Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I would provide infos on planes. 9 42.86%
I would offer translations. 6 28.57%
I don't care. 0 0%
Its stupid - better spend your time on something more important! 8 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Approved Member

Default Thinking about... [regarding in-game object viewer]

Hello folks,

now and then there are a few little discussions happening about updating the in-game object viewer. While some think, this is not urgent or essential and manpower should better be spent to something more important (and they may be absolutely right), I think most would agree, that this was to be a 'nice to have' at least.
Now, I admit, I do like the in-game viewer (as I do at all other games too, when available) and I wished it was complete.

Alright, so came to think, what to do about. While it is not hard to add all the planes to the viewer, it is, by far, much more difficult and time consuming to add the proper descriptions also. It needs not only correct plane specs and a general history story maybe, it also needs it for ALL languages, that the game is supporting. And not to forget vehicles and other objects, that had been added since then. Its impossible to do for one or even a few persons.
So how to cope with that? I had the idea, that this could be a long-term community project. If everyone here would provide infos and text for one missing plane, we would have it ready for the english version very fast. Ha! - I know, not everyone here cares to or is able to do so, it was just a thought.
But maybe it is still possible. This is a private interest of me, so not directly connected to DT's plans, but I think, I don't need to say, that, becasue I am a team member, it would definitly go into stock game, if it should be successfull. What do you think?

Brainstorming:
We would start with english.
I would list all planes with missing descriptions in a thread.
Anyone, who wants to add a text, names the plane, he has chosen and I mark it as 'WIP'.
Texts can be delivered as PM's, hosted text-files or right in the thread (I'm not sure here).
Once a plane got its description, I mark it as 'closed'.

Different versions of the same plane (i.e. B-17s) can get the same story all together (to make things easier), but differ only in the specs.

When the english version is once ready, translator guys must be found.

A big problem, that I can see, is the realibilty of the content. Noone will be able to control, if each specs are 100% correct. And I wouldn't want to make a discussion on each plane. So sources like Wikipedia or History Channel should therefor be avoided and text writers should maybe name their sources.

I'd like to hear your oppinions.
(and I added a simple poll, if anyone wants to declare his will to help)

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible

Last edited by EJGr.Ost_Caspar; 04-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.