Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazex View Post
I recommend learning to fly with your right hand if you ever plan to start flying IRL. All planes are designed for right handed operation and you are actually not allowed to fly left handed as that is a risk factor with all handles positioned to be reached with the left hand (as the right hand is for the stick). I'm left handed and when I started flying IRL I got a very harsh reminder from my old flying teacher that "there are no left handed pilots!"... So I had to start flying with my right hand and it feels completely awkward now to try using the joystick with my left hand even though I'm left handed It goes faster than one might think for the brain to adapt...
dont alot of airbus planes have lefthanded joysticks?? anyway thanks for the feedback guys.
ive had my first few goes flying theres tons to learn, having just built my pc and got this as my first game(im sure most would say its a sim and not a game,but there is competition between players so for me its very much a game) so far no problems with the game as i got an overclocked sandybribge cpu and motherboard.

the thing thats most suprising is the depth, i think i could be flying for years and still have tons to learn.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazex View Post
I recommend learning to fly with your right hand if you ever plan to start flying IRL. All planes are designed for right handed operation and you are actually not allowed to fly left handed as that is a risk factor with all handles positioned to be reached with the left hand (as the right hand is for the stick). I'm left handed and when I started flying IRL I got a very harsh reminder from my old flying teacher that "there are no left handed pilots!"... So I had to start flying with my right hand and it feels completely awkward now to try using the joystick with my left hand even though I'm left handed It goes faster than one might think for the brain to adapt...
This makes no sense at all, surely you must be aware that most civillian and general aviation aircraft are with P1 seat on the left combined with a 'yoke' which is typically operated with the left hand while the throttle controls are operated by the right, left handers are only disadvantaged in tandem seat or single seat aircraft with a 'stick', the reality is you need to become somewhat ambidextrous to fly in real life, I can fly left hand with a yoke just fine but can't use my left hand on a stick.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition