Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I'm planning to run this on a stock i7 920 (2.7 Ghz) with 3GB of RAM and an Ati 4890 1GB. Later on down the road i might double the RAM to 6Gb (as i think it's been mentioned sometime ago that 3GB will be the absolute minimum) and get a 58xx series card when they drop in price. Should be fine i think.

I've said this in another thread that was purely tech-related by the way. I think that any amount of RAM over 6GB is somewhat overkill for gaming today, unless someone works with specific professional software suites that do make use of it on the same PC (eg, very high resolution photo/video editing with multiple instances running at the same time).

Future proofing a new PC is one thing and it's good, but buying something that might end up being superseded and replaced without ever once being used to its full potential is a waste of resources that could be spent elsewhere in a more efficient manner.
For example, if the next set of RAM sticks is a different kind of slot/frequency/voltage, i've never once used my 12 GB to their full by the time i do my next upgrade and my next CPU is incompatible with my old RAM sticks, then i've wasted money pure and simple. It's actually better to get a good motherboard, get an adequate but modest amount of RAM and stick with that until it's not enough for the job before buying more of it, as chances are it will also be cheaper down the road.

I don't know how much RAM goes for these days but i'd be more inclined to get 6GB and use the spare cash on or towards something else if its any meaningful amount, or just go out and have dinner and a few drinks if it's a small one.
The 4890 is cartainly the nicest price/performance card. 12GB is definitely overkill for RAM right now, but RAM is so cheap... Plus, selling 6GB in a couple of years for an upgrade won't bring in much cash.

Last time I bought a PC was 2003 -- I couldn't play Il-2 before that. The problem is if a PC runs out of power it's guaranteed to do it at just the wrong moment, and that was always what happened to me. Just as things livened up, it would start stuttering.

I used to ramp up the graphics, watch a pretty slide show for a few minutes just to see what it was like and then switch back to much more basic settings for playability. These years of frustration made me go PC crazy this time around...

dduff