Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

Default Yak-9 Nyet...Yak-3, Da!

I'm playing the Battle for Berlin. The mission calls for Yak-9s, but, the airplanes are clearly Yak-3s. No Oil Cooler under the Nose.

Oooops. First error I've noticed on this game.

LJB
Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

Yak-3 never had oil coolers under the nose, incase anyone was curious. The Luftwaffe was told not to do combat with the Yaks that had the oil cooler deleted from the nose, under 5-6,000 ft or they would be chewed up. Yak-1, 7, and 9s were the only ones with oil coolers under the nose. Also, if you look at the Yak-3, the plane all around is smaller.

And I realized that as well when I read the debrief. I thought I'd never get my Yak-3
Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Approved Member

I know what a Yak-3 looks like. The Yaks in the BOP are labeled as Yak-9s, but they don't have Oil Coolers under the nose.

In other words, the Yaks in BOP look like Yak-3s, but are labeled as yak-9s.

Get It?

LJB
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Approved Member

Yak-9U's don't have the oil coolers under the nose either. In fact, they look so similar to Yak-3's, I have no idea how to tell them apart at a distance. I'll post some screenshot links in a moment.

The major difference is the -9U is notably faster, but not quite as agile.

Addendum: Ok, so I was going to try to get photos uploaded, but apparently Multiply is broken at the moment. So if you go here you can see a side drawing of the -9U, showing how in that model, the oil coolers have been moved to the wing roots, and the radiator has been moved further aft, when compaired to the earlier Yak-9 versions.

Last edited by Voyager; 09-17-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Yak-9U's don't have the oil coolers under the nose either. In fact, they look so similar to Yak-3's, I have no idea how to tell them apart at a distance. I'll post some screenshot links in a moment.

The major difference is the -9U is notably faster, but not quite as agile.
The difference is that the Yak-3 has the VK-105PF-2 Engine, and is shorter all around. While the Yak-9U, has the less reliable VK-107A and above Engine. It is pretty much the same dynamics as the Yak-9T and other Yak-9 variants, but has a oil cooler deleted from the front below the nose, and was put I believe just a bit between the wings, in the fuselage.

The Yak-9 through out it's production, had all sorts of engine problems. The Yak-3 was the most reliable. And also, the Yak-1 and Yak-9T in the game both have oil coolers below the nose.