Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Approved Member

Thanks BlackDog all really helpful stuff ...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgwanchos View Post
... Im looking at going for an e-IPS panel...A bit over budget but I love the reports of clarity and true colour reproduction as Im a keen photographer too...Im running an ATI 4870 1024Mb card by the way so I would prob stay with 22 inch....
Definitely go for an IPS monitor if you're into photography. Their marginally longer response time isn't an issue, and in a side by side comparison there's no contest in terms of colour reproduction (I've seen this for myself).

Going IPS drastically reduces the range of monitors available to choose from too, which can be seen as a good thing.

From Dell's latest models, you're looking at a U2211H (21.5") or a U2311H (23"). Both of these monitors have a 1920x1080 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio. So one isn't going to be harder on your graphic card than the other, and if you do have to turn the resolution down for increased performance, to 1680x1050, there'd only be a marginal difference in image quality between the monitors. (There are 26-27" monitors that use a 1920x1080 resolution and they look fine, though you wouldn't want to try and stretch that resolution any further. What this means is, 1920x1080 crammed into 21-24" is above spec and should look much better, hence the Ultrasharp name I guess). From what I can see on the Dell site, the only difference between the two monitors is their screen-size, their average brightness (with the 23" slightly brighter), and their cost. Going up to 24" though results in an insane price-jump (with a marginal increase in resolution). There are older models on the Dell site too but they're actually more expensive and don't have any real advantages as far as I can tell.

In the same price range, from Samsung there's the B2440L and the B2430L which are 23.6" 1920x1080 16:9 5ms monitors, with no difference between them other than their outer design.

From Viewsonic there's the VP2365wb and that's all I'm going to say about that.

HP are too expensive and NEC are insanely expensive (as are the other full-on professional monitors). LG announced just the other day two new 21.5" and 23" IPS monitors will be coming out in November but they're LED models and so will be too expensive too. And that's about it, as far as I can tell...

Samsung or Dell...

and...

Out of curiosity I just went to the UK Dell site (which has a crap layout btw, and no I don't want to take part in a survey), to see if they had the same monitors I found on my local Dell site, and saw the prices. I hope I don't sound patronizing, but I didn't realize how bad you guys are getting ripped off over there. Computer parts over here are generally subject to mark ups that are highly dubious IMO, but even so, doing a straight currency conversion, the U2211H (21.5") should cost 186GBP, not 292GBP (106GBP difference), and the U2311H (23") should cost 217GBP, not 351GBP (134GBP difference), with a 31GBP difference between the two models, not a 59GBP difference. Converting back the other way and seeing thsoe prices in my local currency, I'm not sure I'd want to pay those prices. Sort of puts a damper on the whole thing. As Blackdog said, it's probably a good idea to shop around and try to get those prices down.

It is worth it to have a good monitor though IMO.

Anyway, hope that helps, was doing it for my own knowledge as much as anything.

Last edited by Les; 11-04-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduff442 View Post
I've recommended the monitor I own before: the Asus VW266H. It's fairly cheap and can display any resolution up to 1920x1200 without distortion or blurriness.

dduff
I currently use this 25.5" monitor. For IL2 I use 1680 X 1050.

Stick
Old 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Definitely go for an IPS monitor if you're into photography. Their marginally longer response time isn't an issue, and in a side by side comparison there's no contest in terms of colour reproduction (I've seen this for myself).

Going IPS drastically reduces the range of monitors available to choose from too, which can be seen as a good thing.

From Dell's latest models, you're looking at a U2211H (21.5") or a U2311H (23"). Both of these monitors have a 1920x1080 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio. So one isn't going to be harder on your graphic card than the other, and if you do have to turn the resolution down for increased performance, to 1680x1050, there'd only be a marginal difference in image quality between the monitors. (There are 26-27" monitors that use a 1920x1080 resolution and they look fine, though you wouldn't want to try and stretch that resolution any further. What this means is, 1920x1080 crammed into 21-24" is above spec and should look much better, hence the Ultrasharp name I guess). From what I can see on the Dell site, the only difference between the two monitors is their screen-size, their average brightness (with the 23" slightly brighter), and their cost. Going up to 24" though results in an insane price-jump (with a marginal increase in resolution). There are older models on the Dell site too but they're actually more expensive and don't have any real advantages as far as I can tell.

