Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Default Energy Maneuverability

Please Consider Energy Maneuverability

Before diving into the fight here I see an opportunity to introduce my axe to be ground into this fight, so as to leave less room for misunderstanding.

These Combat Flight Simulations are not new to me. The first Combat Flight Simulator I found was on the first Flight Simulator program offered by Microsoft, and it was a stick figure World War I hidden file in that program.

I went to Air Warrior, then Warbirds, then IL2, a brief look at Dawn of Flight, and now I have this Cliffs of Dover Combat Flight Simulator loaded onto an almost up to date PC.

I have been on Forums in the past, some of the regulars here may recognize my JG14_Josf username/handle.

My interest and concern has to do with accurate measures of relative performance and to that end my interest has to do with Energy Maneuverability.

Climb rates, top speeds, and sustained turn performance are distant secondary measures of Energy Maneuverability.

Please consider Energy Maneuverability.

I already checked this Forum, briefly, and I found this:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=34290

The basic Energy Maneuverability question has already been asked and that question is basically this:

Quote:
Cornering Speed: "The lowest air speed at which a fighter can obtain the structural or aerodynamic limiting G force."

In the "dogfight" situation, this is the speed I'm trying to maintain in order to "out-turn" an adversary. It's also the speed above which I must excercise caution to prevent "Over-G" damage. Below this speed I must remain "Stall vigilant.

Is there a central location where the cornering speeds of CLoD aircraft can be found?
In the course of my interest in finding out accurate information so as to accurately measure Energy Maneuverability modeled into this Combat Flight Simulator I will be working the angles of attack that intend to reach the goal of answering that basic question above, and there are a few vital questions that are derived from that basic, or principle, question.

Such as:

Are pilot g force limits equal for every on-line user of the game?

What is the pilot g force limit for any on-line user of the game?

Are any of the Fighter Planes modeled in the game with structural g force limits that are lower than pilot g force limits; therefore a pilot can break a plane before a pilot blacks out in this game?

Game = Combat Flight Simulator

I hope that my interest is well received here, and I further hope that all animosity can be set aside in a mutual interest in finding the facts, documenting the facts, and avoiding misunderstanding, confusion, misdirection, division, etc.

There are many reasons I can report here as to why these questions are vital as the Corner Velocity question exemplifies, since accurate information that accurately reports Corner Velocity is nearly the full measure of which plane is superior to the other plane in Aerial Combat.

I will try to recover my lent out copies of Fighter Combat by Robert Shaw, and Boyd by Robert Coram, and many other previously uncovered reports of vital information that can support the viewpoint that Energy Maneuverability is worthy of our mutual interest.

Corner Velocity is reported on the charts posted in the thread linked above, and I hope that I am not bending the rules too much by re-posting them now, since there are other comments that I think are vital as to these charts that report Relative Performance including Corner Velocity (instantaneous turn performance) and Sustained Turn Performance.

Questions concerning those numbers:

Are those numbers accurate representations of averages for production planes?

Are those numbers accurate for 2 specific actual airplanes?

Are those numbers based upon actual flight tests?

Are those numbers based upon calculations and if so who did those calculations, which formulas were used, and which data was used in those calculations?

Are the 109 Stall Lines (accelerated and sustained) based upon open or closed leading edge slats?

What exactly is meant by Full Throttle, does it include any additional settings having to do with maximizing manifold pressure or air/fuel mixture such as might be considered to be Combat Power?

Is there any information about game performance that is available (so far) to be able to plot out that same type of Chart which is an Energy Maneuverability type Chart.

Examples of Energy Maneuverability data can be found here:

http://www.aviation.org.uk/docs/flig...-FTM108/c6.pdf

Scroll down to:

Turn Performance and Agility
Figure 3.63
Turn Performance Characteristics

I hope that this can be a good start to a mutually beneficial discussion concerning Energy Maneuverability as this type of data can be documented and understood from historical data to actual game data whereby the interest is knowing accurate relative performance characteristics.

To that end there are multiple methods by which game performance can be precisely (within obvious tolerance limits) documented, so as to leave out subjective opinion (as much as possible).