So all the effort to setup artillery was pretty well a waste of time, the artillery targets were destroyed so quickly the immersion factor was pretty well nil.

Again... I use the heavier 88 and 85 MM flak guns within short distances to shoot at each other. It is funny you can actually drill down on an artillery to 3d and see the enemy flak gun from the gun you drill down upon. Still the flak guns shoot way up in the air and shells come down and eventually destroy the other flak guns. What a hoot, but a decent workaround to create the effects of artillery pounding the battle field. I usually line up about 20+ blue guns pointed in the direction of their counterpart, about 20+ red guns. Then set them on a time out so they start when your mission advances to the action area. It takes the flak guns several minutes to destroy each other, because the targeting is not good. You can get a very good battlefield under siege with flak guns used in this manner.

The explosions they make are pretty good and they look very good in low light conditions. I usually set the timeout so that as the player is approaching the battleground areas there are explosions going off all over the area. It looks like a battle is going on and the player is getting ready to enter a HOT zone.

If we can use artillery to work at greater distances we can accomplish these battleground views, and better still the remote artillery can be a target area as well.

Last edited by nearmiss; 05-17-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaQSoN View Post
Watched few videos from this effect mod. Here is my personal opinion: can not say, I like all of them. There quite a few great ones, but also a number of rather unrealistic ones as well.

I liked most the smoke effects, some ground explosions and ship bow wake. They are really great and are much of an improvement over the stock ones. But fires (either static, ground, or from aircraft), ship gun smoke and certain ground explosion effects aren't any better, then default ones. Some - even worse.
Just ask to integrate the best and not the worse. That would already be an improvement. Nothing is perfect in this world and the better is the enemy of the good.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

korean war?
air sim
Closed Thread