Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend

King's Bounty: The Legend Real-time RPG with turn-based battles. Move through the fantasy world of fearless knights, evil mages and beautiful princesses.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Approved Member

Question King's Bounty Vs Heroes V

I played KB but was curious about the game it is likened to, Heroes V.
I recently bought Heroes V on ebay and I just want to know if it is going to be a bit like KB when I get it.
So please post your thoughts!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

I rate KB as one of my top 10 or perhaps 20 PC games of all time. I spent well over 200 and possibly 300 hours playing it before I finally got bored. I will buy the expansion the moment it is available on Gamersgate, and probably any games Katauri make in the future.

HoMM V, I bought Tribes of the East a few weeks ago and downloaded a patch which gives the earlier campaigns as well. On the surface there appears to be a fair bit of similarity between the two, especially in terms of the combat. HoMM V has more of a strategic layer, but it's still pretty simplistic.

The first two missions of the ToE campaign were a lot of fun and quite difficult on normal difficulty. I found the first campaign of the original HoMM V very easy and quite boring. After about 20-30 hours of play, I stopped playing and started playing something else. (Space Rangers 2: Reboot).

KB has the x factor that HoMM V lacks. I also don't like the traditional mission structure in HoMM V, which requires you to build up your towns from scratch every mission. This was also a problem in Disciples 2.

So I guess I am saying KB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> daylight >>>>>>>>>>>> HoMM V
Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Approved Member

Homm V
+ Multiplayer
+ map editor
+ random map generator
+ various level up/hero scenarios, interesting skill tree
+ many maps available download
+ you can create maps that would exactly meet your player / skill level (as soon I thought I have exploited all hidden bonuses and found a way how to use them on full extend -> I just created DUEL MAP where I enjoy how AI is stuck before 300 black dragons and I could defeat them with minimum loses... still I fear that HOMM V AI cheats somehow... if AI hero defeats a very difficult stack, I realize he bears minimum loses)
- balanced

- You may spend more time in map creator, instead of playing the game
- scenarios are quite linear, as you find out when and what army will pop up before your main hero -> you just reload few turns before and you can totally prepare
- campaign can looks like too difficult for starters, boring for second time players
- apart of general balance - if you are lucky, you get the right spells with the right skills and you rule... you can defeat 20x stronger enemy neutral stacks 10x stronger enemy heroes...5x stronger enemy human player (artefact that negates all mind imunities, frenzy + control, you cast frenzy on one unit, control mind on another, blind also is good combo -> so even if enemy hero may counteract with dispell, you can level up your hero that she will cast faster/quicker/more often than enemy hero - you won the map
- town portal can't be exploited -> blame me - I have reported due beta test, that if you place heroes the castles you don't want teleport to, town portal will bring you to the nearest empty castle (like cheating) now if you place hero in the nearest castle - town portal does not work at all

I played HOMM V for a long time... but it is because I could create mapst to my likings... I have finished only one campaign and found it boring (but I am not campaign guy at all - I didn't like any campaign, since Homm 2, where I loved to play first for good, then evil, than for only evil for ever and ever
Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatts View Post
Homm V
+ Multiplayer
+ map editor
+ random map generator
+ various level up/hero scenarios, interesting skill tree
+ many maps available download
+ you can create maps that would exactly meet your player / skill level (as soon I thought I have exploited all hidden bonuses and found a way how to use them on full extend -> I just created DUEL MAP where I enjoy how AI is stuck before 300 black dragons and I could defeat them with minimum loses... still I fear that HOMM V AI cheats somehow... if AI hero defeats a very difficult stack, I realize he bears minimum loses)
- balanced

- You may spend more time in map creator, instead of playing the game
- scenarios are quite linear, as you find out when and what army will pop up before your main hero -> you just reload few turns before and you can totally prepare
- campaign can looks like too difficult for starters, boring for second time players
- apart of general balance - if you are lucky, you get the right spells with the right skills and you rule... you can defeat 20x stronger enemy neutral stacks 10x stronger enemy heroes...5x stronger enemy human player (artefact that negates all mind imunities, frenzy + control, you cast frenzy on one unit, control mind on another, blind also is good combo -> so even if enemy hero may counteract with dispell, you can level up your hero that she will cast faster/quicker/more often than enemy hero - you won the map
- town portal can't be exploited -> blame me - I have reported due beta test, that if you place heroes the castles you don't want teleport to, town portal will bring you to the nearest empty castle (like cheating) now if you place hero in the nearest castle - town portal does not work at all

I played HOMM V for a long time... but it is because I could create mapst to my likings... I have finished only one campaign and found it boring (but I am not campaign guy at all - I didn't like any campaign, since Homm 2, where I loved to play first for good, then evil, than for only evil for ever and ever
Gatts, this very clearly demonstrates one of the crucial differences between HoMM V and KB:TL. From what you said, it sounds like multiplayer and map editing is a big part of HoMM V, two things I have never been interested in. What I want in a game is an engrossing single player campaign, and this is why I much preferred KB:TL.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post
Gatts, this very clearly demonstrates one of the crucial differences between HoMM V and KB:TL. From what you said, it sounds like multiplayer and map editing is a big part of HoMM V, two things I have never been interested in. What I want in a game is an engrossing single player campaign, and this is why I much preferred KB:TL.
Funny is that I also much more prefer KB tL ... somehow I wonder myself (maybe I become just fed up by my own map designing/ working on the strategy... and enjoyed great prepared scenario from KB...)
Old 12-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

The main difference is that Kings Bounty is an awesome one-shot singleplayer experience, while Heroes V is multiplayer-oriented likely to be played over and over again.

What I find really interetsing is the presence of leadership, a factor which perfectly adjusts game balance suring the very long run. In HV after a while your armies either grow way too big for any oposing enemies or singlpeplayer map design forces creator to put ridiculous numbers of creatures to provide any challenge at all. Also, the number of possible bonuses, artifacts and rewardgiven in single player is quite limited and hard to overcome.

This, however, was intended to work fine for short two-months skirmishes between players, especially on very popular duel maps. Not to mention there's even a separate mode called duel mode, where all you do is fight instantly.

Quite simply, I find KB refreshing full of interesting ideas, but by now too simple to be considered as favourite game.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post
Yes, this is correct. In single player KB:TL dominates HoMM V without a doubt. KB:TL is simply en excellent game - there is no doubt about that. For multiplayer, though, HoMM V and particularly the second expansion TotE is a very good game indeed (and I also dislike competitive games - I play HoMM V multiplayer cooperatively to defeat the AI).
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Approved Member

KB:TL is in my top ten games ever. 15+ years of gaming. I played it solidly for two months, like 4-6 hours a day, every day. I was addicted. Then, finally, I stopped in mid November. Heh, I even deleted the shortcut off the desktop so I wouldn't play any more.

Now I just booted it up again for the first time since 16th Nov.