In the same price range, from Samsung there's the B2440L and the B2430L which are 23.6" 1920x1080 16:9 5ms monitors, with no difference between them other than their outer design.

From Viewsonic there's the VP2365wb and that's all I'm going to say about that.

HP are too expensive and NEC are insanely expensive (as are the other full-on professional monitors). LG announced just the other day two new 21.5" and 23" IPS monitors will be coming out in November but they're LED models and so will be too expensive too. And that's about it, as far as I can tell...

Samsung or Dell...

and...

Out of curiosity I just went to the UK Dell site (which has a crap layout btw, and no I don't want to take part in a survey), to see if they had the same monitors I found on my local Dell site, and saw the prices. I hope I don't sound patronizing, but I didn't realize how bad you guys are getting ripped off over there. Computer parts over here are generally subject to mark ups that are highly dubious IMO, but even so, doing a straight currency conversion, the U2211H (21.5") should cost 186GBP, not 292GBP (106GBP difference), and the U2311H (23") should cost 217GBP, not 351GBP (134GBP difference), with a 31GBP difference between the two models, not a 59GBP difference. Converting back the other way and seeing thsoe prices in my local currency, I'm not sure I'd want to pay those prices. Sort of puts a damper on the whole thing. As Blackdog said, it's probably a good idea to shop around and try to get those prices down.

It is worth it to have a good monitor though IMO.

Anyway, hope that helps, was doing it for my own knowledge as much as anything.
The reason you get big price jumps from the 24" and up Dell models is probably that they use a different IPS subtype. The cheap, fast ones are the e-IPS panels, i guess the 24" is more of a "professional" one with slower response but better colour quality.

So, the new LG ones are LED-backlit, interesting....but if you look closer you'll see they are the same size as the Ultrasharps from Dell

I guess it's the same thing that happened with my monitor model as well. LG sold e-IPS panels to Dell, then made a monitor of their own with the same panel and minimal differences (outside bezel, stand, etc). So i guess that the 21.5" and the 23" from LG will for all intents and purposes be the same monitors as the Dell Ultrasharp ones of the same size. This means you are getting more options for the same, proven panel, which is never a bad thing (ability to pick the cheaper one, or one with an added feature/connector/etc).

As for the mark-ups, when i bought the Dell 2209WA i had read in forums that people in the US and Canada could get it for $150 to $200, often calling a sales representative directly and achieving favorable prices (the only thing you needed was someone listed as a business owner with his IRS/social security/whatever-they-call-it-in-the-US code, since the monitor was considered "professional" and they only did discounts for businesses), since these guys were probably trying to get bonuses by making more sales. At that time's conversion rates, it was small change in Euros.

However, i couldn't order from the US for a variety of reasons (long shipping times, extra damage risk due to increased travel distance, i doubt anyone would ship to Europe, plus the shipping cost might equal the price difference from an EU-based dealer), so i got mine for about 250 Euros last year (converted from British pounds), shipping included, from a UK-based online shop. The monitor's listing price here in Greece? On the official Dell website, it was listed a full 100+ Euros higher, with a starting price of 359 Euros. Meaning, if i wanted to order it from a brick and mortar shop that would need to make some profit on the sale and not directly from Dell's local dealers, it could easily climb up to 400 Euros
Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
The reason you get big price jumps from the 24" and up Dell models is probably that they use a different IPS subtype.

So, the new LG ones are LED-backlit, interesting....but if you look closer you'll see they are the same size as the Ultrasharps from Dell

As for the mark-ups...I couldn't order from the US for a variety of reasons...
Yeah, the 24" Dells are 1920x1200, so using a different kind of screen.

Interesting about the new LG/Dell similarities, you could well be right about their being the same basic screens.

Dell states in their fine-print something about sales restrictions between countries, so like a lot of companies, you can only buy them where they want you to. I don't really want to get into that whole subject, sufficed to say they've got it covered, as in the end it wouldn't be worth it to get around their restrictions.

I got a good price for my monitor just by chance, as they were being cleared out as end-of-line stock for several hundred dollars off their normal price. I couldn't resist that, even though it was still expensive, and I don't regret it at all. Don't know what I'd do now if I were looking for monitors, but I'd definitely be considering the Samsung B2440L.

Anyway, I've said my bit, enjoy whatever you've got, or get.